Do/or have you used a camelbak?

JayyVee

IT Overlord
Reaction score
Visit site
I will be having a surgery soon and afterwards it is a challenge to get the hydration needed. When riding I don't want to stop every 15 minutes for a drink. So, I am considering a camelbak as I wear a full face helmet. If you have used one, or use one regularly please let me know, in your opinion, what the pros and cons are.

I have used my old mtn bike camelbak on 2 different 3 hr long mtn rides - was glad to have icey water on my back - and in my tummy! Did not effect the ride at all, forgot it was on me most of the time till I felt the need to hydrate.

Weight is not a problem, less than my backpack for work with my laptop and change of clothes in it.. :)

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Of course there are form fit options too!! Although these may have better applications than riding....
Blah Blah
attachment.php

nivag

Reaction score
Visit site
I use a Kriega R15 with a 3L camelbak bladder - I normally only put 2L in unless I think I might not have a chance to refill during a very long ride.

aclayonb

Reaction score
Visit site
Local Wal-wart sells a mini bladder (way cheaper than Camebak brand) that fits in a tank bag. I'm not a huge fan of wearing a 3L bak while riding (preference) but a 1.5 isn't bad. Just make sure you get L-shaped tube attachment. It will fit under the helmet better.

If you're trying to roll on the cheap/minimalist, you can get a 1L military canteen with the camelbak straw adapter. Those work pretty good and take up a lot less space / weight.

Hydration is a fickel thing. On maneuvers, I've never put down over 18L per day. I've gotten by with as little as 2L in 18hrs of steady work in 90+ heat but it's not the recommended technique. I can't imagine sweating so much on a motorcycle that I would need Camelbak level hydration though. Once you've used one for a while and get over the "cool-gear" factor, it becomes more of a PITA than its worth.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Local Wal-wart sells a mini bladder (way cheaper than Camebak brand) that fits in a tank bag. I'm not a huge fan of wearing a 3L bak while riding (preference) but a 1.5 isn't bad. Just make sure you get L-shaped tube attachment. It will fit under the helmet better.

If you're trying to roll on the cheap/minimalist, you can get a 1L military canteen with the camelbak straw adapter. Those work pretty good and take up a lot less space / weight.

Hydration is a fickel thing. On maneuvers, I've never put down over 18L per day. I've gotten by with as little as 2L in 18hrs of steady work in 90+ heat but it's not the recommended technique. I can't imagine sweating so much on a motorcycle that I would need Camelbak level hydration though. Once you've used one for a while and get over the "cool-gear" factor, it becomes more of a PITA than its worth.

Be careful of the cheap bladder and hose. You will taste the difference and what you'll be tasting is very probably not good for you. A few of us SoCal member hit the desert and water is important to us. We are sometimes well over 100 F and in fullgear. I have a small Camelbak and I don't ever think about it until I'm thirsty. If I'm on the road all day I get it refreshed with ice.:)

aclayonb

Reaction score
Visit site
Be careful of the cheap bladder and hose. You will taste the difference and what you'll be tasting is very probably not good for you. A few of us SoCal member hit the desert and water is important to us. We are sometimes well over 100 F and in fullgear. I have a small Camelbak and I don't ever think about it until I'm thirsty. If I'm on the road all day I get it refreshed with ice.:)

Never noticed any taste issues. The Camelbak is a good product for those that need to haul a lot of water and have it handy. As for the off-brand, I have noticed that there are more physical strength issues, as they are not normally made for military use. If durability is a concern, I recommend getting a military version. I've had both military and civilian bladders and the difference is obvious (and important if you drop a ruck on it).

LFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site

The surgery I will be having requires me to drink small amounts regularly as I will be at high risk for dehydration. Since we ride for usual over an hour before a quick break I need some hydration in between.

aclayonb

Reaction score
Visit site
Ooh, you need a bikers camelbak. Think mountain biking. They have really compact bladders for this purpose. Maybe 1l and kinda square. Fits in almost anything.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Never noticed any taste issues. The Camelbak is a good product for those that need to haul a lot of water and have it handy. As for the off-brand, I have noticed that there are more physical strength issues, as they are not normally made for military use. If durability is a concern, I recommend getting a military version. I've had both military and civilian bladders and the difference is obvious (and important if you drop a ruck on it).

Yes I've seen quite few military friends that have military issue and they are well done.