Do/or have you used a camelbak?

LFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
I will be having a surgery soon and afterwards it is a challenge to get the hydration needed. When riding I don't want to stop every 15 minutes for a drink. So, I am considering a camelbak as I wear a full face helmet. If you have used one, or use one regularly please let me know, in your opinion, what the pros and cons are.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Yup, have used it on longer rides. No real cons to speak of.. you can barely feel it on your back if you get a small-ish one. It's a great way to stay hydrated without stopping.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I won't leave the house without one if my ride is going to be more than an hour when it's hot. I also used it when I taught the MSF classes back in Vegas when the blacktop gets over 130 degrees during the summer.

I will either fill it up with water and freeze it the night before or just fill it up with pure ice on the day of. During all day rides, I would top off with ice during every fuel stop.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Do you wear it over or under your jacket? Also, does it stay cool? Any suggestions on good ones?

I wear it over the jacket. Camelbak Classic is a good way to go.. even available in high-vis color!

To keep it cool, I typically fill the bladder about 2/3 of the way and put it in the freezer over night (positioning it so that all the water freezes at the bottom). Take it out few minutes before the ride to let it thaw out just enough so the cap can be unscrewed and fill it all the way.

Stays cold for 4-5 hours.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Just remember after sucking in the fluids to blow back the excess trapped in the tubes. You don't want any water trapped between, otherwise the first time you suck in after you used it once will be warm or even hot, just like water trapped inside a garden hose.

Marthy

Reaction score
Visit site
Just remember after sucking in the fluids to blow back the excess trapped in the tubes. You don't want any water trapped between, otherwise the first time you suck in after you used it once will be warm or even hot, just like water trapped inside a garden hose.

:shakehead: I'll make sure my wife don't read this. LOL

major tom

Reaction score
Visit site
I use a platypus in my tank bag and just run the hose up to my helmet. Every long trip it's there. I'm fresher, more alert, and ride better being well hydrated. Good luck on your recovery!

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Most all my riding is long and I always have my pack with me. I ride with full gear during the summer in SoCal and in the desert areas. That water is so important to me!.

Tip: After I use it I take the hose off. The new Camelbaks have a quick release on the bladder. I pull the bladder and dry it out with paper towels. I bunch a paper towel and leave it inside the bladder and hang it on my closet with the cap open. This way it dries completely. I have compressed air so I squeeze the bite valve open and blow compressed air through the hose till it's dry.

My pack is always fresh going on 3 years now! Sometimes I'll rinse it with some baking soda and then dry it.

I'll sometimes stop at Starbucks and get a couple of cups of ice to throw in. :)

Yeah..Love my Camelbak!!! :rockon:

tejkowskit

Gold Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Anything over an hour and I'm bringing my camelbak (model is the rogue to be specific). I wear full riding gear and the camelbak is comfortably worn over my jacket. My helmet has an intercom with boom mic and doors not interfere with drinking out of the but valve house. The 2L of water is unnoticed in terms of weight.
My camelbak also has a few pockets for keeping snacks in and carrying items when off the bike.
I usually fill it up every gas stop I make. If ice is available I'll get some, but so long as I have water to drink I'm happy.
As far as keeping cold I'll put half with ice and the rest full with water, but as mentioned I don't fret if my water isn't always ice cold.

^^ I second this

I find using a hydration system helps fight fatigue substantially and the ride is overall more enjoyable.

I've had my camelback over a year and also use it for mountain biking. I've landed pretty hard and rolled onto the hydration pack and it had held up very well.

FZ09Bandit

�� Paramedic ��
Reaction score
Visit site
Had one in the army, loved it lol. Great for anything. You can even by fancy elixirs for them. Be careful using anything else.

banjoboy

Reaction score
Visit site
Don't use 'em cuz I'm real old school, butt all the young'ins I ride w/ use 'em.
Just rode fer over 5 hrs in 103 degree heat yesterday without stop'in ta drink. Wonder if'in I get dehydrated? :don'tknow:

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Most all my riding is long and I always have my pack with me. I ride with full gear during the summer in SoCal and in the desert areas. That water is so important to me!.

Tip: After I use it I take the hose off. The new Camelbaks have a quick release on the bladder. I pull the bladder and dry it out with paper towels. I bunch a paper towel and leave it inside the bladder and hang it on my closet with the cap open. This way it dries completely. I have compressed air so I squeeze the bite valve open and blow compressed air through the hose till it's dry.

My pack is always fresh going on 3 years now! Sometimes I'll rinse it with some baking soda and then dry it.

I'll sometimes stop at Starbucks and get a couple of cups of ice to throw in. :)

Yeah..Love my Camelbak!!! :rockon:

I used to dry mine after every ride ... too much work Blah
Now I just rinse, dump out the water and throw it in the freezer :D

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Hint: if you wish to wear it under the jacket there are some slender ones out there with thick long runners to keep it off your back when full of ice and allows it to breath. --> Nishiki Adult Oswego 70 oz. Hydration Pack (2 liters). It can be over or under jacket.

It has a quick disconnect, a huge opening for filling or cleaning (think ziplock)... Lastly, in the summers heat take their advice and fill them completely full of ice if you actually want it cold all day. With practice you can snake it into FF helmet no problem.

Druff

Reaction score
Visit site
Yep, great for long rides in hot weather. For a full face they make a 90 bend mouth piece that is easier to use than the straight connector.

And the guys option to freeze the bag if you have forethought otherwise, ice works good too! I've also wrapped the bladder in foil/thermal insulator for those longer rides.

Chaotic29

Reaction score
Visit site
OGIO makes decent hydration packs. The one i have had for the last 5 years is far better than my camelback i had before and alot easier to fill and clean. Their bags are large enough that they also double as backpacks when you dont use the bladder
cant find the one i have online. but they have alot of decent choices

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
My Camelbak is 4-5 years old now showing a little bit of wear. Very compact. :rockon: