Does this sound like a good deal?

CoreyFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
I found a 2006 FZ6 with 2800 miles, its all stock and comes with 2 scorpion helmets. I went and looked at it and the bike is like new other than a few small nicks from the guy droping it sitting still in a parking lot. Only thing is i couldn't take it for a test ride because its in the dudes basement and he has no insurance on it right now. I got to hear it run it sounds good. He wanted $4500 for it and i waited a week later and called him and got him down to $4100 do you think this is a good deal? Kelly blue book says trade in value is $3610. Next thing i am 18 and i want to keep the insrance down thats why i am looking at this bike instead of a rocket. How good do they run? Here is a picture of it sorry for the crappy quality of my cell phone.

0724081959.jpg

id go for it but i dont even own one either but from the words of the others on this forum you wont be dissapointed

Oblisk is right, you will not be disappointed with this bike; unless you're looking for something that will go 200 mph. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but an '06 for $4,000 sounds pretty good. I have an '07 as my first bike and love it. This bike is amazingly quick and fun, be careful not to get too c*cky on it though, I did and it threw me some humility.

Alright or i a found a 2008 kawaski ex 650r for $4500 for 2800 miles. Now i am trying to decide which one.

I found a 2006 FZ6 with 2800 miles, its all stock and comes with 2 scorpion helmets. I went and looked at it and the bike is like new other than a few small nicks from the guy droping it sitting still in a parking lot. Only thing is i couldn't take it for a test ride because its in the dudes basement and he has no insurance on it right now. I got to hear it run it sounds good. He wanted $4500 for it and i waited a week later and called him and got him down to $4100 do you think this is a good deal? Kelly blue book says trade in value is $3610. Next thing i am 18 and i want to keep the insrance down thats why i am looking at this bike instead of a rocket. How good do they run? Here is a picture of it sorry for the crappy quality of my cell phone.

0724081959.jpg

The trade-in value was probably for a bike in good condition. That one isn't. I'd say $3100 is about the right price range, assuming you trust that the "drop" was all that happened. That tank looks pretty bad for just a simple parking lot "drop". Make sure it tracks straight. You _might_ be able to tell that just from sitting on it. If you hold the handlebars normally and the wheel looks "off-center" then I'd subtract another $500 from the price since you'll need to have a professional fix that.

PS: At your age the insurance is going to be high regardless of whether you get an FZ6 or an R6. You are smart for going used since if you can buy it without a loan you can get a bit off your insurance by avoiding (or just reducing the cost with a bigger deductible) the part that covers damage to the bike itself. You usually don't get to make that choice if you get a loan.

Alright or i a found a 2008 kawaski ex 650r for $4500 for 2800 miles. Now i am trying to decide which one.

Also a good bike, on par (ouch - did I really say that? :eek:) with the FZ6 for most purposes. But I'd be wondering why someone would trade in an 08 with only 2800 miles. Something wrong with it...? If you can test ride that one I would ... Anyway, I prefer the FZ6 over 650R, but I've owned numerous Kawasakis and never had one I didn't like.

but for a starter bike you should be looking more for something like a old 250 kawasaki or a Suzuki gf500

Im 21 and have ridden ALOT of other bikes R6 ZX6R GSXR600 all the so called Super Sports, and IMHO i wouldnt trade my 06 FZ for any of them, the SS make about 10 more "wheel" hp which isnt a ton more, and the power of the FZ is in a way more usable range making it alot more fun to ride, not to mention its comfortable.

I have full coverage on mine and its $74 per/month

As for the price of the bike, i payed 4100 for my used 06 with 1300 miles and it has a scuff on the fairing from scraping a stuco wall. i really cant tell what kind of shape the bike u r looking at is from the pic, but i dont think its a terrible price if its in decent shape

According to the pic, does the gas tank have a dent? Personally, I would be in favor of the FZ vs the 650R. As far as insurance, it depends with who.... as some companies ( State Farm )don't consider the FZ as a sportsbike.

I give you credit for finding this site and asking for sound advice. I have posted a thread in the Main Lobby Forum, and it should be near the top as a sticky thread on how much we all paid for our bikes. There are numerous threads on riders who purchased used bikes, you will just have to read thru them, so take a look.

Don't really discount the fact that you are getting a two helmets. Even if it fits properly, which I doubt, you really don't know if it's ever been dropped. A helmet is only good for ONE impact, which includes a drop.

As far as the price....with no dent in the tank, $4000 IMO

THe picture just makes it look like it has a dent in the tank. There is no dents just a few scuffs that in can buff out. I got the bike for $4000 with the 2 helmets that don't have any sign of being droped. I think i got a pretty good deal on it considering the price i have been seeing them going for. Now i just need to go get my permit.

Sounds reasonable to me. The 650R is like of an odd looking bike to me and the motor isn't much towrite home about. Parallel twins are ok, the FZ motor is amazing.

Enjoy your new bike and welcome!

Be safe and keep the shiny side UP.

:welcome: I think you made a good choice and the price sounds ok if the dent is only in the pic and not in the bike. :thumbup:

And I highly recommend you get the MSF course if you haven't already. Besides the wealth of safe riding instruction you'll get a discount on insurance with MSF cert. And in VA you can use the MSF to substitute for the "riding" portion of license test. Not sure how PA does it but you might want to check it out.

Last edited:
Well i went and got my permit today not i got to get use to the bikes before i take the license test. I am ready to let the mods begin.

Congrats on the bike - you'll love it. Put your money in good gear which will last you with other bikes. Do the mods later. It is a great bike stock.

Congrats on the bike - you'll love it. Put your money in good gear which will last you with other bikes. Do the mods later. It is a great bike stock.

+1,000 on the gear. Forget the MODS until you have been riding for a while. You are better off to spend your money on safety gear at this point in your riding career. Get a good jacket, boots, gloves and pants. As a new rider, you are more likely to drop the bike or get caught in a situation that only experience would have been able to help you out of or avoid to begin with.:thumbup:

I know that does not sound like as much fun as modding your bike, but your skin will thank you for it.:(

Oh and welcome to the party!:welcome:

Back