Don't Give Them An Inch

Koissu

Reaction score
Visit site
Learned my lesson today. After a beautiful ride in, I was exiting from the interstate and to my surprise, they had finished paving the 2nd half of the two-lane/one-way road that I travel on for about a mile to work (yesterday it was torn-up and grooved). Naturally, road markings are limited..

As I start going down the hill in the right lane, I am avoiding man hole covers, that although appear perfectly flush, I'd still rather go around. I made the mistake of going further and further right, rather than weaving within the entire lane. I see a black Camry speeding up approaching and I assume she is going to pass me, but no! She apparently thought my lane was wide enough for the two of us and passes within 1-2 feet of me, totally oblivious. I honk as she passes (perhaps not wise, as she was definitely 'elderly', maybe that would've shocked her) and that is the end of that. Nothing crazy, but certainly interesting.

Anyways! We were going about 40mph so it wasn't THAT fast, but I now understand why you can't give cagers ANY room to even consider doing that. :D

52pickup

Reaction score
Visit site
After taking the riding course to get my license last year...I am slowing finding out just how risky it is out there on the roads. Not that I didn't take know this, but riding puts all those lesson into context. I commute mostly, not every day, but enough to see a whole lot of crazy going on. There is so much information that we riders have to process as people and construction sites blossom into congested mazes - you just can't take anything or anyone for granted.
:Sport:

beatle

Reaction score
Visit site
I'll be the first to say it in this thread - a set of loud pipes will help reduce (not eliminate) the number of people who ignore you. I still ride defensively, but there has been a noticeable change in the number of times I've had to use an exit strategy since I got new cans.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
When you're in traffic you must expect anything. It's not necessarily whether you give them an inch or not. No matter how experienced a rider you are there's always an automobile to teach you a new trick. A five mile an hour impact with an immovable object can cause very serious injury let alone 40 miles an hour. I've seen 5 mile an hour crash tests with cars that did not have 5 mile an hour absorbing bumpers and the dummy's head hit the windshield without a seatbelt. Each experience ridng will teach you something new and add to your overall experience and also the experience of others. Thank you for sharing! :)

Sent from Moto's Motorola

SamuraiMark

n00b++
Reaction score
Visit site
She apparently thought my lane was wide enough for the two of us and passes within 1-2 feet of me, totally oblivious.

Don't give other riders an inch either. Just last week I had some asshat (on a Harley ... if that matters ... I'm sure that matters ...) blow past me on my right in the right hand lane (as in, I was in the right hand lane and he passed to my right between me and the kerb), with maybe 2-3 car lengths between me and the 4-Wheels ahead of me, then walks on the brakes.

- Mark

2wheelieadv

Reaction score
Visit site
Passing in the same lane is a common practice in Europe. But I see no issue with it if done right, providing that you and the driver expecting it.
The same with bikes. I rereally change lanes to pass a bike (normally on his left) , just make sure that he sees you.

Thinking about your instance, being far right could save you, cas who knows, the grandma could've rear-ended you were you in the center.

Last edited:

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
So after reading this in Saturday, I was out for a breakfast ride and came across a section of milled road. I moved further left so that I could stay I. The side mirror of the cage ahead of me and avoid the raised manholes. Sure an s#*t the cage behind me invades my space and is going to pass me in my lane. A toot of the horn and my best "WTF" body language got them to back off quickly. Got the stebel over the winter, putting it in REAL soon. And maybe taking up rock collecting in my tank bag. How is it that as a society we are getting dopier?

PhotoAl

Reaction score
Visit site
Had a cager do that to me, we were in the middle lane and he was looking to move into the left lane! I didn't see him coming! After that I always ride in the left side of the lane - maybe if I'm in front of them they will see me.

Mark - that was the only way the Harley could pass you!

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
I have found that a high visibility vest is the best safety investment if you ride in traffic a lot. Even senile drivers can usually still see bright colors. :thumbup:

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I honk as she passes (perhaps not wise, as she was definitely 'elderly', maybe that would've shocked her)

What kind of horn do you have? If you have the stock horn, get rid of it, it's useless. Make sure you get a louder horn, like the Stiebel Nautilus, a 130 decibel air horn that sounds like it's coming from a freight train. I don't dictate the usage of my horn based on age, if it warrants the blast, they will receive it.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
What kind of horn do you have? If you have the stock horn, get rid of it, it's useless. Make sure you get a louder horn, like the Stiebel Nautilus, a 130 decibel air horn that sounds like it's coming from a freight train. I don't dictate the usage of my horn based on age, if it warrants the blast, they will receive it.

Kenny scared the crap out of me with that Stebel!:eek: That thing is loud!

Koissu

Reaction score
Visit site

Oh, just the stock horn. I knew there was something else I needed to get ; )

FZ09Bandit

�� Paramedic ��
Reaction score
Visit site
Don't give other riders an inch either. Just last week I had some asshat (on a Harley ... if that matters ... I'm sure that matters ...) blow past me on my right in the right hand lane (as in, I was in the right hand lane and he passed to my right between me and the kerb), with maybe 2-3 car lengths between me and the 4-Wheels ahead of me, then walks on the brakes.

- Mark

Those guys get the immediate Rev bang. Along with the fire that shoots out of my tailpipe.

I will drop it down a gear, flick the front tire about 6 foot into the air and give a big c ya!