Dual throttle cable ??

dimos

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi everyone,

My kill switch has gone bad, due to rust on the connectors and it has also become too loose.

While I was trying to clean the connectors, and disassembled the kill switch unit, I noticed the existence of the following two thick cables:
- one cable which connects on the throttle grip (throttle cable)
- a second cable, right next to the throttle cable, which connects to... "nowhere"?? There is only the external black cover (protector), but the actual inner cable is missing.

It seems that my bike is missing a part...and that the previous owner should have warned me about.

What is this cable's purpose exactly? I am a bit concerned about the safety of the bike without it..

On the FZ6 parts catalogue, I find it as "throttle cable #2". What is its use? How is it possible for the bike to run without this second throttle cable connected?? Is it safe?

Thank you

S

Shamus McFeeley

Most bikes are designed with a "push/pull" cable design. It is a safety feature so that if one cable snaps, you can still make it home and or not get into a fiery heaping wreck. While you can operate off of one cable in an emergency, both are suppose to be present. I assume you're talking about #6&7 in the picture

STEERING_HANDLE_CABLEGif.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

04fizzer

Reaction score
Visit site
It should connect to the throttle bodies. It acts as a safety in case the throttle sticks, so you can manually shut the throttle.

dimos

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the quick answers,

I have already purchased a new pair of cables and will install them both..

Cheers

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
It should connect to the throttle bodies. It acts as a safety in case the throttle sticks, so you can manually shut the throttle.

+1 on the above, the second cable (return) will NOT OPEN THE THOTTLE, just manually close it should the other cable rust up, seize, etc.

Technically, you can run the bike without the return cable but it is an added safety feature.

The other end of the return cable will attach to the opposite side of the throttle bodies, opposite the pull side (just like up at the handlebar)...

fidz07

Reaction score
Visit site
Out of curiousity, how long do the throttle cable usually last...? On an average daily commuting bike..
Any signs/symptoms of the cable wearing out..?

S

Shamus McFeeley

The life of a cable is directly related to how well you maintain it. I've never had a throttle cable snap on a street bike, and I've owned bikes 20+ years old with the original cables on it. I have had cables snap on dirtbikes/ATVs, mostly due to the conditions they were ridden in. A sure sign that a cable is wearing out is sudden increased resistance. When the cable has a "sticking" spot, or will not retract after being engaged, it's time for a new cable. Sometimes you can get away with cleaning it, but almost always once it has reached that point, the damage is done and you are running on borrowed time.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The life of a cable is directly related to how well you maintain it. I've never had a throttle cable snap on a street bike, and I've owned bikes 20+ years old with the original cables on it. I have had cables snap on dirtbikes/ATVs, mostly due to the conditions they were ridden in. A sure sign that a cable is wearing out is sudden increased resistance. When the cable has a "sticking" spot, or will not retract after being engaged, it's time for a new cable. Sometimes you can get away with cleaning it, but almost always once it has reached that point, the damage is done and you are running on borrowed time.

+1 on the above...