Dunlops, what am I doing wrong?

FZ09Bandit

�� Paramedic ��
Reaction score
Visit site
I don't need SS tires. Like I said I doubt I can outride any tire lol.

Things have been hectic with work, school and clinicals. It's starting to slow up thank god. I looked at some angel GTs or shinko ravens.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Things have been hectic with work, school and clinicals. It's starting to slow up thank god. I looked at some angel GTs or shinko ravens.

Keep in mind that good ST tires will stay on your bike for at least 10k miles. Having said that.. I wouldn't try to go cheap on them. Ask [MENTION=14469]motojoe122[/MENTION] what he things about Ravens, now that he's running Mich PR2. I know PR2 is going on my bike for the 2nd time, when I go through my current set of Metzeler Z8.

FZ09Bandit

�� Paramedic ��
Reaction score
Visit site
I had ravens on the fazer before it was stolen and I never had a problem, but you're right the 20 extra torque may have something to sa about it.

I was looking online at bike bandit for tires any other good website?

Last edited:

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I had ravens on the fazer before it was stolen and I never had a problem, but you're right the 20 extra torque may have something to sa about it.

I was looking online at bike bandit for tires any other good website?

Personally, I'm not a fan of BB. The few orders I placed with them.. had to wait a while for them to ship items out.

One of the best places, from my experience with customer service is motosport.com. motorcycle-superstore is good. sportbiketrackgear is good too.

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Keep in mind that good ST tires will stay on your bike for at least 10k miles. Having said that.. I wouldn't try to go cheap on them. Ask [MENTION=14469]motojoe122[/MENTION] what he things about Ravens, now that he's running Mich PR2. I know PR2 is going on my bike for the 2nd time, when I go through my current set of Metzeler Z8.

Actually, the ravens were great. It was the 005 advance that I got burned on. The front tire had a defect that ruined my first track day. Am I glad I spent the extra hundred bucks for the PR2'S....F :) CK YEAH! If you are a speed limit commuter, the Shinko tire is great. At some point I'll try the T30's, but for now I'll stick with the PR's.....track and street proven!

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
BT-016 Pro an S20's both gone off the rear in 3.5 to 4k. So you burning them down in 3k is not alarming.

I did find an important quote which may be fitting...
** paste**

By: Graham Kozak on 4/30/2014
According to a poll conducted on behalf of tire manufacturer Bridgestone, 6 percent of American adults would prefer to get a colonoscopy than to change a flat tire. We're not sure what to make of that -- perhaps some gastroenterologists are real charmers.

Burt2707

Reaction score
Visit site
I whacked a set of Angel GT's on the FZ6N a month or 2 back, am incredibly happy with the wet traction. Before the change was quite slippery when wet, to the point of trying to stay vertical in roundabouts (no idea on age of old tires, still above wear line but starting to flatten off), but with the pirellis can basically ride like it's dry (for my level ;) ).

Just did an advanced riding course while it was absolutely bucketing down, with enough confidence to start finding my own limits, still no where near the bikes...

erburtt

Reaction score
Visit site
I recently swapped out my tires, I got 25,500 km out of my battle axe bt23's... so that's almost 16,000 miles

Before and After:

I would say the most likely reason for your early tire failure was the fact they were the tires that got put on in the factory, I have never seen a bike with stock tires get very good life out of them. Like someone else mentioned they get deals with the tire manufacturers going and don't result in the highest quality tires being used despite what name they might have on the sidewall

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I recently swapped out my tires, I got 25,500 km out of my battle axe bt23's... so that's almost 16,000 miles

Before and After:

I would say the most likely reason for your early tire failure was the fact they were the tires that got put on in the factory, I have never seen a bike with stock tires get very good life out of them. Like someone else mentioned they get deals with the tire manufacturers going and don't result in the highest quality tires being used despite what name they might have on the sidewall

Your new tire looks like a Michelin PRIII

Water Bear

Fireball
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
For what it's worth there was a thing in a Cycle World where a reader had a dual compound tire that was manufactured incorrectly, with the soft compound in the middle and the hard on the outside. Possibly your problem?

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
How is it costing you $500 for a pair of tires?! That IS assinine.

Michelin Pilot Power 2CT (dual compound sport).

These tires grip like a supersport leaned over and wear like a touring tire when on the highway. I have 6,000 on mine on the FZ6 and keep them at 36 psi rear, 33 psi front They still feel great in the corners.

Oh and they cost $230 per set on sale. Every motorcyclist who puts more than 5,000 miles/year on their bikes needs a manual tire changer and tools!

MG-242

Reaction score
Visit site
Never trust the dealer or anyone else for that matter to set your pressures. This is especially true if you took the wheels in, ie they were off the bike. When they mount them they inflate them much higher than what you would set them to in order to set the bead. If they're off the bike, most dealerships won't even attempt to set them. They'll leave them high as a convenience assuming you'll let a little air out and set them to your preference. Then, after that, as previously noted, check them weekly. If you don't know what pressures they were set to, that's why they wore out in 2500 mi. Remember, the only thing between you and the road is your tires. Cutting time, corners, money on tires will eventually cost you.

FZ09Bandit

�� Paramedic ��
Reaction score
Visit site
How is it costing you $500 for a pair of tires?! That IS assinine.

Every motorcyclist who puts more than 5,000 miles/year on their bikes needs a manual tire changer and tools!

I may have exaggerated a little, its been a long while since I bought tires lol.

A manual changer huh? does make sense. but unfortunately for me I have to by a lift as well. a great feature not carried over from fazer to fz :(

Il pay more attention from now on, those dunlops weren't the best most definitely in rain.

a set of the pilot 3s will run 307$ shipped. of course it will cost a flat 100$ for a damn factory drop and swap.

Last edited:

bdevries

Reaction score
Visit site
My blasted OEM tires don't looks like they're ready to go anywhere anytime soon at just under 8K :)

On an 07? Thats some pretty old rubber.. mileage is important when deciding when to change, but so is time.

The angel Gt is an awesome tire. Likely the best rated ST tire on the market.

iviyth0s

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
On an 07? Thats some pretty old rubber.. mileage is important when deciding when to change, but so is time.

The angel Gt is an awesome tire. Likely the best rated ST tire on the market.
I know I know, many a member has given me the lecture. And i appreciate your concerns as well! I know the risks, and am extra extra easy on them (which will probably cause them to last even longer :rolleyes: ). Thanks though :thumbup:

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I know I know, many a member has given me the lecture. And i appreciate your concerns as well! I know the risks, and am extra extra easy on them (which will probably cause them to last even longer :rolleyes: ). Thanks though :thumbup:

I'll likely be pulling my Q3s off, after next track day (few weeks from now). You can have them very cheap, including installation. They will be 100% better/safer than what you're running now.

iviyth0s

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'll likely be pulling my Q3s off, after next track day (few weeks from now). You can have them very cheap, including installation. They will be 100% better/safer than what you're running now.
Dunlop Q3s?? How much tread is left on em?