Dunlops, what am I doing wrong?

FZ09Bandit

�� Paramedic ��
Reaction score
Visit site
Looked at my back tire today and it already has wire showing.

I know the middle wear out a lot faster than the sides and I ride pretty agressivly around turns. But there is a good tread on the sides. I wish there where more turns but I'm always going straight.

I don't understand how a 300$ tire wears out in 2500 miles.

Carlos840

Reaction score
Visit site
Are you sing a dual compound tire?
If most of your riding is done in a straight line it might be worth doing so!

I run the Bridgestone Bt023 and after 6000 miles the rear tire is getting close to the wear marks in the center of the tire, i think i will finish this season on it and change it before i park the bike for winter.

iviyth0s

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Are they super sport tires?? Though that sounds super low even for them...

Maybe just ride sideways until you can wear out the sides Blah , maybe the 9 just was too much for them?

FZ09Bandit

�� Paramedic ��
Reaction score
Visit site
Are they super sport tires?? Though that sounds super low even for them...

Maybe just ride sideways until you can wear out the sides Blah , maybe the 9 just was too much for them?

Yamaha said they were specifically for this bike. 500+$ every 2500 is assinine.

Psi is whatever it was when I bought it + or - a few

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Yamaha said they were specifically for this bike. 500+$ every 2500 is assinine.

Psi is whatever it was when I bought it + or - a few

:eek::confused::eek::confused:

You have to check your air pressure on a regular basis! What type of riding are you doing? Factory tires are usually off a bid on a contract to the manufacturer and the quality may be different. Oh yeah! Torque cost rear rubber. :rockon:

FZ09Bandit

�� Paramedic ��
Reaction score
Visit site
:eek::confused::eek::confused:

You have to check your air pressure on a regular basis! What type of riding are you doing? Factory tires are usually off a bid on a contract to the manufacturer and the quality may be different. Oh yeah! Torque cost rear rubber. :rockon:

Yeah I know I just neglect it and get into a hurry. Will watch it more closely

Last edited:

nivag

Reaction score
Visit site
Seriously keep an eye on the tyre pressures and never trust the people that fit them to even put the correct pressure in either.
Changing the psi can really affect how the bike handles.

mrphotoman

Massive Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I got 2600 miles out of my stock tire on my ninja 1000 and unless you are buying your tires from the dealer $300 for a rear tire is a little more than double what they cost online.

Lefty

Quis, mihi fatigo?
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
This is just from my personal experience, but after convincing myself that I needed super sport tires to maintain the traction I thought I needed to ride "quickly" on public roads, I found after a few years of testing my theory that sport touring tires have recently provided more than enough traction for street riding. I've ridden thousands of miles with some very experienced, fast and capable riders from our forum and I've yet to find any of them who are using ST tires to have reached the limits of grip with their tires to make them switch back to SS tires. That being said, my latest combo of a rear Bridgestone BT023 and a front S20 worked well. I got 5400 miles out of the front until it reached the wear bars on the edges. The rear BT023 at 5400 miles still has a few thousand miles left on it and this week I replaced the front S20 with the Bridgestone T30 ST tire.
As an additional note I've found a lot of riders under inflate their tires when it comes to street riding which will drastically reduce the miles and handling which they get from their tires. As Motogiro says, checking your tire pressure should be a regular part of your pre-ride routine. :thumbup:

tejkowskit

Gold Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I mostly ride semi aggressive and st tires have NEVER left me feeling like I need more traction. One in a while I'll ride hard. I have scraped pegs plenty of times and accelerated hard out of sharp turns and my st tires have never gotten away from me.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
+1 on the ST touring tires.

Not mentioned is the additional low end torque you now have vs the FZ6. The more torque/HP, the faster you eat tires.

My FJR with Bridgstones, maybe 5,000 miles on a tire, tops (front and rear)...

With ST Michelins, on the much lighter, less low end torque of the FZ6, I have about 13,000 miles on the front(maybe 2/3 worn). The rear, ST tires, can't say, I pick up too much crap in the rear tire and replacing way before its due.

Its rare my tire shop see's me anymore..

Something as well, learned from my Bridgestones on the FJR. Especially as you rack up miles, the more tread grooves you have, the more scalloping your going to get at the end of its life. The front Bridgstone, at the end of its life, was terribly scalloped..

The PRII's on the front have much less grooves than the newer model tires, I'll be sticking with the PRII as a replacement once due

Last edited:

FZ09Bandit

�� Paramedic ��
Reaction score
Visit site
Even when I had the fz6 I went through 2 sets of battle axes under 10k. Guess that's nrmal then.

Going to go shopping around

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
+1 to pretty much all of the above.

1. Correct tire pressure is critical for best grip and tire longevity. Check at least once a week.
2. If you're positive you need SS tire for the street, you're likely taking curves at three times the posted limit. ST tires will easily handle curves at double the limit (not that I'm advocating it.. just saying).

FZ1 has a lot of *go* at higher RPM and I won't lie to you.. I occasionally like to get on the gas hard. With that in mind.. ST tires lasted more than 12k miles on my bike.. including a track day where they still provided adequate grip.