Dyno tune with CO adjustment Leo Vince

krid80

journeyman of epic status
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.surdykeharley.com
I am very very curious as to how a stock 06 FZ6 puts down 89hp. I dynoed mine with a filter and scorpion C/F cans and i got nowhere near those kinda numbers.

ps: I even did an oil change a couple of days before the runs and changed to AMSoil. Still didnt see the numbers i hoped for but full synthetic makes my bike really really happy now. :rockon:
View attachment 27126
sry forgot to change mph to rpm.
78.37 hp and then 81.49hp without the airbox lid.

View attachment 27127
38.63 ft-lbs and 39.67ft-lbs without airbox lid

whats ya'll secrets to getting these high 80's and 90's hp numbers?

Those numbers are way low. heck! my buddy's 1993 FZR600 put 86 to the tire. Might check the dyno's calibration or correction.

As for C1 C2 being inner or outer cylinders, that was always speculation. I am surprised you got anyone on the phone to talk about adjusting CO. Anyone stateside that would answer a consumer call would not be able to find out simple answers let alone something so technical. The theory sounds good, but I question the credibility of the guy on the phone. Not to say he is wrong, but why is he talking to consumers?

Capo79

Viking spirit
Reaction score
Visit site
Those numbers are way low. heck! my buddy's 1993 FZR600 put 86 to the tire. Might check the dyno's calibration or correction.

As for C1 C2 being inner or outer cylinders, that was always speculation. I am surprised you got anyone on the phone to talk about adjusting CO. Anyone stateside that would answer a consumer call would not be able to find out simple answers let alone something so technical. The theory sounds good, but I question the credibility of the guy on the phone. Not to say he is wrong, but why is he talking to consumers?

Well... It might have something to do with people being less afraid of getting sued outside the States;)

Or Yamaha Scandinavia might be more willing to talk to consumers than what Yamaha in the US of A is. Dunno.

Wyotech kid

Reaction score
Visit site

It was a Dynojet and it was calibrated to near perfection and correction was good.

N

Naykid

whats ya'll secrets to getting these high 80's and 90's hp numbers?

Mid 90's HP requires a Powercommander and a new map.....which is kinda funny that krid80 says you don't need a powercommander.....but yet he has one. He says not to waste your money on a power commander...and that no yamaha with fuel injection needs a powercommander or a remap....but yet he has both.

Here's the bottom line> If any of you want your bike PERFECTLY mapped when using aftermarket exhausts or air filters.....you must RE MAP. No amount of fooling around with CO values in the diagnostic mode is a re map. You must get a powercommander or it's equivalant.....and run a map that matches the pipe you are running. There is no other way if you want maximum horespower...the best rideability...and half decent gas milage.

If yours runs good enough without a PC and new maps.....that's great...but it can be better.....a lot better.

krid80

Elite Member
Reaction score
www.surdykeharley.com
Mid 90's HP requires a Powercommander and a new map.....which is kinda funny that krid80 says you don't need a powercommander.....but yet he has one. He says not to waste your money on a power commander...and that no yamaha with fuel injection needs a powercommander or a remap....but yet he has both.

Here's the bottom line> If any of you want your bike PERFECTLY mapped when using aftermarket exhausts or air filters.....you must RE MAP. No amount of fooling around with CO values in the diagnostic mode is a re map. You must get a powercommander or it's equivalant.....and run a map that matches the pipe you are running. There is no other way if you want maximum horespower...the best rideability...and half decent gas milage.

If yours runs good enough without a PC and new maps.....that's great...but it can be better.....a lot better.

not true. I sell power commanders but find them unnecessary unless you are super picky. I own one because I sell them and am a computer nerd. Also, I wanted to prove that a first gen FZ6 could use a PCV. And it does.

edit: in my first post in this thread I proved that mid 90's does not require a power commander.

Last edited:
N

Naykid

not true. I sell power commanders but find them unnecessary unless you are super picky. I own one because I sell them and am a computer nerd. Also, I wanted to prove that a first gen FZ6 could use a PCV. And it does.

edit: in my first post in this thread I proved that mid 90's does not require a power commander.

If you find power commanders "unnecessary" ...then why do you have one on your bike?

Do you work the parts counter at a motorcycle shop? Is that what you mean by "I sell power commanders"?

Bikebiz

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Naykid, you seem very passionate about power Commanders and custom maps in your short time on this forum! What's your background out of interest?

To Krid's defence, he did the CO tune a long while back and the PCV only recently. The common theme seems to be that it's not a mandatory for a custom tune, but it certainly offers benefits. I can't comment as I haven't dont it just yet (next week). I plan to give my bike a brief run with the mild airbox mod and LV pipes, PC3 on zero map, then hit the dyno for a custom and see the difference.

N

Naykid

Naykid, you seem very passionate about power Commanders and custom maps in your short time on this forum! What's your background out of interest?

To Krid's defence, he did the CO tune a long while back and the PCV only recently. The common theme seems to be that it's not a mandatory for a custom tune, but it certainly offers benefits. I can't comment as I haven't dont it just yet (next week). I plan to give my bike a brief run with the mild airbox mod and LV pipes, PC3 on zero map, then hit the dyno for a custom and see the difference.

I'm not passionate about power commanders at all. I'm passionate about all the bad advice being applied on the Internet by newbs who think they know everything about motorcycles.
I take issue with Krid80 saying that "only picky" people use power commanders. And he also said...."no yamaha with fuel injection needs remapped". Both statements are very lame and obviously made by someone with very little experience modding motorcycles. I also take exception to Krid80 speaking on behalf of a Yamaha motorcycle dealership. There are many people here that take his word as gospel because he works for a motorcycle shop....but in fact...all he does is sell parts.....which requires NO experience or training....or even a GED.

I am a factory trained motorcycle mechanic and have been working on motorcycles professionally 12 years.....and privately for 45 years. I am an ex roadracer and tuned and prepped all my race bikes. In addition...i have continuously ridden EVERY year for 47 straight years. I have owned nearly 70 motorcycles and have modded the exhausts on at least 30 of them. I am very familiar with jet kits...power commanders...juice boxes....TRE devices....and tuning fuel injection. Yet a newb like Krid80 calls ME a troll.

I know that custom tunes are not mandatory on some bikes and FZ6'S in particular. I'm not argueing that at all. All i am saying is that if the exhaust is changed.....and you want the a/f ratio to be right at all rpms.....you have to remap. There is no other way. If people like popping exhausts and wearing out the engine due to lean mapping.....then that's ok with me. But don't say that it's only for picky people...that's nuts. There are millions of power commanders sold all over the world. You think that they are only sold to picky people because they are picky? No...they sell millions because people want their bike mapped properly like it should be.

I do not work for power commander nor have anything to do with power commander. I do know that custom maps are required if you want the bike to be right.

krid80

Elite Member
Reaction score
www.surdykeharley.com
There are many people here that take his word as gospel because he works for a motorcycle shop....but in fact...all he does is sell parts.....which requires NO experience or training....or even a GED.

Nope, I am not a parts guy. But my advice sells the Power commanders.

I did call you a troll because you join up and in your first five posts, start slinging inflamatory comments about how we are all doing it wrong.

That falls right in the definition of troll.

I, too, am a service guy. And Yamaha until a couple of months ago did not condone the use of aftermarket tuners but rather, recommending adjusting CO's to make up for a lean or rich condition.

This year, Yamaha began selling Power Commanders through their Big Book catalog and as such, I conformed and am now using a power commander.
BUT... the other way works too.

We are arguing the same side of an arguement, really. Just stop acting like such a jerk and we are all easy to get along with.

N

Naykid

Nope, I am not a parts guy. But my advice sells the Power commanders.

I did call you a troll because you join up and in your first five posts, start slinging inflamatory comments about how we are all doing it wrong.

That falls right in the definition of troll.

I, too, am a service guy. And Yamaha until a couple of months ago did not condone the use of aftermarket tuners but rather, recommending adjusting CO's to make up for a lean or rich condition.

This year, Yamaha began selling Power Commanders through their Big Book catalog and as such, I conformed and am now using a power commander.
BUT... the other way works too.

We are arguing the same side of an arguement, really. Just stop acting like such a jerk and we are all easy to get along with.

You work in service huh? At what Yamaha shop?

N

Naykid

we are one of the biggest ones around the area.

you should post up the list of bikes you have owned.

I made a list once. It took me two weeks to remember all the bikes the best i could after calling friends and family to assist. Then the computer crashed and i lost the list. There were 60 on the list.

Backwards....used 07 FZ6.... used 08 DL650 just sold.....new 06 Triumph Daytona 675 naked conversion....used 05 Honda 919....used 98 Honda VTR 1000.....etc etc...

v1jay

Reaction score
Visit site
Gosh - i'm probably gonna sound like a troll too now... C1/C2 adjustments did not make a difference for my bike, in fact it did jack for me - in the end I purchased a PC3 :)

On a budget, give the C1/C2 settings a go.... however IMO PC's will have far better control of fuel/air management [properly tuned map loaded of course...]

Sorry bro - no more troll posts from moi...

vj

krid80

Elite Member
Reaction score
www.surdykeharley.com
Gosh - i'm probably gonna sound like a troll too now... C1/C2 adjustments did not make a difference for my bike, in fact it did jack for me - in the end I purchased a PC3 :)

On a budget, give the C1/C2 settings a go.... however IMO PC's will have far better control of fuel/air management [properly tuned map loaded of course...]

Sorry bro - no more troll posts from moi...

vj

That was not a troll statement, but rather it was outlining your experience. Thanks for posting your findings. Did you adjust on a dyno or just by ear?

A Power Commander is most definitellly going to give more control over Air/fuel than C1/C2.

sublime0713

Gun nut
Reaction score
Visit site
Krid-loving the new user title.

FWIW, I've done the CO adjustment after reading this thread way back and after adding my Scorps and K&N, by ear only as grasping for a few horsepower seemed unnecessary for the cost of a PC and dyno tune. I felt a little by the butt dyno and the popping was less noticeable. Feels better, sounds better, so thanks Krid. :thumbup:

Last edited by a moderator:

v1jay

Reaction score
Visit site
All adjustments were done on a Dyno, i think i posted my results on page 4/5 i think.

I did not know one could perform a tune by "ear" krid - lol... is there something your not telling us - hahaha

Last edited: