Dyno tune with CO adjustment Leo Vince

krid80

journeyman of epic status
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.surdykeharley.com
Yeah actually most shops "tune by ear" when a dyno is not available. Basically on a simple FI adjustment (like C1/C2 gives) you add fuel until decel pop disappears or take away fuel until decel pop begins then go back a hair.

We tune by ear when the customer doesn't want to pay for dyno time. On the 2004-2007 Victory motorcycles you use a computer to adjust the TPS set point which basically adds or removes fuel basline of their map. They also have "cards" you can have programmed into them which changes the map completely but can be further "tuned by ear" to get it running a little better. This FI system is very primitive and you can only add or remove fuel as a whole and not add some here, remove some there like you can with a full tuner (like Lloyd's VFC3 or a Power Commander). For 2008, Victory (and the EPA) locked out any further fine tuning without a programmer.

Bryan-

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm a silent listener.. searching the forum for all the info I can find to treat my 2010 FZ6 S2 with all the best.. but quit the drama and focus on the awesome Leovince exhaust pipes! :cheer:

urbanj

Reaction score
Visit site
You're all wrong and I am right. ANY motorcycle or car or truck or whatever should have a piggy back or aftermarket ECU fitting and a dyno tune to run its best because even from the factory the tunes are conservative for engine safety and the general public.

I win. :rolleyes:

Boneman

Instructor
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.bonemanfz6.com
@Naykid & sublime,

ENOUGH! Anymore and I bring out the ban hammer. Think I'm joking, just try me (and this isn't a threat, this is what WILL happen).

Cleaning up post

N

Naykid

come on guys, let's not do this on here.

-

Hey...you and I are cool. I don't know what the other guys problem was. I think the original dissagreement came about when you posted a LONG time ago about the CO tune...and that was BEFORE you got the Power Commander on the bike. Now that you have the proper a/f ratio at all RPMs i bet it's a lot better to ride. Anyway...no prob from me. Most shops do not "tune by ear" though. Don't know how that's possible.

Bryan-

Reaction score
Visit site
Krid, a quick question; I'm really considering buying a pair. I like the current engine sound (stock) but it's just a bit shallow.. at 10k rpm's it makes engine noise but hardly any exhaust noise so to speak.

I'm just not sure about the length of the exhaust, they stick out pretty far. I read your post about the GenI and GenII Leovince pipes (presume GenII is for 2010?) but are there any differences in the amount that they stick out the back?

I have a 2010 FZ6 S2 with half-fairing and i'm hoping you can either convince me to buy a pair of or to let it be and wait for Two Brothers to get EU approved.. :rolleyes:

Besides that i'm also wondering if I should go for titanium or carbon.. my bike is midnight black :thumbup: .. in case I buy! :cheer:

..well not a 'quick' question after all :D

krid80

Elite Member
Reaction score
www.surdykeharley.com
Krid, a quick question; I'm really considering buying a pair. I like the current engine sound (stock) but it's just a bit shallow.. at 10k rpm's it makes engine noise but hardly any exhaust noise so to speak.

I'm just not sure about the length of the exhaust, they stick out pretty far. I read your post about the GenI and GenII Leovince pipes (presume GenII is for 2010?) but are there any differences in the amount that they stick out the back?

I have a 2010 FZ6 S2 with half-fairing and i'm hoping you can either convince me to buy a pair of or to let it be and wait for Two Brothers to get EU approved.. :rolleyes:

Besides that i'm also wondering if I should go for titanium or carbon.. my bike is midnight black :thumbup: .. in case I buy! :cheer:

..well not a 'quick' question after all :D

Didn't know that Yamaha sold 2010 FZ6's (they don't stateside). Gen I is 2004-2006, Gen II is 07+

The midpipe on 2004-2006 is different from 2007+ so all slip on systems are the same but any system that includes a midpipe (Leo Vince) is model year specific.

Bryan-

Reaction score
Visit site
Hmm.. well according to wikipedia and my dealer it's the 2010 model.. Else I got tricked into paying just a little more :spank:

fazil

Reaction score
Visit site
Overall, I ended up with a 7hp gain with only exhaust added. I am still running a stock airbox and filter.

Is there a relation between performance and engine life?
Can it be possible to say more performance means less engine life?

krid80

Elite Member
Reaction score
www.surdykeharley.com

there are two sides to that coin, actually. A better breathing and properly tuned bike will run cooler and therefore should be more efficient and reliable. But usually if you mod, you beat the crap out of your bike.... so..... I'll call it a draw.

Bikebiz

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hmm.. well according to wikipedia and my dealer it's the 2010 model.. Else I got tricked into paying just a little more :spank:

You got tricked. Yamaha never produced the FZ6 in 2010, worldwide. Check the vin plate, should read 09. My new baby is only about 2 months old and the compliance is Feb 09! But I knew this going into it and paid accordingly.

Astennu

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm looking into a new "2010" but i think its a 2009. These are just the leftovers. I think they will drop the FZ6 in the future.

The FZ8 will take over the mid range. Where the XJ6 will do the low range.

I'm gonna let the dealer fit a Laser Xtreme exhaust. I'm now looking in a other shop that has a Dyno to tune it with a PC and do dyno runs.

Last edited:
N

Naykid

Any 'substantial" performance gains will create more heat....and more heat makes things wear out faster. BUT.....the tiny little bit of gain a slip on and a map will make.....isn't going to affect reliability enough to measure.

krid80

Elite Member
Reaction score
www.surdykeharley.com
Any 'substantial" performance gains will create more heat....and more heat makes things wear out faster. BUT.....the tiny little bit of gain a slip on and a map will make.....isn't going to affect reliability enough to measure.

agreed to a point. Bolt on upgrades (non "substantial" performance gains) with the engine tuned for them, often resullt in a cooler running engine due to less restriction.

HP makes heat but so does effort. So if the engine requires less effort to do the same job, the result is less heat.

But, the statement is correct that any "substantial" performance gain will create more heat, but substantial would be raising compression, forced induction, or other extreme mods of that nature.

Astennu

Reaction score
Visit site
Do i understand it correctly that you dont need to adjust the C1 and C2 settings anymore when you use a Power Commander? Or is it still recommended to tweak those?

I found a official dealer in the nederlands that will install the PC V and will dyno the bike. Cant wait for the results! a 10% boost in power should be noticeable.

Last edited:

Astennu

Reaction score
Visit site
Did you guy's remove the cat to get 98hp? Or is your stock cat still there?

i'm keeping the cat for now and will only remove the DP killers from the Laser Xtreme. That should give about 5HP over stock. Together with the PC-V i was hoping to get close to 98. Is that realistic without removing the cat? Because that should also give about 4hp extra.