Earth in Time-lapse - from the ISS

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOAEIMx39-w]The World Outside My Window - Time Lapse of Earth from the ISS (4K) - YouTube[/ame]

I'm very happy that I had a very tiny part of this project; I worked on the Space Shuttle boosters at Thiokol for two years.
Stunning. Just stunning! :thumbup:

Humperdinkel

Resident Rumologist
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Love watching all things space , thanks for sharing :thumbup:

Makes me sad that I never got to see a Shuttle launch :(

Can you watch the the Delta IV rockets out of Vandenberg AFB like you could the Shuttle ???

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Can you watch the the Delta IV rockets out of Vandenberg AFB like you could the Shuttle ???
If you have access to the base you can get quite close, but the IV's I understand you can see/hear/feel for miles! I happened to be TDY there during a night launch, we drove out onto the perimeter road and could see the missile on the pad, but unfortunately the launch was scrubbed. :(
I have seen several Shuttle and Minuteman test firings up at Thiokol, they don't fly but are secured on the ground:
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFCwQygmYOY]Last - Ever Space Shuttle SRB Test Firing by ATK & NASA - The Final Booster - YouTube[/ame]

You can't see it in the video, but the shock wave from the initiation you can see running towards you through the grass, like a wind gust (you can see the time delay of the sound). And then when that wave hits you, your pants are flopping behind your legs and it's LOUD!
There's a team that hikes through the exhaust area looking for bits of unburned propellant or anything else that may have come off, one time they found a deer's hoof; just its hoof! :eek: Wrong place, wrong time…