Electric Bikes

Would You drive an electric bike to save the planet?

• Yes

Votes: 16 41.0%
  • No

Votes: 9 23.1%
  • Maybe

Votes: 10 25.6%
  • other please explain

Votes: 4 10.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ste

Surfing the ethernet
Reaction score
Visit site
when bikes get more advanced and more charging places and quicker charging times and more distance travelled it would be a yes for me

Attachments

• electric bike.jpg
    electric bike.jpg
    5.4 KB · Views: 41
  • thumbn.jpg
    thumbn.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 45

mpb218

Reaction score
Visit site
While I don't agree with the whole electric vehicle concept (the power has to come from SOMEWHERE... probably coal) the benefit to it is instant power. With electric, when you twist the throttle you get full power NOW... insane accelerations. We built an electric go-cart in college, we had to put a damper on the throttle so it could be drivable without wrecking into a wall.

pookamatic

Reaction score
Visit site
While I don't agree with the whole electric vehicle concept (the power has to come from SOMEWHERE... probably coal)

I used to have this same line of thinking and it is incorrect. Yes, riding/driving an electric vehicle is far from being zero emissions (unless the power to charge the battery has been supplied from wind/solar/etc)... but it is WAY better in terms of environmental impact than any gas engine.

At power gen stations, more stringent regulations are in place to keep pollution at lower levels. Internal combustion is grossly inefficient, AND, the fuel has to come from somewhere as well (far away), be harvested, refined, transported again... So much is wasted before we burn it between the well and the pump.

ste

Surfing the ethernet
Reaction score
Visit site
I used to have this same line of thinking and it is incorrect. Yes, riding/driving an electric vehicle is far from being zero emissions (unless the power to charge the battery has been supplied from wind/solar/etc)... but it is WAY better in terms of environmental impact than any gas engine.

At power gen stations, more stringent regulations are in place to keep pollution at lower levels. Internal combustion is grossly inefficient, AND, the fuel has to come from somewhere as well (far away), be harvested, refined, transported again... So much is wasted before we burn it between the well and the pump.
but if one station was pumping out fumes to supply 5000 bikes
it would still be less fumes than 500 bikes pumping out fumes from petrol

peteehoward

Reaction score
Visit site
I do not think that electric vehicles will save the planet, I do think that they are better alternatives to gasoline vehicles. I do think that there are better alternatives to electric like natural gas and hydrogen. Hydrogen is the best but people worry about having is attached to their vehicle.

Jman

Metamorphic
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I think if the lottery was in the cards for me, it would be fun to build one.

ste

Surfing the ethernet
Reaction score
Visit site
I do not think that electric vehicles will save the planet, I do think that they are better alternatives to gasoline vehicles. I do think that there are better alternatives to electric like natural gas and hydrogen. Hydrogen is the best but people worry about having is attached to their vehicle.
You dont seem to think about a lot of stuff lol
it takes huge amounts of electricity to get a small amount of hydrogen, so thats out the window
no electricity is the only viable means of going forward
hydrogen may be viable to produce electricty at a power station and then supply to vehicles. but on a car, it does not work, and it never will, dont trust george w bush
he has proved that his word is no good on many occasions.
gasoline / oil is running out, at the rate 6 billion people use it, and its projected that the worlds population will only grow exponentially.:(

sniff6

Be nice i am
Reaction score
Visit site
You dont seem to think about a lot of stuff lol
it takes huge amounts of electricity to get a small amount of hydrogen, so thats out the window
no electricity is the only viable means of going forward
hydrogen may be viable to produce electricty at a power station and then supply to vehicles. but on a car, it does not work, and it never will, dont trust george w bush
he has proved that his word is no good on many occasions.
gasoline / oil is running out, at the rate 6 billion people use it, and its projected that the worlds population will only grow exponentially.:(

If my memory serves me,I think Honda built a Hydrogen cell car.Cost over a $1m per vehicle. So i guess it will be awhile yet.....But :thumbup:

Hydrogen Energy Cell

BBC News - UK hydrogen cars project launched

sQuijeW

Reaction score
Visit site
i would not ride an electric motorcycle, let alone an electric car, for the purposes of saving this planet. more pollution comes from the plants producing the electricity than from actual individual vehicles.

besides, in the event of a emp catastrophe i would like to be able to still drive/ride around

ste

Surfing the ethernet
Reaction score
Visit site
i would not ride an electric motorcycle, let alone an electric car, for the purposes of saving this planet. more pollution comes from the plants producing the electricity than from actual individual vehicles.

besides, in the event of a emp catastrophe i would like to be able to still drive/ride around
with an emp going off most bikes and cars would not work anyway with amount of electrics on them such as immobilisers
and its ok if its 1 car per plant, your right plant burns more fossil fuels, but its billions of cars to a couple hundred thousand plants

Last edited:

pookamatic

Reaction score
Visit site

You have no evidence to back this up. I'm certain of this because it does not exist.

Wh0M3

Reaction score
Visit site
I actually have been following the progress of the electric motorcycle. Jay Leno did a bit on a company that is working to produce the engine for them and has a prototype they have been running around with for a few years. I also understand that Honda is working to start up something under a different name as well. I know the speeds are getting up there to competition levels but the range is still a bit limited in terms of cross country trip but inner city and commuting might be something we will see in the near future.

I actually selected other in the poll because I'm still undecided on how the electric motorcycle will effect everything but I do see where having an electric dirt bike would be nice. You could run around with out getting your neighbor upset and it has a battery life that would be long enough for a few trail rides.

I still look forward to seeing what the future will hold with this and also wonder what the extra demand for electricity will do with cars also becoming full electric.

mpb218

Reaction score
Visit site

We can agree to disagree, but it's not just generating the power you have to worry about, ever see the environmental factor it takes to make the batteries for these "green" cars?

Unless we are primarily on nuke, solar, wind, hydro, and/or a combo of the previously mentioned, it doesn't make sense. At least not yet. And yes, I know the nuke power creates all the bad stuff, I'm talking about greenhouse gasses though.

ste

Surfing the ethernet
Reaction score
Visit site
We can agree to disagree, but it's not just generating the power you have to worry about, ever see the environmental factor it takes to make the batteries for these "green" cars?

Unless we are primarily on nuke, solar, wind, hydro, and/or a combo of the previously mentioned, it doesn't make sense. At least not yet. And yes, I know the nuke power creates all the bad stuff, I'm talking about greenhouse gasses though.
so we are agreed, when the technology gets better