Engine turns over but will not start

SteveL

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi everyone,

I noticed that my radiator fluid was a bit low last weekend so I topped it up, by raising the tank to get to the filler cap. I didn't do any other modifications to the bike.

I ran the bike for about 2 mins after that while moving it back to the garage, then switched it off and left it for a week.

Today I went to start it and found that while the engine will turn over, it doesn't "catch".

I'm guessing that I somehow damaged something while the tank was up last weekend. All of the hoses from the fuel tank are connected, the drainage lines are not crimped, and I can't see any loose wires - I checked all of the connections coming off the tank, and that I could see in the vicinity.

When I turn the key I hear the familiar whine, which lasts a second or so - I presume this is the fuel pump starting up? The fuel gauge shows a half tank, which is correct based on the milage since the last refill.

The engine turns over easily, so I don't think it's a faulty kill-switch as this usually means the engine doesn't turn over at all. All the fuses are OK.

So - any ideas for what I should check?

Thanks,
Steve

Last edited:

Nick J

Reaction score
Visit site
start by making sure you have spark to the plugs and then make sure you have fuel flowing to the carbs. If it's none of that, then this is too technical for me. Good luck.

SteveL

Reaction score
Visit site
Nick - good idea, I'll see if I can test that.

Steve - I'll go through that thread more carefully and see if any of it helps.

Thanks guys,
Steve

Last edited:

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
You didn't mention if you have an alarm running on your bike or how long it normally sits for.
Can you bump start it?
Are you sure that the two electrical connections at the bottom of the tank are connoted?
Try charging the battery first as this is the simplest of all the fixes.
Good luck.

Nelly:welcome:

SteveL

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi Nelly,

There's no alarm, and the bike normally sits for a lot longer without there being any problems. I'm sure it's not a flat battery as the engine is turning over freely - it's just not "catching".

So I doubt bump-starting would help, as the problem is either no spark or no fuel, as others have pointed out above.

The two electrical connections at the bottom of the tank are definitely connected - I unplugged and replugged them both, and felt them click into place.

This may well be beyond me so I'll probably get the bike towed to the garage (free with my insurance) and let them take a look at it.

Thanks for your suggestions,
Steve

B

bluenova

Check the engine idle speed, it's very easy to knock and sit's just under the tank so if you had the tank up you could have knocked it. I had the same issue after washing the bike once, the stater motor would run fine but the engine would not catch, and it was just that the idle screw got moved slightly.

Jedi

Pillion Boy no more!!!
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi guys,

I just want to add one little thing to this, based on my experience this weekend... I did the headlight mod on my girlfriends Fazer, and when I reconnected the wiring to the low beam bulb I accidentally reversed the connector. Engine wouldn't start. Took it off and refitted it the right way round, and the engine started. Took it off again and left it unplugged - engine wouldn't start. Reconnected it again - engine started.

I noticed in the wiring diagram for the 07 that there's a connection between the low beam lighting circuit and the ECU - I'm wondering if this is some sort of safety feature preventing you starting the bike if the low beam headlamp is blown?

This may be nothing at all to do with your problem, but it's one more thing to check before calling in the expensive professionals :)

B

bluenova

Hi guys,

I just want to add one little thing to this, based on my experience this weekend... I did the headlight mod on my girlfriends Fazer, and when I reconnected the wiring to the low beam bulb I accidentally reversed the connector. Engine wouldn't start. Took it off and refitted it the right way round, and the engine started. Took it off again and left it unplugged - engine wouldn't start. Reconnected it again - engine started.

I noticed in the wiring diagram for the 07 that there's a connection between the low beam lighting circuit and the ECU - I'm wondering if this is some sort of safety feature preventing you starting the bike if the low beam headlamp is blown?

This may be nothing at all to do with your problem, but it's one more thing to check before calling in the expensive professionals :)

Man I hope not, how would you ride to the garage to buy a new bulb?

SteveL

Reaction score
Visit site
Jedi,

I'm pretty sure this isn't the case too - because I also forgot to plug the lights back in when I did the headlight mod, so thought it was a dud mod!

The 2004 model runs fine without either of the headlight sockets plugged in.

I'll give the idle screw thing a try but I'm pretty sure I didn't go near it - it's fairly well hidden on the 04 model.

It could be a problem with the fuel pump as in the "won't run" thread. **** I hope not, since I'm not under warranty......

necrotimus

Stop looking at my title!
Reaction score
Visit site
DISCLAIMER: I have no idea if this will work on a motorcycle but it works on cars as I have used it several times to check to see if my cars were receving fuel.

Spray carburetor cleaner into the air intake and start the engine. If it is a fuel problem the fuel rich air should cause the engine to start. Once you stop spraying the engine will sputter and die.

Oscar54

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The manual in chapter 9 under "Starting Failures" lists a Clogged Fuel Tank Drain Hose as a possible cause. Since you had the tank up, maybe this pulled the hose up some and when you lowered the tank back down it kinked this hose?

Just a thought!

SteveL

Reaction score
Visit site
Oscar - I'll take another look and perhaps try blowing air through the hoses, although I'm sure they are not kinked as I checked it 3-4 times.

I saw that in the manual too, but don't really get why a blockage in the drainage hose would cause this problem - isn't that just an overflow hose, for when you overfill the tank? Why would a blockage in that cause the engine to fail to start? Surely the drainage hose isn't being used to relieve pressure by allowing air to flow into the tank as the engine's running - it's located in a filthy area.

Necrotimus - I might give that a go if I get desperate. It sounds logical but I'm wary of screwing things up more than I already have!

SteveL

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey, I took it in to the bike mechanic today and just heard back from him - and we were all wrong :)

The problem was actually the throttle bodies being flooded (rather than not having enough fuel).

I'm not sure how this happened - possibly fuel leaked out of the tank while it was raised? I'm just pleased that it was a simple outcome that wasn't too expensive to track down and solve.

Anyway, thanks to everyone for the help, and I hope this information assists someone else down the track.

Steve