England 3 usa 0

stevesnj

Reaction score
Visit site
Re: If I may speak for around 85 percent of the USA

If I may speak for around 85 percent of the USA, I think I'd say: "WHO CARES???"

:BLAA:

Seriously, european-style football has a very poor following in the USA, especially outside of large urban cities. I personally can't stand it.

Then again, my personal quote is: "It's not a sport unless it has a motor in it...." and I rarely follow traditional USA sports, besides my Pittsburgh Steelers. :)

Yeh but I say any sport that will motivate our fat American kids to get out and run is a plus.

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

If I may speak for around 85 percent of the USA, I think I'd say: "WHO CARES???"

:BLAA:

Seriously, european-style football has a very poor following in the USA, especially outside of large urban cities. I personally can't stand it.

Then again, my personal quote is: "It's not a sport unless it has a motor in it...." and I rarely follow traditional USA sports, besides my Pittsburgh Steelers. :)
And yet the kids play soccer - what about all your soccer moms? On so many tv shows from the states the kids are always playing soccer. Maybe it varies from state to state.

kpaul

The Great Destroyer
Reaction score
www.xbox.com

And yet the kids play soccer - what about all your soccer moms? On so many tv shows from the states the kids are always playing soccer. Maybe it varies from state to state.

Soccer is big for young kids, primarily because it's so easy for kids 4-9 or so. So almost every mom is a "soccer mom" at some point. :) It starts to fizzle as kids get older and the leagues get more competitive and involve travel (9-10ish). Around this age, in my small-town experience, kids tend to migrate to baseball leagues (these leagues are big enough to include up to a dozen teams which all share two or three fields so there's no travel involved). Baseball mom just doesn't have the same ring to it I guess. Kids will do other sports on the side (basketball, hockey and football schedules don't compete with baseball/soccer) but almost all do soccer, then baseball in this order. Even the fatties.

Once you get to high school, the youth leagues die off and sports are coordinated by the schools. High schools have soccer teams just the same as baseball, basketball, football, track, etc. and I think it's equally as popular as all of them except for football. Universities support it, but this is where it begins to be overshadowed by "the big four." Universities make big money off of basketball and football and decent money on baseball and even hockey, but not so much from Soccer.

As a result there's less support even for the perennial winners, which is why most of our top soccer players head off to Europe at this point, which is part of the reason the MLS (America's pro soccer league) suffers.

That was really long-winded, but I'm sitting at work waiting to press some buttons at a particular time after the company finishes up a show in LA.

JONAC

***** Contributor
Reaction score
Visit site
Ok a poor prediction from me :(

Well done USA and good luck in the tournament, I still reckon you'll finish second in the group and face Germany in the next round!
(here's hoping so :D)

JC