Error code 53 on immobilizer....HELP

SphinX

Reaction score
Visit site
HI,
Serviced my bike (2006 FZ6-S) now it gives me a error #53 on immobilizer. Fuel pump dead but motor does swing.

If using red or black keys same thing happens.

I suspect a fualty wire in the loom, checked what i can on the transiever unit but all seems fine "Bussed" the wire out.

Any suggestions.

Does someone have the list of immobilizer error codes.

ThanX

Ssky0078

Reaction score
Visit site
It may be helpful if you can post the make of the immobilizer and model number. If you can't figure it out, if you can see the box and pull the serial number and try googling it.

I had an old car alarm once that something similar happened. Had to take it into the shop so they could plug in the computer to it and reset it. Happened after I had done something stupid like change the headlight bulbs, too.

YZF73

Reaction score
Visit site
It may be helpful if you can post the make of the immobilizer and model number. If you can't figure it out, if you can see the box and pull the serial number and try googling it.

I had an old car alarm once that something similar happened. Had to take it into the shop so they could plug in the computer to it and reset it. Happened after I had done something stupid like change the headlight bulbs, too.

I believe he is referring to the factory fitted immobiliser standard on non-US models, known as Y.I.S.S (Yamaha Ignition Security System).

A couple of questions though, you say you've just serviced your bike, could you give details of the service items you covered during this service.

Seems unlikely to me for this to happen immediately after a service, have a think back and see if you can identify a moment that you may have caught some wiring, etc.

I'll keep thinking about it and let you know if I come up with anything. :thumbup:

Yamahaboyz

Last edited:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
HI,
Serviced my bike (2006 FZ6-S) now it gives me a error #53 on immobilizer. Fuel pump dead but motor does swing.

If using red or black keys same thing happens.

I suspect a fualty wire in the loom, checked what i can on the transiever unit but all seems fine "Bussed" the wire out.

Any suggestions.

Does someone have the list of immobilizer error codes.

ThanX

Swing? Do you mean the motor cranks over with the starter? Do you hear the fuel pump prime? If you don't hear the fuel pump prime lift tank and check electrical connector at fuel pump. Won't hurt to also check the fuel and vent lines

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Fault codes, from the service manual:

Thank you Oaks!

Excellent info! Since the OP is seeing a #53 it would be good to check plugs on harnesses as well as grounds to the engine/chassis. A lifted ground on a shield can introduce noise.

dolau

Reaction score
Visit site
Lets hope it is not the ECU pins corroded away like mine did-might be worth a check anyway- if you are that unlicky but have the red key it is £185 for a virgin ECU that plugs back in and codes itself to your red key

Mine turned over but wouldnt start

Lets hope I am wrong

SphinX

Reaction score
Visit site
ThanX to all on the reply.

Immobiliser is a Moric 5SL-00.
Bike 5VXB-070 (Souith Africa model).

Better description:
-Serviced the bike.
-Started the bike without the Tank on (Started as normal), Replaced the Tank and then start the bike the only thing that happens is that the Starter motor turns (Engine) but there is no Fire on the engine ("ass"ume as it does NOT Run).
-Wiggled and shook the bike and tried to start the bike ,After a number of failed starts it started (ie cable, plug problem)......
-Left bike until next day, Started (1st time) drove 5 meters switched off the bike to talk to someone, ten same problem (Swings but no "Fire").

I have traced the Immobiliser wiring and tested continuaty which is there? all seems good, but NOT.

Bike is currently at a yamaha dealer (past 5 day's) the have done som diagnostics but are not sure if ECU, Immobiliser or Cabeling problem.

My feeling is that it is the cabeling (shaking bike etc works sometimes) and the immobiliser gives a code #53 ECU not receiving the Immobiliser data.

NB when using the red key,I get the same result.

I have googled etc for a service manual for the bike (FZ6-S) and no luck, I am getting all other models except mine (how nice).

Everything points to wiring! thus i am thinking that i want to get the bike from the agent and fix myself?

Any Diagrams of the Immobiliser (Moric 5 SL-00) diagrams, pinouts, data sheet etc will help, as well on the bike (5VXB-070, FZ6-S) will help.

ThanX to All

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
ThanX to all on the reply.

Immobiliser is a Moric 5SL-00.
Bike 5VXB-070 (Souith Africa model).

Better description:
-Serviced the bike.
-Started the bike without the Tank on (Started as normal), Replaced the Tank and then start the bike the only thing that happens is that the Starter motor turns (Engine) but there is no Fire on the engine ("ass"ume as it does NOT Run).
-Wiggled and shook the bike and tried to start the bike ,After a number of failed starts it started (ie cable, plug problem)......
-Left bike until next day, Started (1st time) drove 5 meters switched off the bike to talk to someone, ten same problem (Swings but no "Fire").

I have traced the Immobiliser wiring and tested continuaty which is there? all seems good, but NOT.

Bike is currently at a yamaha dealer (past 5 day's) the have done som diagnostics but are not sure if ECU, Immobiliser or Cabeling problem.

My feeling is that it is the cabeling (shaking bike etc works sometimes) and the immobiliser gives a code #53 ECU not receiving the Immobiliser data.

NB when using the red key,I get the same result.

I have googled etc for a service manual for the bike (FZ6-S) and no luck, I am getting all other models except mine (how nice).

Everything points to wiring! thus i am thinking that i want to get the bike from the agent and fix myself?

Any Diagrams of the Immobiliser (Moric 5 SL-00) diagrams, pinouts, data sheet etc will help, as well on the bike (5VXB-070, FZ6-S) will help.

ThanX to All

I don't have your model schematic either. If it's an immobilizer error code I would check all plugs and also all grounds to chassis and engine. Some grounds especially in the case of your immobilizer provide RF (Radio Frequency) shielding. This prevents other signals from interfering with communication between your key and the immobilizer unit.

Where is the immobilizer actually mounted? Is there an aerial that receives the key signal? Sorry to ask these questions as I've had little experience with immobilizer and it's physical location on the bike. Obviously there's an encryption signal passed to the ECU.

Maybe tape your red key to the ECU cable right at the ECU and try starting the bike with your other key. If it's a signal strength problem and this works we know there has been degradation in the signal reaching the ECU.

Info on immobilizer circuits may be limited because of the nature of it's protecting bikes?

SphinX

Reaction score
Visit site
ThanX

Thinking (going to ) get my bike back from Yamaha dealer today!!!!!!!!

The Immobiliser unit sits on the Ignition as with other bikes (rather around the IG). I have made a circuit diagram of other bikes with the Immobiliser (fz6-sa European), looks kind of the same. Wiring colours seems fimilliar.

ThanX for the Red key next to the ECU, will try it.

When i get the bike i am going to remove the harness and draw it and make up a CCT of my bike and hopefully find the problem.

SphinX

SphinX

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi All.

ThanX for the post, it helped alot.

I found the problem;

on the Immobiliser unit the Yellow with blue stripe wire is the communication (Data line) for the Immobiliser, ECU and "Dash". This wire was still intact but the wiring inside was broken (not making them making contact). The break was about 5cm from the Immobiliser unit itself.

Things to watch for When the Immobiliser gives a code flash (Immobiliser light, by the way this comes from the Immobiliser unit itself, nothing to do with the ECU), the "Dash" must give the same error ie 53 etc. IF NOT then the wire from the Immobiliser is Broken as in my case.

Had my bike at the yamaha dealer which said it was the Immobiliser (which they where partially correct) or the ECU, Thus I opend the ECU (BIG mistake and messed it up. So now my Immobiliser is working got a second hand ECU now waiting to PAIR the keys and the ECU.

Hopefully i will be riding agaiin by the end of the week.

In the future If the fault is intermittent is is NOT the ECU, it will be wiring 99% of the time.

ThanX to All

SphinX:cheer: