Finally... I got low enough

pookamatic

Reaction score
Visit site
I'll tell ya... if there ever was an instant cure for constipation, hit a turn and scrape your foot for the first time...

The peg feelers didn't scrape, however, so I guess the next thing to do once I get comfortable here is to move my feet back on the pegs? At the time, I had my heel on the peg, and foot under the shifter.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
At the time, I had my heel on the peg, and foot under the shifter.

Yeah, no reason to ever have you foot under shifter on the street at maximum lean angle. Should be on the balls of your feet. Feelers should scrape long before your boots (some people also tend to point their toes out.. that too is a bad habit).

or... like Cliff said switch your shifting to motoGP pattern so you can be on TOP of the shifter waiting to grab next higher gear :D

Gelvatron

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah definitely like others said foot always on the peg only have foot under shifter when shifting that got pounded into my head from my MSF instructor

Smittyboy

Reaction score
Visit site
Only time I've scraped a boot was on the weave exercise during the MSF class. Instructor was like "feel anything scrape on that last weave?" lol

HA!!! Same thing happened to me. Then again, it was the tiny honda and the pegs were tiny. I got back in line and he had a grin on his face... "Gonna tuck your foot up now, ha?" I couldn't say anything except "yup".

Andz

Phantom Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Maybe I was young and stupid or maybe Pirelli Phantoms were better tyres or maybe the bike was lower but my 1980 Honda CB400N had the footpegs worn down to about an inch long from scraping in corners.... my FZ.... not even a mark on a hero blob.

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
I've got huge feet so my toes pretty much always scrape, no cs or feelers either, I use my toes as my feelers

I'm hardly leaned at all right here, on the balls of my feet and yet my inside foot is still only about 2" from the ground, I could move my feet further back but I shift a lot and trail brake a lot and that would mean a lot of shuffling my feet around and thinking about a lot can lead to a lot of mishaps and a lot of "puckering" View attachment 44906View attachment 44907View attachment 44908

pookamatic

Reaction score
Visit site
People saying things about the MSF coaches and tucking their feet... this is the first case where my course deviated from the standard. I don't remember hearing that once during my course. As a result, I've been riding with my feet under the shifter/brake. Fixed.

PurpleZJ

Reaction score
Visit site
HA!!! Same thing happened to me. Then again, it was the tiny honda and the pegs were tiny. I got back in line and he had a grin on his face... "Gonna tuck your foot up now, ha?" I couldn't say anything except "yup".

Wasn't even my toes. My feet were on top of the pegs/shifter and brake. I scraped my heel. He laughed and said there's only so much lean these tires will take. They had to encourage people to go faster in exercises. Me and another guy got "encouraged" to go slower lol

seneca

Reaction score
Visit site
Just as a suggestion, here you can find a extreme lean angle... the foot and the rest are touching the ground but the position enable the full control. 58 degrees lean angle (I checked in the telemetry) the handle bar is close to 30cm to the ground :rockon:.

Proud to say that this mad pilot is my son in the Spanish 125cc national champ. :rolleyes:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

PurpleZJ

Reaction score
Visit site
Just as a suggestion, here you can find a extreme lean angle... the foot and the rest are touching the ground but the position enable the full control. 58 degrees lean angle (I checked in the telemetry) the handle bar is close to 30cm to the ground :rockon:.

Proud to say that this mad pilot is my son in the Spanish 125cc national champ. :rolleyes:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Much, much lower than I, but I'm getting there :thumbup:

The_Paragon

Thats right, Paragon!
Reaction score
Visit site
Foot under shifter :/ in a turn.. Wait till youre mid turn, scrape foot which pushes your foot up on the ****er and she grabs a gear and jumps forward while leaned in!

Talk about pucker effect!!!

Last edited:

DarkNinja75

Professional Poster
Reaction score
Visit site
People saying things about the MSF coaches and tucking their feet... this is the first case where my course deviated from the standard. I don't remember hearing that once during my course. As a result, I've been riding with my feet under the shifter/brake. Fixed.

Yeah, that's not technically in the curriculum. I've mentioned it in a couple classes where students specifically ask about where there feet should be. But otherwise, it's a beginner course and we don't expect you to be scraping your feet. Crazy how 15 hours of instruction can't cover every possible question ;)

First time I scraped my boots I had a couple guys behind me and my toe sliders were titanium. They got a good spark show.

PurpleZJ

Reaction score
Visit site
Foot under shifter :/ in a turn.. Wait till youre mid turn, scrape foot which pushes your foot up on the ****er and she grabs a gear and jumps forward while leaned in!

Talk about pucker effect!!!

I just did that earlier. I was hauling into a turn in first and half way through I nudged the shifter into N. luckily I felt myself do it and was able to correct it before it was an issue