Finally - my first ride on the FZ!

Have2BeFree

It's My Bike!
Reaction score
Visit site
Saturday afternoon I arrived at my friend’s house where I’m storing my FZ6 (Zelda) for my first ride ever on her. She was parked in the driveway facing out with my recently purchased Motovation frame sliders installed (good friend!). It was bright sunny and 45 degrees – I couldn’t wait any longer! I turned the key and delighted in the sound of the fuel injection pump engaging – so nice not to have to deal with a choke anymore. I flipped the cut off switch to on and fired her up. The scorpion exhaust is loud but boy does she sound sweet! I gave Zelda a few minutes to warm up while I put on my helmet and gloves and then the moment came. I threw a leg over and was seated and ready to go. I shifted her into first and was dismayed at a noticeable clunk and the bike jerked forward ever so slightly but since she only has 4,200 miles on her I wasn’t too worried. As my friend and the neighbors watched, I slowly eased out the clutch and gave her a little gas…………and was on my way! Yay – I didn’t stall her and embarrass myself! (yet) The first thing I did notice is how low Zelda is geared compared to any other bike I have ever ridden. At first I was shifting her at around 3,000 rpm and then realized that she responded better at 4,000 (at least). I was shocked to notice that redline was 1,500 rpm (and a little excited too). I made it to the first stop light safely, carefully put my feet down – I can’t flat foot it and am mostly on my toes. This is definitely going to take some getting used to! The light turned green and…………….I stalled it. Eventually I did figure out the clutch/throttle technique and had an enjoyable 50 mile ride over back roads. The only problems I encountered were 1) a rattling in the front (fairing?) 2) she wants to go, go, go! I had a difficult time maintaining an even speed. Every straight away I encountered I just wanted to see how fast she could go! I finally did give it a go but I chickened out at 65 mph because it was a back road in a village well know for radar and I figured that discretion is the best part of valor since I am just getting to know the bike. I didn’t take her out on the highway yet because I wanted to have some practice first. No pics on this ride because everything is still dull and brown here, another month or so before the trees will be budding and it will be getting more scenic. There is still some snow on the sides of the road and the rivers, ponds and slow moving creeks still have a layer of ice. I was sad to bring Zelda back after only 50 miles but I was getting cold!

On Sunday it was sunny and 55 and I rounded up a couple of friends and took a 100 mile ride. I called my friend and he took my bike out of the garage - and found a nail in the tire from yesterdays ride :( Fortunately he was able to plug it and away I went. I was the lead rider since I have the most experience riding and that kept me honest at least. I am definitely getting better with shifting, the “clunking” seems to have gone, and I got her up to 90 (from a dead stop) before I chickened out this time (not sure if I was in 3rd of 4th but boy was it a rush!). What a great day! The stock seat is ok, but I’m undecided on how comfy it will be on a long ride. I need a tank protector since I sit so close because I am uh ……vertically challenged……..and don’t want to scratch the bike. I’m still a little stiff in the corners and curves and need some more practice riding her but I’m sure that will come as my confidence improves. I have only one question - does the “how fast will she go?” feeling ever go away? I think the Scorpion exhaust adds to that because she sounds awesome when you get her up to or above about 5,000 rpm. Oh yeah, at 60 mph she is at about 5500 rpm, is this normal?

I am totally in love with my FZ!

I will post some pics of the bike as soon as I find the cable to my digital camera (why can’t teenagers leave their hands off of Mom’s stuff?).

I also want to say thanks to everyone here for all the good info. I read all of the threads, though I don’t understand most of them and have learned a lot. I may never be mechanically inclined but at least I now have a general idea of how the bike works. If it weren’t for the thread regarding the sliders my friend may not have been as successful in installing them. So, thanks everyone!

steveindenmark

Older Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Congrats on the bike. I look forward to seeing the pics.

Get frame sliders on it now because if you cannot flatfoot it will only be time before you will go over.

There are some really good DIY seat mods on here so do a search and get that seat lowered.

I did and it made the bike feel as though I owned it. Instead of feeling like I stole it from someone else-

Steve

B

bluenova

Sounds like you had a blast! Take it easy and get your confidence up. A new bike is like a new pair of shoes, it'll take some time before it feels natural and a part of you, but it will, sooner than you think.

Regarding flat footing the ground, are you trying to get both feet on the ground? Because you should really only be putting your left foot down (right foot should be on the brake as you stop). So if you shift your bum over to the left a bit you should be able to get your foot flat (or at least enough on the ground to be comfortable).

Have2BeFree

It's My Bike!
Reaction score
Visit site
Sounds like you had a blast! Take it easy and get your confidence up. A new bike is like a new pair of shoes, it'll take some time before it feels natural and a part of you, but it will, sooner than you think.

Regarding flat footing the ground, are you trying to get both feet on the ground? Because you should really only be putting your left foot down (right foot should be on the brake as you stop). So if you shift your bum over to the left a bit you should be able to get your foot flat (or at least enough on the ground to be comfortable).

Thanks, this is what I finally figured out for myself as well - putting my left foot down only and keeping the right on the rear brake (it seems that I had a habit of putting both feet down and holding the front brake only). I think I will be ok with some time on the bike as the second day I was more comfortable/confident than the first.
I'm afraid to try the seat mod because I'm afraid of messing up my seat and then not being able to ride! I have read the thread on the seat mod and I will share the thread with my friend who installed the sliders and see what he thinks. I have trouble putting a key in a keyhole straight so I'm definitely not up to trying this on my own :shakehead:

I did have a blast, thanks :D I can't wait for the next warm day and I will try to take it easy!

04fizzer

Reaction score
Visit site
Congrats on the bike. I look forward to seeing the pics.

Get frame sliders on it now because if you cannot flatfoot it will only be time before you will go over.

There are some really good DIY seat mods on here so do a search and get that seat lowered.

I did and it made the bike feel as though I owned it. Instead of feeling like I stole it from someone else-

Steve

He said on the 2nd line that he had Motivation sliders installed (his buddy did it).

04fizzer

Reaction score
Visit site
The N-1st gear clunk/lurch doesn't really go away. When it sits for a long time, the clutch plates tend to stick together, and there's where you get that lurch from.

Have2BeFree

It's My Bike!
Reaction score
Visit site
Yes but I am 50 so after seeing all that text I got a bit tired after the first line and dozed off. I must have picked up again on the third line...sorry.

Steve

Didn't mean to bore you but you didn't have to continue reading if you didn't want to. :(

I am a 45 y/o female so maybe in 5 years I will need a nap after sharing in someone elses excitement.........but I doubt it :shakehead:

(no offense taken for those of you who thought I was a guy, I appreciate your support)

Last edited:

agmom98

Navy mom
Reaction score
www.agmom98.com
(no offense taken for those of you who thought I was a guy, I appreciate your support)

Well, the comment about kids learning to leave their mom's stuff alone gave it away for me. Congratulations on your new ride and on falling in love with a really great motorcycle! It will just keep getting better and better!