First ride of my life tonight

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Well im exhausted and have an early morning but i wanted to do this while it was still fresh

for those who didnt read my countless rants in the previous weeks:

Bought an FZ6. First bike ever. Rode it tonight.

The setting could have been better but it was still amazing:

11pm to 1:30am (with a large chunk of that spent at a friends house, and the riding time cut into 8-10 minute intervals with me taking a few minute breaks to rest up {and warm up})

it was freeeeeeeeezing. I am still waiting on most of my gear but have my chest back knee shin helmet. I was a bit tired from an early morning today and in retrospect I have decided not to ride if im tired no matter what the situation is. New rider + even a little sleepy = trouble. Caught myself losing a bit of focus due to the extreme cold and slight fatigue.

And my helmet is garbage (as i bought one from a department store to cover me until my real helmet gets here at which point i return the one i got now). So my eyes were tearing up from dryness as I had to keep the lid up one click to keep it from fogging up instantly.

But even with all that aside, I can honestly say it was one of the best experiences of my life. Everything was racing through my mind as I dropped the bike into 1st. I dropped my visor down. I closed my eyes and went through the pre-flight routine I had laid out for myself before-hand. I took in deep slow controlled breaths and cleared my mind. I released the breaths just as slowly and instilled into my empty mind a message of "nice, easy, controlled, shhhhhh, feel it, thats it, yeah, thats the zone, be smart, be calm, be at peace, be alert, be focussed, shhhhh, mmm hmmm, warm and fuzzy, happy happy, shhhhhh" Then everything I had ever been previous to that moment as an individual and my countless life experiences and such just melted away as I eased off on the clutch and lifted my left foot to the peg. No stall, clean launch.

Easy cruise around town. Fighting back the extreme cold, the intense watering and dryness of my eyes, the touch of fatigue, I felt something very special. When a man is completely and utterly focussed on something with his mind, his body, and his emotions....it has a way of becoming almost spiritual.

Just utterly amazing. What a ride. Nothing went wrong (except a handful of stalls at red lights). My prior fear of the bike was completely unfounded. She is a sweet sweet girl is my Fizzy. A couple of times I was slightly unsure if I had come into a corner too quickly. I know I hadnt as I was really going very slowly relative to the world around me, but to my rookie self a couple of corners had alert flags going up. I leaned my weight over a touch to compensate and Fizzy grinned at me and took my hand in hers and we coasted around our turn. I thanked her right then. Low speed maneuvering her rear brake lever was soft to the touch and very responsive and smooth. (I had problems with rear brake control on the dirt bikes in the training course)

I have identified some areas I need to work on. 1) being afraid to try to turn the bike quickly (I was trying to pick speeds and paths that would allow me to just every so gently nudge her where I wanted to go and I learned it was because I was not completely at ease with turning so need to practice 30-60 kph turns)

2) quick swerves to dodge obstacles. I was making sure to steer clear of things on the road but even in the training course I was having problems quickly shoving the bike in one direction.

3) clutch control. all shifts were fine over 1st gear. only a handful of stalls on 1st. problem was I could have been smoother.

well im off to sleep sleep now.

cant wait to do this again 2morrow in the daylight and decent warmth.

:)

Gnight all~

Fizzy says goodnight too~

Last edited:
Oh tears! I just CAN'T stop crying! That sounded wonderful!

It's like the feeling I get when working with the flowers. It's so nice to fight the frost and keep them alive.

congrats on the new bike. you are gonna love it. take your time and ease into it. what a great feeling, i can still remember like yesterday, even though i was 4 when i first experienced the magic of the 'throttle'!

Riding a bike is so much more involving than driving a car, and requires much more work. But the rewards are huge.

Take it easy and practice lots.

Your fun has yet to begin...

With confidence lean angle will increase. You'll find the tires are capable of amazing traction.

For those 'quick swerves' remember steady with the throttle. Don't to eat up all your available traction closing/opening the throttle abruptly.

Don't worry, that handful of stalls will improve if they haven't already. I've embarrassed myself a time or two on this one. Just be careful in traffic, relax and don't panic - we don't want you carrier launching into trouble.

Be safe, ride your own ride and have fun.

Hay man, your pretty good at writing! :) Very vivid feelings there! :)

Listen, do yourself a major favour and book a few hours with a motorcycle instructor. Its very important to know the basics and when coming from a qualified person your more likely to remember every detail and wont be second guessing any moves you make or have to make. If you get yourself a few hours training you'll be riding around for a very very long time having as much fun as you did on your virgin run! :)

I'm just saying this out of concern, I know its simple/basic common sense to get training but dont do what I did and leave it for 1 year "guessing" about what the correct way to ride was...because I was actually wrong and the only training i've had done so far amounts to 15 hours...doesn't seem like alot but that foundation has stood to me so so so many times (saved me alot of hospital bills and my bike is still scratch free after 9000 miles) I started on a 125cc bike and moved up to this one...i couldn't imagine riding this as my first bike...so if it were me i'd be getting instructed before getting on an unrestricted 98bhp monster! :)

Anyways, maybe a bit heavy with the info there...I'm glad you had fun, you'll certainly have many many hours of fun in store for you! :)

Last edited:
lol went out again 2day. Had to buy toe nail clippers you know.... ;)

man what a ride. when the weather is nice and the visibility is great it makes for a so much better ride.

shifts were smoother, tho not perfect yet.

spent a while in a parking lot practicing emergency braking and getting my right hand comfortable on the brake lever. the first time my back wheel came up about 3 feet or so was quite a "woooop" moment with eyebrows halfway up my forehead. but glided it back down by keeping a cool head and easing off the brake.

obstacle avoidance worked on it i got lucky someone had left a pylon stick thing in the middle of the parking lot so swerved around it like 20 times or so till i got comfortable doing it.

a bunch of throttle/cluthc/R.brake maneuvring thru paint markings and I was off to a place called research park. it is an empty stretch of road that has a bunch of nice swooping corners that go back and forth very nicely with some sharper corners as well. its set up in a circle pretty much so you can keep doing laps and no body can merge in without you seeing them hundreds of yards away. did 2-3 laps in 2nd gear roundabout 30-40kph. got comfortable leaning the bike a little more and teaching myself not to be afraid of falling sideways lol (as long as i kept the bike stabilized with some throttle).

Then I had an "incident" lol. In one of the looping corners I was doing about 60 kph in 2nd and I let off the throttle a bit too much I think I was changing gears. The back wheel did one of those flying-around-behind-you things and the bike started somewhat violently shaking side to side. I gave it a bit of throttle and straightened the bike out (which would have taken me off into the grass) but when the bike stabilized I gave it front brake to slow it down and nudged it back on path. If I had been going any faster or if the rear wheel had been rocking the bike any more violently Im sure I would have dumped the bike. Was a gradual increase over like half an hour to that point and I think I have found my personal comfort level and skills threshold.

Then back onto the main road and rode back home. Much more comfortable, much more confident, and much more aware of my surroundings as I wasnt worried about the bike as much.

Very nice drifting about through traffic. I couldnt imagine speeding through traffic it just seems such madness to even try.

oh, and one of the highlights of the ride?

I was just leaving the house heading down the first main rode. I was feeling very happy as though I were setting out on an adventure to find some lost hidden secret of humanity and only I could find it. Very enthusiastic, very much tingling with anticipation....I was bubbling. I catch a glimpse of a sport touring machine heading the other way on the other side of the road with rider and passenger. I see helmets turn slightly. I raise my hand, and BOTH of them wave back. I grinned. In a sea of metal, carbon-fibre, lights, strangers, enemies on 4 wheels, I was feeling very defensive and very isolated in a way. That moment where we waved at each other was really quite vindicating. Comrades in a sea of sworn enemies. Very special. I rode a little taller in my seat after that.

Taking a break to eat and do some chores then Im heading out again. Haha wow.

Congrats, especially on the fact that it sounds like you have the clutch under control already; that thing gave me fits for months. :eek:
And, yeah, getting those first waves from other bikers is one of the coolest club indoctrinations you can have. Ride safe!

haha i love writing what can i say

I can only hope I have entertained at least a few of you.

and I rode a scooter around a whole bunch when I was younger thats about it for riding experience.

been out allllllll day today think I put on like 200 km. all shifts getting pretty smooth except that one into 1st is tricky sometimes.

and soooooooooooo many guys ARENT waving back its VERY discouraging. At one point I stopped waving and someone waved at me and i missed waving back. I know he got that "rejected handshake" feeling and I felt bad for it.

in any event, im taking a break and heading back out shortly.

:)

Alrighty, I have spent a few more days and many, many hours over those few days working on getting smoother and more in control of the situations I find myself in.

I have become much more humble in the last little while for several reasons. Mainly feedback from people telling me I am trying to move up the learning curve too quickly. After anything happens on the road that is less than 100% safe or smooth I take a momentary timeout and re-evaluate my skill level. Each time I find myself becoming more honest with myself.

I have spent some time with my cousin (who has ridden for years) and I have become infinitely more smooth in my bike control (no not yet perfectly smooth far from it, just 100X more smooth than I was just a few days ago). The feedback he gave me that was most helpful was to initiate a lean with my feet and roll the leaning movement up into my legs. After trying to do this I found I had been initiating a lean incorrectly before this. I had been turning the bike with my arms and shoulders and this top-heavy turning method was making for less-than-stable turns. I spent quite a bit of time on some backroads working on smoother bike control and found myself much smoother using that turning methodology (and gently rolling throttle in case of slightly undershooting corner, and gently increasing lean angle for slightly overshooting corners).

My low-speed control is ok, and I find myself stalling much less frequently going into first gear.

What I was amazed by though was spending some time on his dual sport suzuki DRZ400, wow that thing was so smooth. My shifts were PERFECT and my bike control was infinitely more smooth. Im starting to see why people steer people towards those for first bikes. It is one of those things where unless you experience it for yourself you can hear the reasoning till the cows come home you will always justify it in your own mind that the bike youre getting is the one for you. Truth be told even after spending time on the DRZ (which I have been given free unlimited use of when I want to take it out on back roads or dirt treks) I am still happy with my FZ6 purchase. It is not that I "cant handle" the FZ6 as I have rarely revved it over 6-7,000 rpm and have been working on good awareness and smooth control....the biggest thing is if I didnt have the DRZ400 to practice on as well my bike control learning curve would have been handicapped completely. Would take me 2 years to learn on the FZ6 what I could learn in 2 months on the DRZ.

Apart from that I am going to continue chewing everyone's ears off and I apologize for that. But quite honestly, if it werent for the feedback I get from you guys I would be hurt right now. I have been getting closer and closer to reality from the time I put a downpayment on a ducati 848 back in march. Internet forums are my main lifeline to feedback from experienced riders.

Heartfelt THANK YOU to EVERYONE who replied in whatever context now or in the future to anything I say. Truly first class gentlemen.

Cheers~

1100 posts and 9,700km later.....

weeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!

I love my bike so much it hurts.

:thumbup: awesome story, reminds me of my own start to biking, though I started with a scooter so it was completely different and much easier. This spring I am making the switch over to an FZ6 much like yours...2007, red. I anticipate a big learning curve with the gearing.

Really good write up... Just enjoy the rides, be aware of your limitations, and have fun.

We all make mistakes when riding, just make sure they are minor ones, I am sure you will be fine.

Back