From touring to naked...now touring naked!

CCHOUSEKY

Kentucky Wildcat Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
So, you all that have been here for a while might remember that initially I set my FZ6 up for touring/commuting duty. Bar risers, Givi topcase, etc. Then I got swept up in the "conversion fever" (and don't regret it for one second...but I blame armystrong and Wavex! :D).

However, I realized that I liked the Givi setup and when I had a chance to get the E21 hard sidecases from semongtaulie earlier this year, I jumped at it. Of course, I still had the topcase rack, so I started contemplating getting another one of those (previously I had the V46, but I sold it to another member during my naked conversion phase). I didn't want to bust the bank, so I opted for the E45NJ topcase this time, and I have to say, I love it. It's much more squared than the V46 and frankly, I like the "industrial" design.

I got it in today and popped it on and really like it! I'm now ready for whatever riding throws at me. I can be sleek and naked (removing all the racks takes about 10 minutes), or I can be ready for a cross-country jaunt (none are planned...but hey, you never know!)

Here's a few pics of where I started and the progression my bike has gone through over the years.

My first season with the bike (2007). Set up for touring duty:

IMG_2368.jpg

After my naked conversion:

IMG_2028.jpg

E21 sidecases added (along with rim stripes this past weekend):

15007c41.jpg

Today: E45 topcase added:

8a50a26c.jpg

f88ed070.jpg

BUT WAIT!!! There's more! (In my best "Sunday, Sunday, Sunday!!!" voice :rolleyes:)

I work in a sign shop, so we've got lots of different retro-reflective materials to play with (and the plotters to design things on). I decided the stock red stripe on the topcase just wasn't going to do on my blue bike, so out came the measuring tape, cut went the plotter, and before you know it, I'd transformed the red stripe into a blue one. I haven't got a shot of it on the bike yet, but I think it'll work MUCH better. Have I mentioned I'm obsessed with blue? :thumbup:

0c93dbf0.jpg

8fc35402.jpg

So, as you can see, my bike has gone from one extreme to the other and back again. That's what I love about these bikes...they're so darn customizable! For a little bit of money, you can turn it into just about anything you want.

Squiz

Reaction score
Visit site
Pure sex.

The exact look I’m going for minus the top case, but you already knew that! :rolleyes:

Looks dynamite!

Last edited:

spock

Reaction score
Visit site
Yours is a gorgeous bike, congratulations.

I love the look of naked bikes in touring mode ... just like my black naked one with givi e370 trunk and v35 side cases :D:D

CCHOUSEKY

Kentucky Wildcat Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the kind comments everyone! I know having cases on a naked probably isn't everyone's cup of tea (and probably breaks some unwritten rule of nakedness!), but I subscribe to the idea that your bike is YOURS, and as long as you like it and it does what you need it to do, then it's a beautiful machine. :thumbup:

Armystrong, how's that Sprint ST working out for you? I've told you before that a buddy of mine has one exactly like yours and I lust after that thing! I'm willing to bet you're loving it.

And yeah...I'm partial to that Wildcat Blue...lol. Heck, I've got a UK tattoo that proves I'm one of those crazy, rabid, lunatic Big Blue Nation members! We had a great run this year and next year should be even better! :rockon:

dean owens

Hippopotomonstrosesquiped
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.ccf-unc.org
as others have said, very nice bike. i have a quick question about your front end. you have what looks like an '06 but those aren't the brakes of an '06. did you just switch out calipers or did you change out your whole front end?

McLovin

plain evil
Reaction score
Visit site
it looks awesome with just the side racks! i cant complain about the whole thing being in there either...i think this is a really good look, good job

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
LOVE IT!!

Almost my bike's twin! :thumbup:

(this was before exhaust / FE kit)

30180d1282069501-riding-game-fz6farmersmarket.jpg

armystrong

feeling Triumphant
Reaction score
www.fz6-forum.com
CCHOUSKEY...loving the Sprint ST ABS. Rode it for 2 hours straight last weekend without as much of glimmer of discomfort. It fits me well. It also a really smooth bike compared to my ole reliable FZ and the power is ridiculous...dont think I've been over 3rd gear yet and that includes some highway rides (plenty of power in low gears without the high revs). I'm happy with the bike but still glad to be a member of this community too...and I often wonder how my FZ is doing...lol

CCHOUSEKY

Kentucky Wildcat Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
as others have said, very nice bike. i have a quick question about your front end. you have what looks like an '06 but those aren't the brakes of an '06. did you just switch out calipers or did you change out your whole front end?

Those are the calipers from the '07 R6S that donated it's forks to me. :D I believe there are other year R6S forks that have silver caps instead of the blue ones. But, to answer your question, I did the R6 fork mod and those are the calipers that came with them. I got lucky on the blue caps!

LOVE IT!!

Almost my bike's twin! :thumbup:

(this was before exhaust / FE kit)

30180d1282069501-riding-game-fz6farmersmarket.jpg

Wow, Erci, I'm not sure I've seen your bike in a while! That looks GREAT! (Of course, as you pointed out, we've basically got twins, so OF COURSE I love it!) If I still had my V46, we'd definitely be brothers by other mothers...lol.

CCHOUSKEY...loving the Sprint ST ABS. Rode it for 2 hours straight last weekend without as much of glimmer of discomfort. It fits me well. It also a really smooth bike compared to my ole reliable FZ and the power is ridiculous...dont think I've been over 3rd gear yet and that includes some highway rides (plenty of power in low gears without the high revs). I'm happy with the bike but still glad to be a member of this community too...and I often wonder how my FZ is doing...lol

I've only ridden my buddy's Sprint once, but I know exactly what you're talking about with the power. It's so darn smooth and I love that torque down low...so much so that I refuse to ride it now for fear of wanting to trade the FZ6 for one...lol. I've also had the privilege of riding a Street Triple R...OMG...those Triumphs are one amazing piece of machinery!

I'm glad to see you're sticking around here too!

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Those are the calipers from the '07 R6S that donated it's forks to me. :D I believe there are other year R6S forks that have silver caps instead of the blue ones. But, to answer your question, I did the R6 fork mod and those are the calipers that came with them. I got lucky on the blue caps!

Wow, Erci, I'm not sure I've seen your bike in a while! That looks GREAT! (Of course, as you pointed out, we've basically got twins, so OF COURSE I love it!) If I still had my V46, we'd definitely be brothers by other mothers...lol.

I've only ridden my buddy's Sprint once, but I know exactly what you're talking about with the power. It's so darn smooth and I love that torque down low...so much so that I refuse to ride it now for fear of wanting to trade the FZ6 for one...lol. I've also had the privilege of riding a Street Triple R...OMG...those Triumphs are one amazing piece of machinery!

I'm glad to see you're sticking around here too!

I rode a Sprint GT recently, and i think the FZ6 is just as good to ride, i found the big triumph, similar in terms of power, but a bit "detached" to ride, bloody nice bike though.

:thumbup:

armystrong

feeling Triumphant
Reaction score
www.fz6-forum.com
I rode a Sprint GT recently, and i think the FZ6 is just as good to ride, i found the big triumph, similar in terms of power, but a bit "detached" to ride, bloody nice bike though.

:thumbup:

I've never been on the GT, dont really like the look of the bike and its bigger (longer and bit heavier I think) than the ST. I enjoyed the FZ too but I can feel myself falling in love with the Sprint too...

Hope I'm not thread jacking you CCHOUSKEY...take care and again...your bike looks great.

Be safe everyone.

CCHOUSEKY

Kentucky Wildcat Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
I've never been on the GT, dont really like the look of the bike and its bigger (longer and bit heavier I think) than the ST. I enjoyed the FZ too but I can feel myself falling in love with the Sprint too...

Hope I'm not thread jacking you CCHOUSKEY...take care and again...your bike looks great.

Be safe everyone.

The ST definitely has a bit more weight to throw around and I understand where Wolfman is coming from with the "detached" idea, but it's one amazing piece of machinery. You really can't go wrong with either it or the FZ6!

And armystrong, no worries. Threadjack away! Heck, I'm the one that started the Sprint line of questioning anyway...lol.