FZ6 "Black project"! Now with Spy Video!

re: FZ6 "Black project"! Now with Spy Video!

I think i forgot to mention earlier...i weighed all the nuts and bolts i took off the bike, and either replaced with titanium, or are no longer required on the bike...

Total weight of the nuts, bolts, washers, etc, taken off the bike was 1.6kg, but the cool bit is that the titanium nuts, and bolts i have replaced them with only weigh a total of 400grams...

In total, so far about 75 bolts have been replaced with titanium, and about another 30 bolts no longer have a purpose, or need to be on the bike.

Area's where bolts have been replaced - engine bolts on both sides, brake caliper mount bolts, triple clamp bolts on the top and bottom, sub-frame bolts, handlebar mounts, rider controls, exhaust header nuts, rear sprocket nuts, and a few other bits and pieces.

next will be titanium axles, i have found a guy locally who will make the axle's for me. These should shave a little bit more weight off again.

But today, is headlight install day!

:rockon:

Well, today i got the headlight mounted...wasnt all plain sailing...did lots of screwing around with the wiring for the headlight, and indicators, but it was worth it, as now the indicator wires are completely concealed, thanks to drilling a couple of holes, fitting grommits, and sending the indicator wires through the same tube as the headlight wires...result was great...cant see a connector anywhere, and it's waterproofed!

The rest was just getting the thing straight, centred, and at the right height...

The end result is this...part of the project is done!!!
View attachment 31830

View attachment 31831

View attachment 31832

View attachment 31833

View attachment 31834

View attachment 31835

View attachment 31836

View attachment 31837

Woah.. :eek:

This bike is gonna be one mean mother-f*%ker!

Last edited:

Very nice & very neat! All the wiring goes through that flexi tube you can see in the last photo?

Very nice & very neat! All the wiring goes through that flexi tube you can see in the last photo?

Yep, there is actualy 2 pieces of that "flexi tube", one that hides the instrument cluster wiring loom, and one that hides all the headlight, and indicator wires...

Money well spent at the electronics shop!

Words can not describe how much I love what you are doing. Wolfman is a God among mortals when it comes to FZ6 mods. *Bows*

Ok, update time...last night was little jobs night...an night to clean a lot of stuff up ready for when i put it all back on the bike in the bext few days.

Lots of metal polishing by hand - front and back wheels (hard freaking work!), the headers, mid pipe, connector pipe, and end cans, and the rear sets.
View attachment 31849

View attachment 31854

View attachment 31855

View attachment 31856

Spent a bit of time putting the number plate light on the number plate, which involved drilling a couple of tiny holes in the number plate, and attaching the number plate light directly to the number plate....
View attachment 31850

View attachment 31851

Whilst i was there, i attached the "rear fender", which i had made previously, onto the FE.
View attachment 31852

Also gave the Ohlins shock absorber a real good clean.
View attachment 31853

Waxed and polished the tank, bellypan, and headlight unit!

Cleaned the frame with paint cleaner, then gave it a good polish...came up a treat!

Only things to do now, before i get the sub frame and the seat unit back... get a new brake light sensor for the rear brake, and purchase some heat proofing tape for under the subframe undertray, between it and the exhaust...

:drool: :thumbup:

I don't know about the other forum members here, but I sometimes live vicariously through you and imagine that I had the funds to do whatever I wanted to with my bike.

I'm afraid that if I did have the money/time, that my bike would turn out looking a lot like yours. :D

Very much looking forward to the finished project pictures.

:drool: :thumbup:

I don't know about the other forum members here, but I sometimes live vicariously through you and imagine that I had the funds to do whatever I wanted to with my bike.

I'm afraid that if I did have the money/time, that my bike would turn out looking a lot like yours. :D

Very much looking forward to the finished project pictures.

I save a lot of money by doing a lot of stuff myself, i save more money by scouring around for parts at the right price, i am also starting to save money these days by getting to know the right people to outsource work too, not always the cheapest place, but the best eqipped, skilled, and most trustworthy with my stuff!, and i save more money by looking after my bike ALL THE TIME!

But i do admit, this bike has had a very large amount of money thrown at it, but it has been over 2.5 years.

But i could'nt do any of it properly without decent tools! cheap tools suck! they either break, or damage what you are trying to work on with them...

And by the way, if you are getting enjoyment out of all this, that's awesome, i do the same, look at other people's amazing home built projects, and dream...there are some incredible bikes out there...this lil FZ6 doesnt have a patch on most of them...

Can hardly call that a FZ6 anymore...... The headlight is pure evil :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just love it, the missus hates it, she thinks it looks "nasty"...but she does have purple car seat covers, and flower stickers on her car windows! :D

I too think it looks nasty...which is why i like it, i reckon it looks like if it came to life, it would start eating children...

Can describe how much i appreciate Mav selling it to me, cause it aint exactly a common item, that's for sure...

Now that it has been painted again, it looks nuts! from every angle...pictures dont do it justice.

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

I love your exhaust!!!

looks great! but i have not heard it just yet, notsince i shortened the end cans, and taken out the catalytic converter....

I have a feeling they are going to be "more than impressively loud", and i may need to get some custom baffles made for normal everyday riding...ie: in the city! Just so i dont attract the "wrong type" of attention.

:thumbup:

Woot! Just found out that my Radial brake calipers have been shipped from the USA! Woot! Woot!

Also found out that i wont need to change my disc's to 310mm disc's. which is great, cause the wave discs i have on the front of the bike...were not cheap, and there is nothing wrong with them!

Also found an inline hydraulic rear brake light sensor that will fit, and work...for just $20 from Kawasaki...is off one of their big traillies...ordered this yesterday, should be in by Wednesday...

the re-build now looks like happening on THURSDAY!

Woot! Woot! Just spoke to Jamie from topcoat...my sub frame, seat support and seat unit are READY for pick up! OMFG I am excited! Will pick the parts this afternoon, and start the re-build tonight!

Bike looks flippin great mate :thumbup: How long till you obtain the BST wheels? Should make a huge difference to weight & handling of the bike. Hurry up & finish it :D

Right click, "Save As"

Smashing job :thumbup:

Bike looks flippin great mate :thumbup: How long till you obtain the BST wheels? Should make a huge difference to weight & handling of the bike. Hurry up & finish it :D

Right click, "Save As"

Smashing job :thumbup:

I ended up canceling my original order for the BST wheels as I decided that I wanted to get the single sided swingarm mod sorted properly...it seems the original single sided swingarm I picked would not work, because it was slightly too narrow...

Don't wanna use the VFR single sided swingarm, which I know can be used, was looking for something a bit lighter...

There is no point in doing that mod if it is actually going to be heavier than the OEM swingarm set up..

So if I can't find a lighter single sided swingarm, I will forego that mod, and just get the BST wheels that work with the OEM FZ6 swingarm...

I just wanna get this lot of mods working properly first...this is a pretty decent sized project as it is!

Plus if I leave getting the wheels a bit longer, I will have time to get the "buzz" from doing this, then get the "buzz" again when I do the wheels...I'm like a junkie trying to string out the "feeling"!

Fair enough mate. Save some of that buzz & don't peak too soon Jamie :D

Spose if you use a single sided swing arm that isnt off a VFR you will have to look at something European hey?

Very Very Nice! Im pretty pumped about this, I havent been on much but its crazy to watch you do this. I want to machine polish my stuff but im too lazy to clean wheels, will they corrode if you don't clean them or rust?

Back