fz6 - hard to sell?

greenthumb

Reaction score
Visit site
so ive been trying to sell my '07 this year and finding it difficult.:confused:

i have it listed on craigslist, a local electronic classifieds and a local newspaper for over two months now, and have yet to receive a single legit inquiry. not one.
there is nothing wrong with the bike and the price is fair.
ive seen other fz's for sale for long periods of time too. i have also noticed that a similarly priced 'sport' bike ad can receive as many views in a weekend as a fz ad in a month.

owner satisfaction and track record for this bike seems to good, so what gives?
is the fz just not mainstream enough and people dont know about it or is there just a poor market for used fz's?

JJP XX

Reaction score
Visit site
I haven't seen your ad but if it is lacking info such as year, make, model, mileage and condition at minimum, then I won't even look into the ad. No need to ask any of that info as it should be stated within the ad itself.

I'm sure you have your bike at a good price but most people are looking for a "great" price.

I know a forum member who bought their FZ6, with 4300 miles for $3000 over the winter.

I bought my 04 VFR and 08 ZX14 for great prices at off season times too.

Keep the faith as someone will buy your bike soon.

:)

fazer.rider

Reaction score
Visit site
i plan on keeping my fizzer for as long as possible. when i get a pure sport bike i will just convert the fizz into a full touring bike with luggage. :D

greenthumb

Reaction score
Visit site
........ if it is lacking info such as year, make, model, mileage and condition at minimum, then I won't even look into the ad. No need to ask any of that info as it should be stated within the ad itself.

I'm sure you have your bike at a good price but most people are looking for a "great" price.

I know a forum member who bought their FZ6, with 4300 miles for $3000 over the winter.
:)

i have all relevant info listed, decent photos and such. now i will agree my asking price is not a steal of a deal, but is inline with other fz's in my area, and is less than what the dealership said I should ask for it.

its not only the lack of interest in MY bike, but the fact that used fz's around here dont seem to sell quickly that baffles me.

the bike is paid for, and i really like it, but i have a new bike and am simply not riding it and cant justify having it sit there depreciate when i could put the money to other uses.

broon

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey just for reference

I bought my FZ6 a few months ago in Kelowna. Paid $7200 for an 08 with 300km on it, and that was from a dealer. So yeah your price is fair compared to other listings locally (salmon arm wants the same but has 9k more on it). For me the $700 bucks difference is not enough for me to take the hassle and risk of buying privately over a dealer (not to mention your bike is a year older and has 9k more kilometers).

Locally dealers are making great deals and willing to come way down below asking. If you want to move it, rethink your price add a head on shot and one showing the instruments.

Just me 2cents

fxclm5

Reaction score
Visit site
i cant sell my bike either, i have OVER $2500+ in trick parts on it as well, not a single bite, and i was only asking KBB for a 06 w/ 24k miles.

I plan on selling the bike for like 3,500 if i can after i rip off all the goodies :spank:

I live in nor-cal population in the millions, dont feel 2 bad, all the n00bs want a supersport and dunno what a FZ6 is, on a more local forum some n00b says hes got 4500 cash, so i PM him and he only wants a 03+ 600 SUPERSPORT, damn n00bs.

greenthumb

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey just for reference

I bought my FZ6 a few months ago in Kelowna. Paid $7200 for an 08 with 300km on it, and that was from a dealer. So yeah your price is fair compared to other listings locally (salmon arm wants the same but has 9k more on it). For me the $700 bucks difference is not enough for me to take the hassle and risk of buying privately over a dealer (not to mention your bike is a year older and has 9k more kilometers).

Locally dealers are making great deals and willing to come way down below asking. If you want to move it, rethink your price add a head on shot and one showing the instruments.

Just me 2cents

ha ha, good sleuth work, but my bike is the one in salmon arm - not the blue one i think youre thinking of.:eyebrow:
i was the cheapest fz listed, but the others have dropped their price recently.

i guess im a little naive to the depreciation on this bike, but when you compare it to other 'sportish' bikes of the same asking price, theyre generally several years older and/or been dropped. but still - not a single inquiry? makes me wonder if its not the price, but the bike itself.
i could drop the price significantly in order to make it sell, but at what point is worth just to keep it? after all, i dont need to sell it - im just not riding it, and that seems stupid.

Last edited:

sFoster

new rider
Reaction score
Visit site
I just bought mine this week. $3,200 for a 2005 with 10k miles
Not quite the steal that someone else mentioned earlier, but I am very pleased with it.

One suggestion I might have is to mention some other models in your posting.
For example: "This bike has the same motor as the R6"

Now anyone that searches craigslist for R6 will get your FZ6 posting too..
Maybe they'll realize that your bike is better suited for them.

Also mention how cheap the insurance is with this bike.
That may help to push some people away from the super sports

n1one

RIP Tom Eden
Reaction score
Visit site
Not quite the steal that someone else mentioned earlier, but I am very pleased with it.

Good ideas....:thumbup: This could help steer buyers in your direction....

08-FZ6

Reaction score
Visit site

GREAT ideas!

mercm3

newbie still dammit
Reaction score
Visit site
As a newbie I think the main issue with a used FZ6 is it's market demographic. I used craigslist which I think alot of newbies do and we're eithering looking for a very basic beginner bike (which I don't feel the FZ6 is really), if you take a look online some moto websites do not recommend an FZ6 as a beginner bike. Or ppl are looking for some totally badass supersport to get for cheap. I honestly did not look for FZ6's at all untill a good buddy of mine(who had been riding for about 10 year and I used to ride dirtbikes with back in the day) told me to take a look at one that was in excellent condition.

FZ6 seems to be marketed to non-beginners who probably know exactly what they want and in this day and age ppl who know exactly what they want seem to be a small minority of folks.

The adding of R6 in your description will probably do a great job of increasing your traffic.

mcteague

Reaction score
Visit site
FZ6 seems to be marketed to non-beginners who probably know exactly what they want and in this day and age ppl who know exactly what they want seem to be a small minority of folks.

That is pretty much how I came to the FZ6. My return to motorcycles bike was an '08 Ninja 250R. That bike taught me I really will get back into things and...ow, my lower back is killing me. It did not have supersport bars but was just too cramped.

I don't like cruisers, have no need to ride off-road and want something more comfortable than the repli-racers. A bit of a windscreen would be nice for the highway. That pretty much left me with the Kawasaki Versys and FZ6. Comparing them quickly ruled out the Versys. I did not like the seat, the WAY upright position and very wide bars. The parts and build quality seemed much better on the Yamaha. Plus, the front of the Versys is just plain ugly.

The US market just does not have many comfortable but sporty bikes. Sounds like the pickings are going to get even slimmer in the future.

Tim

chunkygoat

Reaction score
Visit site
I bought my 08 with 0 miles on it, for around $8,800 after gear, taxes, and tags. I know it wasn't the deal of the century, but after a few months of shopping around on craigslist and meeting a number of people to look at bikes, I was fed up with even inquiring about bikes on craigslist or any other ad.

The one guy showed me a spray painted black 04 cbr, and dropped it while he was showing me. Another guy showed me a honda shadow and told me it'd never been dropped. When I looked at it in person, I could see scratches all over the gas tank, crank case, handlebars, plus the forks looked twisted.

What I learned? Don't even talk to people on craigslist as none of them know what they're talking about. What i would suggest is taking it to a dealer that will accept a trade in for another bike. Either that or sell it to a friend or family member.

Vehicles are DEPRECATING assets. Unless it is vintage or a project car/bike, never expect to make money off of selling a vehicle you have used.

And steer clear of craigslist as they are all scam artists and people looking for things for $free.99

I could be full of crap, but that is what my experiences have taught me.

Mexi-can't

Biker dude
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I've had similar experience but it worked to my benefit. Saw an 06 listed for just under $3k with less than 3k miles. It had been on craigslist for almost a month. :confused: I saw quite a few with over 10k miles for almost $1200 more, and the ad stating it was a "great" deal. :rolleyes: In most of the adds I see people listing KBB as a reference for their asking price. The retail prices given by KBB are clearly stated as being for a dealer reconditioned excellent bike, which most I've looked at don't even remotely fall into that category.

sFoster

new rider
Reaction score
Visit site
What I learned? Don't even talk to people on craigslist as none of them know what they're talking about.

You can look at the bike. You can turn it on and see if any of the warnings light flash like it says in the manual. (Available online).

You can see if the engine runs.. and check the odometer.
I think it's a mistake to dismiss craigslist entirely; Thats where I got my bike last week, and it was a killer deal.

It was a bit of a drive ( 2 hours away ) to see the bike, but it had been online for a month. The pictures were very unappealing and it worked tremendously to my advantage! Nobody else had really looked into the bike.

It was in the front lawn, with a large piece of cardboard taped to the windshield! Yes, this was the picture posted for the ad! (I can only assume the piece of cardboard had sales information written on it, since the bike was parked in the yard)

Also the chain was red... but it's a blue bike. One of my friends thought that it was rusted when I showed him the picture. But it was actually a red chain that the sellers son had upgraded to, and it's a higher quality than the stock..

I was looking for an FZ6 for a few weeks before I finally decided to go see that one in person. I took it for a test drive and I was sold :D

Last edited:

dean owens

Hippopotomonstrosesquiped
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.ccf-unc.org
Also the chain was red... but it's a blue bike.

are you on the east coast? i'm pretty sure i saw that bike when i was looking. it was a little too far away for me to take a chance on. i knew it was an aftermarket chain and not rust... but it sure didn't make the bike prettier. and for some reason i'm thinking it had 4 exhaust pipes coming out rather than two... it was either that or it had higher miles than i was willing to deal with for the drive. regardless, i remember the price being pretty good.