FZ6 US Pony Express

Status
Not open for further replies.

opds9091

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey,

I think it might make an interesting "class" project to take a rider with a bag of goodies from the Eastern US and travel through the various states. The rider would then hand off the bag to the next rider along the way. He or she would eventually end up on somewhere on the west coast. It would be similar to the way in which mail was delivered in 19th. century.

PonyExpress-3.jpg

This would have to be perhaps in the early summer to allow everyone to avoid snow and ice. We could post with Google Maps the progress on this forum.

Any takers?

it was rider1a original idea to do the coast to coast, but ant came up with the whole US idea, so lets try to put this together and take a poll, or a plan on whats needs to be done.

Last edited:

Fz6Sa

SS1000 Veteran
Elite Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
www.youtube.com
How about going global with this?

Don't we more or less have members all over the world?

Would be sorta like the Olympic flame if we could pull it off, and make carry the shipment around the world and back to it's starting place!

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Im def down for that haha. That would be awesome actually. You could even throw in stuff along the way like pics or something small. I'd say whoever starts, take a pic of yourself and the FZ and print it out and put in bag. Then when you hand it off, next guy takes a pic, so on and so forth.
Why don't you use a SD memory card? That way as the next rider meets up you can get a digital image of the handover. This would make a great post.

Nelly

notjohndavid

Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Why don't you use a SD memory card? That way as the next rider meets up you can get a digital image of the handover. This would make a great post.

Nelly

you know I was thinking something very similar. pass along a memory card or camera or something... or if nothing else have everyone get a picture of the handoff (of a trinket, bag, whatever is being passed from person to person) and then make a collage of all the pics. but having a thread of a bunch of pictures would be maybe even more interesting

codeblue

winter soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
World wide pony (FZ6) express, sounds like an awesome plan, wouldn't it be great if the "final" destination is the man who made it possible for all of us...... Admin.
What say you???????????

rider1a

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey Folks,

Go ahead and bookmark this page. I will update this with the latest list, comments and general status news.

Some ideas to cogitate:

1. We can pass on a water-tight bag with bank cashier's check payable to a non-profit organization yet to be determined. Each rider can raise the funds in any capacity he or she sees fit.

2. I suggest we have a start date in Maine on June 1 to allow warm riding weather anywhere in the US. For obvious reasons, the route will take a path where volunteer motorcycle riders are located. Let's have a cut-off date of around May 15th. for signing-up so the final route can be ascertained.

3. Logistically, having this event run on a global basis might be tough to implement, but we could have other riders in Europe and elsewhere do the event concurrently.

Let me know everyone's thoughts on this.

PonyExpress-3.jpg

Below is the roster of riders who have volunteered for the Summer 2009 Pony Express Rides

FZ6 Pony Express Groups

rider1a - From Louisiana border to Austin, Texas

gpd211 - southern half of ohio and indiana (southern half)

dark_isz - North Carolina

Have2BeFree - upstate NY to VT/NH/PA/MA/NJ

chuckfz6ryder - Massachusetts

shaggystyle - Southern Indiana through KY

afpreppie04 - New Mexico - He will take control of the Pony Express from rgatling coming from Austin, Texas and ride to ??

MarinaFazer - Southern California (Los Angeles to Santa Barbara)

scottsst - Washington

teeter - VA, WV

opds9091 - Florida

doc_simple - Oregon

CCHOUSEKY - help Shaggy out with the Kentucky leg.

agmom98 - UT in May, IN an surrounding states in June, TN and surrounding states in July.

Wanderingpie - Oregon

Norm - NE MA

oogie - Ga.,Tenn.,Al., Fl.

Donnie869 - I could help "opds9091" with Florida.

rgatling - I can help out with part of Central TX. Roy Gatling will ride from Austin, Texas to New Mexico hand off.

mpb218 - Eastern CT here, I could get any state around me, RI is close.

ant_mb - I'm available for NJ, Eastern PA and some of DE.

scottsst - Oregon or Idaho/Utah.

mglowe - I will gladly do Iowa and Missouri to start with.

krid80 - I could go to the Illinois Indiana border or the Illinois/Kentucky or Missouri/Arkansas or etc.

shreveport1 - I could pick it up somewhere around Vicksburg Missisippi,and bring across Louisiana to Waskom Tx.

Brandad - I can take the hand-off from MarinaFazer and cover the central California area from San Luis Obispo to the San Francisco Bay area.

doc_simple - Looks like we are talking about a June 1st start? I will be heading from Oregon to Vermont via FZ6 pony on June 13th. I will be heading back about the 25th of June to arrive back in Portland sometime after the 4th of July. So I can do huge swaths of the country.

Suggested non-profit groups

Cancer Research Foundation
Susan B. Kohmen Foundation (for breast cancer)
Arthritis Foundation
Make a Wish Foundation
Alzheimer's Foundation
Shriner's Hospital
St. Jude's Childrens Hospital
Pediatric Brain Tumor Foundation (PBTF) Ride-4-Kids

My preference is for the PBTF since they often are involved with various motorcycle fund-raising efforts and have an excellent cause too. I guess each person could select one of the above groups and make their check(s) payable to the above organization.

START DATE: June 1, 2009 from The historic Fort Kent, Maine
FINISH DATE: ?? The Fisherman's Wharf, San Francisco, California
DISTANCE: 5,198 miles based on the last map route design.

SUGGESTED MAP

Last edited:

rgatling

Reaction score
Visit site
Great idea! I can help out with part of TX (it's big). I'm in Central TX, but can ride to other parts if that helps with logistics.

Reaction score
Visit site
- Raising money...keep it simple this time, just move a photo of each rider at the hand off point.
- I would move the cut off date to the left, say mid April instead, that gives you a month and a half to finish the logistical / mapping / and handoff piece. If you stick to May you'll have two weeks, and not much wiggle room.

- The Eurpoean piece would be a blast...I hope you try.

Have fun Aloha

opds9091

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I am in for this and Donnie and i will split Florida. When it's gets closer to PONY DAY everything will be worked out regarding the pick up points and where the package will be exchanged. Just to trough this out there, when we do the switch from state to state, we should take a picture of the 2-3 riders, and when the states are done we can post them here on our site.

mglowe

Reaction score
mglowe.public.iastate.edu
We need to have a centralized place on the Forum to keep up-to-date on such an event as this thread would be difficult to track. It really could work and it would be something to remember a lifetime.

krid80

journeyman of epic status
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.surdykeharley.com
I am on the Missouri, Illinois border. I could go to the Illinois Indiana border or the Illinois/Kentucky or Missouri/Arkansas or etc.

Sounds like fun!

The Toecutter

Hero for Hire
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I could pick it up somewhere around Vicksburg Missisippi,and bring across Louisiana to Waskom Tx. I live in Shreveport close to I-20

rider1a

Reaction score
Visit site
We need to have a centralized place on the Forum to keep up-to-date on such an event as this thread would be difficult to track. It really could work and it would be something to remember a lifetime.

For now, I will edit and add updates to this linky

I have added names of potential non-profits to be the focus of our cause. I guess if the /admin could add a voting page, we can allow folks to cast their ballot for the charity of his or her choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.