Glasspacks anyone? :)

vinmansbrew

Reaction score
Visit site
As I would be trashing everything from the bottom joint where the pipes all meet, on back, the flex pipe will still give me the bends I need to have made in regular pipe, so I am ok with it being temporary.
I know some flex pipes though are made for racing apps and would easily work here but they are more for joints, which might still be an option. A pipe such as this would handle things. Summit Racing SUM-642510-1 - Summit Racing® Flex Joint Pipes - Overview - SummitRacing.com
I have seen these used on certain model of dirt track cars.
Ideas just in the first stages though.

phranK2k11

Chat Camper :)
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm sorry vinmansbrew but I'm gonna have to take sides with FinalImpact and ChevyFazer on the flexpipe issue just because there are TOO many cars/trucks in WV already with rotted out exhaust for me to do anything but the best possible job I can at constructing this system. I don't want to keep this trend alive!

On a good note, I needed the mid pipe off to check what my local parts store has that will fit. As soon as I set to work I grabbed my camera and made some home movies :D

I made 1 with stock exhaust to give a baseline of how my camera captures sound.
Stock FZ6 exhaust sound - YouTube

Then I recreated the 1st pic in this thread and did a sound test with 1 glasspack on.
Glasspack sound test on FZ6 - YouTube

Both videos were at same engine speeds, idle for a few seconds then held at 4K then bumped up to 5K then a few quick flashes to 10K The engine had cooled off a little by the 2nd video and its cool out today so it makes a little steam,NOT SMOKE, during the demo.

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I reckon that sounds pretty decent!

Can't wait for the pics/diagrams to take into my local exhaust shop and say 'Make this please'!

Cheers,
Rick

phranK2k11

Reaction score
Visit site
I reckon that sounds pretty decent!

Can't wait for the pics/diagrams to take into my local exhaust shop and say 'Make this please'!

Cheers,
Rick

Imitation is the highest form of flattery and to that I say Thanks a bunch!! :BLAA:

hi have seen video of yours chevyfazer, it does sound sick, how much to make/ship me one phranK2k11?

If this turns out to be of quality worthy of purchase I'd put one together for cost + shipping. I enjoy working with automotive bits and am not out to make millions in profit like these $700+ systems that probably cost $45 to stamp out! I get that there is a certain cost of R&D prior to making the first one but come on, there has got to be a huge markup there!

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'd be in if you want to start making them!

For sure!

And I wouldn't ever ask someone to do something like this for nothing, so am more than happy to pay cost + labour. It'd still work out much, much cheaper and I reckon it'll sound great! (one thing I'd ask is to put a directional piece in the Y piece to use both mufflers, unlike some of these aftermaket ones the are straight through to one muffler and the other comes off the Y and isn't really used.....)

Very, very keen, so please keep us updated!

Cheers,
Rick

EDIT: Just going on with this idea, if you could make it such that it could just be fitted, with no further modification from the end user, these should sell great. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks like the output pipe is a greater diameter than the aftermarket pipes, and it looks like they'll have less internal resistance too - meaning this exhaust could well be classed as straight through, so would offer added benefit with a Power Comander/dyno-tune etc.

Last edited:

phranK2k11

Reaction score
Visit site
mave2911:
"And I wouldn't ever ask someone to do something like this for nothing, so am more than happy to pay cost + labour. It'd still work out much, much cheaper and I reckon it'll sound great! (one thing I'd ask is to put a directional piece in the Y piece to use both mufflers.....Just going on with this idea, if you could make it such that it could just be fitted, with no further modification from the end user"

I said if it comes off as a sell-able piece I would do em for cost + shipping, if you want to throw a lil $$ my way I wont argue LoL. It is my full intention to have a "Y" pipe vs the "h" pipe I've seen comes with most other store bought cans. It is also a goal to have it be a complete "bolt on" system that will replace stock bits without cutting/modding anything.

spine:
Wow. Impressive. I don't know how you do it. Well done!
Sounds an absolute beast!

Thanks spine I do it with determination to have a better sound without spending 1/2 my annual fuel cost on 1 mod :eek:

Oh, and BTW mave2911, yea it should be classed as "straight through" here's a pic :D
View attachment 41184

Fishwiz4

Reaction score
Visit site
sounds awesome. I would be interested if you decide to make them for others as well. do you have an idea what the cost would be for the materials?

phranK2k11

Reaction score
Visit site
sounds awesome. I would be interested if you decide to make them for others as well. do you have an idea what the cost would be for the materials?

I picked up some 1 3/4" pipe at a local autoparts store that has my bill a lil under $70 right now. A detailed list of supplies and assembly procedure will be in the "how to" section.

Next on my to do list is get the cans mounted securly in an eye pleasing arrangement. After that I will be running pipe then taking it all back off to paint the mufflers with 500* engine paint.
I currently have a home made FE that might need replaced depending on muffler mounting.

Ben_H

Reaction score
Visit site
Powder coating should be fine I have seen it on headers. You would have to do something to keep it from rusting. Most aftermarkets are stainless or titanium

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
Powder coating should be fine I have seen it on headers. You would have to do something to keep it from rusting. Most aftermarkets are stainless or titanium

Powder coating will hold up as long as its coated with a high temp powder, it's a little more expensive, but your "standard" powder coating will eventually burn off

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
If you could make a cat eliminator pipe and have it come up to the Y, it could be three piece (Y, cat eliminator & mufflers) which would make it easier to package and ship.

Say, $45ea for the two mufflers, $70 for pipework, $90 - $140 for your time and development (just thinking round numbers) would make them less than half price to a decent aftermarket kit - with the added benefit of less back pressure and no cat! (and I'd argue they'd be better than a mass produced aftermarket exhaust in a lot of ways)

Are, or could you get, the mufflers in stainless? That way, if everything was stainless, you'd get the longevity too!

Just thinking out loud, but I'm excited! (I'd love to be there to help!)

Cheers,
Rick

phranK2k11

Reaction score
Visit site
If you could make a cat eliminator pipe and have it come up to the Y, it could be three piece (Y, cat eliminator & mufflers) which would make it easier to package and ship.

Say, $45ea for the two mufflers, $70 for pipework, $90 - $140 for your time and development (just thinking round numbers) would make them less than half price to a decent aftermarket kit - with the added benefit of less back pressure and no cat! (and I'd argue they'd be better than a mass produced aftermarket exhaust in a lot of ways)

Are, or could you get, the mufflers in stainless? That way, if everything was stainless, you'd get the longevity too!

Just thinking out loud, but I'm excited! (I'd love to be there to help!)

Cheers,
Rick

A cat eliminator pipe is not in my plans as of right now but we'll see as things move forward. Your round numbers are very generous, between 2X mufflers and 36" of 1.75"ID pipe I have only spent $65 I searched all over the interweb and never found SS glasspacks in 12" length. If you'd really love to come help you're welcome to, as is anyone else with more time than they know what to do with :D

I think tomorrow will be mount the mufflers day? I'm sure I'll over think it and do 4hrs work with 20min of useful output! But that's how it goes LoL

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
A cat eliminator pipe is not in my plans as of right now but we'll see as things move forward. Your round numbers are very generous, between 2X mufflers and 36" of 1.75"ID pipe I have only spent $65 I searched all over the interweb and never found SS glasspacks in 12" length. If you'd really love to come help you're welcome to, as is anyone else with more time than they know what to do with :D

I think tomorrow will be mount the mufflers day? I'm sure I'll over think it and do 4hrs work with 20min of useful output! But that's how it goes LoL

I'd love to come and help, but the plane fares would be the killer!

I was completely off with my pricing! I thought I saw it somewhere that the mufflers were $45ea!

Well that makes it a better option all together!

I'll have to see what the mufflers cost over here - just for the shock value!

As for overthinking it, better to plan and then measure twice than to cut and spend the rest of the day trying to fix up a simple oversight!

Cheers,
Rick

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
That's a great set up! You can easily make db cutters to install on those.
I'd just put some hi temp flat black paint on them...:rockon: