Glasspacks anyone? :)

phranK2k11

Chat Camper :)
Reaction score
Visit site
As you wish Zack, an update.

Instead of working for 4hrs and getting 20min of progress accomplished, I took the bike out of the shed.....then rode her for 150miles and got no progress made :spank:

Sorry guys!!! I hate to let you all down like that but it was just WAY to nice out to work :D

Monday I took the mufflers and pipe to work. Thats where the welder and tools I'll be using are. Hopefully I have real progress to report next weekend. Even if it means working during a mostly sunny mid 60's day or two :(

Jmnielsen

Reaction score
Visit site
Thought i would throw this here, since many people will now want to fab their own exhaust. I've got this sitting around someone can have for free if they pay shipping.

6ca72a23-1daf-d94c.jpg

phranK2k11

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm headed out to the shop to do a little bit of fab work on the exhaust project soon as I post this and log out. After lots of measuring and brainstorming I came up with an idea for a "Y" pipe....well in this case it'll be a "T" pipe. A Y would take up lots of room and result in removing the under seat storage (I laugh at that every time I say it) tray. With the inlet/outlet being 2 1/4 i would have to reduce it down then connect the Y and that would take too much space. I'm going to cap off the existing inlet and put a short length of pipe between them with a centered connection that will then bend down and connect to the cat pipe.

A quick illustration of my plan.
View attachment 41317
Left is the supplied "h" pipe that comes with aftermarket kits.
Right is the "T" pipe I'm planning to build.

phranK2k11

Reaction score
Visit site
Just got home....I took the scenic rout home and turned a 35 mile trip into 130 miles :cheer: Anyway, here are a few pics of progress made today.
View attachment 41328
Used a 1 3/4" hole saw to cut the holes.

View attachment 41329
Three holes cut.

View attachment 41330
Very tight fit.

View attachment 41331
The green colored areas are to be removed before final assembly.

View attachment 41332
The 2 1/4" inlets will be capped off.

View attachment 41333
A little bit of bending and welding and it'll be ready to paint.

Tomorrow is Easter so no progress will be made until Monday after work. I am hoping to get it all welded up and maybe another sound test! :rockon:
View attachment 41334
This view, and sunny 70F was totally worth 100 extra miles :D

phranK2k11

Reaction score
Visit site
I didn't scrap the idea, just been real busy!

I got it all together just need some grinding/sanding/painting. In it's current shape it sounds amazing but is not of sell-able quality yet. Here are a few pics....dont be too hard on me for the ugly welding, it was the first time I've ever welded. And after some time with a grinder I'll have it all cleaned up anyway.

While I was hard at work my buddy dug through my pack and found my camera...
View attachment 41862

It aint pretty but holds good.
View attachment 41863

With the plate on to it uses the stock mounting points.
View attachment 41864

Welded nuts onto the back like the factory piece.
View attachment 41865

After I got it all together I put it on the bike and left it for 2 weeks :) it sounds great!!! I am going to get it finished then get some fly by vids stock vs. mod and post em.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Looks like progress is underway. . . . :thumbup:

I might suggest that you find a way to get some of that rubber isolation back in there like the factory had on their install or the vibes might be overwhelming. Perhaps if its a keeper just cut it off the OEM muffler??

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
With regards to your welding, I have two things that spring immediately to mind.

1. Three letters that are essential. PPE. Gloves, apron and boots should be mandatory - and you're getting welding burn all over your non-covered skin.

I wish you luck, but it a spark catches that fabric shirt alight, or goes between the shirt and your skin, this project will come to a very premature end.

Also, another thing to consider by a self-confessed welding n00b, is that with a mig, you can get a nice looking weld with little strength. Must ensure technique and amperage/speed are adequate for good penetration. (not too much of a concern due to the thickness of the material you're welding, but any thicker tabs won't have enough heat in them etc)

I'm glad it's all going well, but I shuddered at that pic of you with no PPE....

Cheers,
Rick

Fishwiz4

Reaction score
Visit site
With regards to your welding, I have two things that spring immediately to mind.

1. Three letters that are essential. PPE. Gloves, apron and boots should be mandatory - and you're getting welding burn all over your non-covered skin.

I wish you luck, but it a spark catches that fabric shirt alight, or goes between the shirt and your skin, this project will come to a very premature end.

Also, another thing to consider by a self-confessed welding n00b, is that with a mig, you can get a nice looking weld with little strength. Must ensure technique and amperage/speed are adequate for good penetration. (not too much of a concern due to the thickness of the material you're welding, but any thicker tabs won't have enough heat in them etc)

I'm glad it's all going well, but I shuddered at that pic of you with no PPE....

Cheers,
Rick

I agree completely.... But I had to laugh because you sound just like my boss at work. I work in agriculture research under a very large parent company and safety is I huge deal. I like it and hate it simultaneously every day.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

phranK2k11

Reaction score
Visit site
FinalImpact, The bracket on the top mimics the factory bit on the muffler and is bolted through the provided rubber insulators on the separate bracket, translating to same as stock vibes. I'll get a clear pic of this on the next/final assembly.

mave2911, Your advice is very good and a few days late! Luckily I didn't burst into flames but I did catch a ember to the top of my head. And if this "welding burn" is similar to a sunburn, I think I ended up with a case of that too. My arms felt like I was coming off a bad sunburn for about 3 days.
PPE = Personal Protective Equipment for everyone who doesn't know....I had to look it up too.

Fishwiz4, The factory I work at is quite small and my boss is more of a "I don't care how you get it done, just get it done" type.

A paint job, a proper exhaust clamp, a few videos and it'll be done.

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
And if this "welding burn" is similar to a sunburn, I think I ended up with a case of that too. My arms felt like I was coming off a bad sunburn for about 3 days.

Exactly that, my good sir.

The UV output, especially close up is many times worse then the sun.

The instances of skin cancer are much, much higher because you're basically irradiating areas of non-protected skin with intense UV.

I'm glad my advice helped you better protect yourself. Wear drill pants (or jeans) full gauntlet leather gloves, a heavy leather apron, full length sleeved drill cotton shirt (FFS don't use polyester!) and good leather boots (steel cap preferably) with thick rubber soles.

Also, be aware that anybody could come around the corner and accidentally get a welding flash - you're wearing a helmet, but not everyone else will be. (and they could be blinded with intense, excruciating pain for days, weeks or longer)

If it's a possibility, try to put a curtain or old bedsheet across doorways or around the work area to better protect bystanders/family members.

Cheers,
Rick

Last edited:

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
Someone would have to be staring at him welding for there eyes to get burnt. Just glancing at it for a second or 2 isn't enough time to get burnt. Personally I think a whole apron and all that is a little over kill, wearing a good welding jacket, gloves, and hood with a leather chin flap has served me well over the years. If I'm just doing some quick welds most of the time I don't bother putting on the jacket. Also the hood I wear has a leather chin flap on it because believe it or not if you do a lot of welding while wearing a light colored shirt, white being the worst, the light can and will reflect off your shirt and burn your face and in rare cases burn your eyes as well.

But the exhaust is coming along great!!! I can't wait to see and hear the final product!!!

red_rock_beetle

Reaction score
Visit site
i have been welding science i was 14, PPE is a must unless you want a quick sun burn with a side of cancer. i too am guilty of tacking without wearing gloves or a welding jacket:spank: after a few glowing buckshot hit my arm it reminds me real quick!

exhaust is looking good! cant wait to be able to buy one:D

chimneydoc

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I have a question to put to the floor. First I'm no mechanic, I would be a bit concerned that if you put a T section instead of a Y could you get a bit of unwanted back pressure that you could damage your valves ? My wife calls my bike the other woman ( I would have to agree with her ). If I damaged my engine with a mod like this it would have to sit for a while untill I could afford to fix her.

Thanks Doc

Shockwave

Reaction score
Visit site
That is awesome, it facinates me to see guys fabricating thier own stuff. really makes me want to go buy a welder :)

looking great so far.