Gold Wings haul A$$

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
Sooo while out for a few days on the Feejer with a few riding buddies up in the Trinity Nat. Forest. we came up behind a Wing fully loaded behind a slow car. Understand we were making time doing double posted limit in twisty stuff (if corner is posted 30mph we were double that). Thinking once we pass the wing that would be the end of him-wrong! This old boy was from South Carolina and let me tell you he could ride.
The only time he wasn't on my tail is when we were cornering above 70mph but as soon as the road straightened out a bit he was right there. We stopped for fuel and talked. He was about 65 and had a big old grin keeping up with us. I had heard the wing was quite good with the right rider, now I believe it. He said nothing better than passing sport bikes and leaving them in the dust. Ya just never know what the some riders can do. Old guys rock!

champion221elite

Reaction score
Visit site
I ride with a Gold Winger on occasion, and he's not afraid to roll this throttle right to the stop. Tight and twisty roads slow him down a little bit, but he still does quite well.

bmccrary

Touring Mod
Reaction score
Visit site
The gold wings are fast!

Rode with some guys on them here in Charlotte up to Asheville a month ago. They were nuts. One of them spun when shifting from second to third. Scared the poop out of me...

-bryan

oldfast007

Thread Killer
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Yup, guy I work with rides a big o'l black wing and can ride like heck. Just proves it's not the bike so much as the rider...

scottsst

Reaction score
Visit site
the person that tell's you a goldwing can haul the mail should be shown this youtube clip they will go out and buy one shortly after

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nrMQ3QwyPo]YouTube - deals gap on a goldwing/gl1800 by yellow wolf dragons tail[/ame]

bmccrary

Touring Mod
Reaction score
Visit site
Yea, Yellow Wolf is nuts...

I think he actually completed a SS1000 making repeated passes on The Gap. He faught it with the IBA because that is clearly against the rules for an IBA ride. But oh well.

-bryan

rbesr

Reaction score
Visit site
Never underestimate an old fart on a touring bike at the Dragon. Many just cruise through the Dragon. Some of us still like to play, though. I love the look on sportbike riders faces when they get passed by a gray-haired geezer on a silver Venture, and hear the stereo blaring some old Jimi Hendrix.

rbesr

Reaction score
Visit site
From what I've been told, Yellow Wolf has more tied up in handling and performance mods to his Wing than what our FZ's cost. The bike chasing him in some of his videos is a Wing, also.

Bruce McCrary

RDY2GO!
Reaction score
rdytogo.blogspot.com
The sound you hear is the floorboards of the 'Wing in the back dragging.

The only mods on 'wolfs bike that I've heard anyone talk about are a Progressive shock and fork spring mod. To be honest the bike really doesn't need much done to it in order to be ridden like that. They are amazing machines.

When I first got in the business you could count the number of times and miles I had ridden a bike on pavement on one hand. My boss knew this and hired me for my off road expertise, but also knew I'd have to get familiar with the on road side of things quickly. We did a huge 'wing business at that shop so he chose that segment to get me started.

We took a 1988 GL1500 with 155,000 miles on trade (this was in 1999) and he insisted I take it to the mountains one week-end. Reluctantly, I did. When I first got on the bike I was muttering under my breath "I can't believe he's making me ride this wore out truck of a motorcycle..." Within 5 miles I was in love. NO single motorcycle has ever impressed me as much as that bike did that day.

And the 1800's have power, brakes, suspension and handling all over the 1500's!

Bruce