Goop and the Speed Triple!

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Oh, now for some pipes.

Mike has these - they LOOK and SOUND awesome :rockon: They make a change from seeing a Triumph with Arrows - EVERYONE in Perth was a Trumpy has Arrows - nice pipe, but I prefer individuality :D

SC-PROJECT EXHAUST SYSTEM

Oh, and this is the site to get all your carbon bits etc from - Mike has bought a lot of gear from them

British Customs

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Oh, now for some pipes.

Mike has these - they LOOK and SOUND awesome :rockon: They make a change from seeing a Triumph with Arrows - EVERYONE in Perth was a Trumpy has Arrows - nice pipe, but I prefer individuality :D

SC-PROJECT EXHAUST SYSTEM

Oh, and this is the site to get all your carbon bits etc from - Mike has bought a lot of gear from them

British Customs

Those SCs look great!

Hmmmm!!

triumph_speed_triple_1050_2011_sc_project_oval.jpg

Last edited:

rsw81

Keep it Kosher
Reaction score
Visit site
Ha! That didn't take Cliff long to put these pics up! :)

I got a lot to learn on this beast. The torque is just insane...but soooo fun!

And yes, need to watch the speed. You get to 60 mph faster than you can say "sixty miles per hour". ;)

The short wheel base is going to need some getting used to. The suspension is very stiff compared to the FZ6.

My other good news is that my wife is pregnant! It will be our first :D So this bike is my last selfish splurge!

Congrats on both parts Bryan! I know you've been pining over that Triumph for a long time; glad to hear that you finally got the deal you were waiting for. Also, nice work on the baby making!

turbid

Reaction score
Visit site
bryan congrats on the expansion of your family. however not for the speed triple. why you may ask? because you sold the fz6 and 2 because i want one of those! ( i want a lot of things and bikes but im always short on money!)

only joking. congrats on the bike it sure is a sweet ride.. i've seen some locally in the flesh and i couldnt take my eyes off that swingarm! and their owners rave about their capabilities!

Goop

Chips & Dip
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
My impression so far after a few hundred miles...awesome! :thumbup: We're getting along well and getting to know each other.

- Very fun to exploit the torque on this thing. It leaps across intersections and passing is effortless. It moves and really wants to wheelie when you are enthusiastic with the throttle.

- Sounds like nothing else. A low grunt and rumble. Women swoon, children cry, and guys look at you with envy. :D

- There's no gas gauge. I wish it had one. But with the combination of the trip odometer and the real-time and average MPG computer, I'll deal. I'm getting about 38 MPG.

- Speaking of gas....it loves gas, gulp gulp gulp. It requires 89 octane or higher. Has full synthetic oil from the get-go.

- After you shut the bike off, about 20 seconds later you hear this subtle fax machine/modem handshake sound. Turns out this is the idle air control valve resetting itself. I thought it was sending data back to the factory or something! ;) There is no idle screw to adjust the idle. It's all done by the EMS.

- The OEM tires are Metzler Sportec M3. They are surprisingly good tires so far for OEM's.

- Had one issue with starting. One morning I went out and tried to start it an all I got was a click. The gauge cluster would come on, then once I would hit the starter, all power was gone. With the help of some Triumph forum members, it was simply a loose ground terminal.

- Frame sliders...There are two pairs mount points where you can put them, so you ideally need 4 sliders total. :eek:

I'm still well in the run-in period. At 500 miles it goes in for its first maintenance, then it's good until 5000 miles.

Last edited:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Can't wait to hit a ride soon! We could catch an after work spin not to far from home! Let me know if you can do it. :D

rsw81

Keep it Kosher
Reaction score
Visit site
My impression so far after a few hundred miles...awesome! :thumbup: We're getting along well and getting to know each other.

- Very fun to exploit the torque on this thing. It leaps across intersections and passing is effortless. It moves and really wants to wheelie when you are enthusiastic with the throttle.

- Sounds like nothing else. A low grunt and rumble. Women swoon, children cry, and guys look at you with envy. :D

- There's no gas gauge. I wish it had one. But with the combination of the trip odometer and the real-time and average MPG computer, I'll deal. I'm getting about 38 MPG.

- Speaking of gas....it loves gas, gulp gulp gulp. It requires 89 octane or higher. Has full synthetic oil from the get-go.

- After you shut the bike off, about 20 seconds later you hear this subtle fax machine/modem handshake sound. Turns out this is the idle air control valve resetting itself. I thought it was sending data back to the factory or something! ;) There is no idle screw to adjust the idle. It's all done by the EMS.

- The OEM tires are Metzler Sportec M3. They are surprisingly good tires so far for OEM's.

- Had one issue with starting. One morning I went out and tried to start it an all I got was a click. The gauge cluster would come on, then once I would hit the starter, all power was gone. With the help of some Triumph forum members, it was simply a loose ground terminal.

- Frame sliders...There are two pairs mount points where you can put them, so you ideally need 4 sliders total. :eek:

I'm still well in the run-in period. At 500 miles it goes in for its first maintenance, then it's good until 5000 miles.

Don't trust the computer on mpg, it's rarely accurate. I wish mine had a gas gauge too, but you get used to just monitoring the odometer instead and knowing within a few miles when the light will turn on. I'm typically getting 42-45mpg, so 38 on the 1050 isn't too bad!

Glad you're enjoying the new toy. Be careful with that torque; it'll get you into trouble bro.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
- After you shut the bike off, about 20 seconds later you hear this subtle fax machine/modem handshake sound.

They're watching you!

How's the shifting so far? The bike I demo'd.. I think it was a 2010.. would NOT go into neutral while the engine was running.

rsw81

Keep it Kosher
Reaction score
Visit site
They're watching you!

How's the shifting so far? The bike I demo'd.. I think it was a 2010.. would NOT go into neutral while the engine was running.

I don't know about the Speed, but the Street had a shifter linkage recall. I never had any trouble finding neutral on mine, but it would get stuck in a gear while coming to a stop and trying to downshift. Got that all buttoned up this week and shifts like a dream now.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I don't know about the Speed, but the Street had a shifter linkage recall. I never had any trouble finding neutral on mine, but it would get stuck in a gear while coming to a stop and trying to downshift. Got that all buttoned up this week and shifts like a dream now.

It wasn't that neutral could not be found.. it just would NOT go out of 1st when fully stopped. Turn the engine off and it would slide right up into neutral effortlessly.. weird.

rsw81

Keep it Kosher
Reaction score
Visit site
It wasn't that neutral could not be found.. it just would NOT go out of 1st when fully stopped. Turn the engine off and it would slide right up into neutral effortlessly.. weird.

That is very weird... couldn't explain that. No other Speed I've ridden has had that problem.

BTW, I sat on the new Speed yesterday at the dealership. They did make the frame a bit narrower, making it easier to reach the ground. But I still don't care for the new headlights, even in person, and they made the gas tank plastic instead of metal! I know it saves weight, but it feels so cheap and flimsy in comparison and you can't mount a magnetic tank bang to it.:spank: