GPS Reviews

Fazerbl

Reaction score
Visit site
Re: Need power for my GPS

Hi Fred, could explain to me how to connect two bare wires in a fuse box? Did you remove a fuse and connect in parallel on a circuit? I am a newbie!!!

Thanks.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Did you check Powerlet :: The 2007 Powerlet Product Catalog ?

This site should have all you need :) I`ll do something similar myself soon and will post the details if no one does it before me.
Hey mate, Grommit
Found me an excellent power source ao e-bay. £10.00. It has a weather proof cap and is excellent value for money.
Just check Grommits posts and you will
Nelly

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Here are the pics of my £6.00 Maplins mount and the modified Mio housing.
I have stuck a padded waterproof wound dressing on it to stop it scratching
my TOM TOM.
The other pictures are of the external power source and where I have temporarily mounted it.
Finally the GPS in situ. I am looking for a better retaining option other than the elastic band. So any suggestions would be very welcome.

Nel

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry here are the pictures of the external power and where I have situated it. I will drill through one of the side pods and also hide the cable.
The other picture is of the ABS packaging. It rained on the way home and it was fine.
I would really like to have the night time maps availible in the day (the unit switches antomatically in low light) as they have much better clarity in bright conditions. I used a single ear phone to hear the verbal instructions. However, at 30mph they are still very clear.
Still looking for the best way to secure it to the mount. Do any of you guys rate the suction holder? Mine comes off constently with hard riding.

Nelly

driver145

Reaction score
Visit site

You could get a small flag connector and insert it into the fuse panel on top of the battery. There is already a flag connector in the slot I speak of, but another small one will fit in there with it. That is the slot I have my Radar Detector and an external speaker wired to. The bottom left slot only comes on when the ignition is switched to ON. The top left one on my bike is an empty slot, but it is always on (even when the ignition is off).

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpmhxSQuwws"]YouTube - RD on FZ6[/ame]

Last edited:

Wavex

Lazy Mod :D
Reaction score
Visit site
:rockon: !!!!!!!!! Everything got here today....

The bluetooth works flawlessly, and the Jabra receiver will fit perfectly inside the helmet, keeping access to the play/pause etc buttons (using left hand thumb).

The Jabra earphones even fit with my helmet, which I did not expect. Not sure if the max volume will be sufficient using them, so I`ll try my own sony too (which I forgot at work doh)...

The gps is surprisingly light... quality seems great and all the stuff was included.

A great bd present and my wife told me she`ll get me the 16gb SD card too woohooo!

Can`t wait to play with the route tracking/recording feature.

2384452808_67b30f4762_o.jpg

2384452640_fe4e320a2e_o.jpg

2384435574_4bfbb0137e_o.jpg

2384435470_bf7a5a7836_b.jpg

OneTrack

Reaction score
Visit site
Wavex: I've been looking for a Bluetooth receiver for my TomTom GO 720, and your Jabra unit is exactly what I was visualizing but couldn't find....thanks!
You mentioned that the Jabra-supplied earbuds stay in when you "install" your helmet....what brand helmet do you have?
I've got a RAM handlebar mount on order, so I should have all the bits ready for installation on my bike in a few days. I'll post a report here with pics once it's complete.

OneTrack

Reaction score
Visit site
:Lurking:

I have a Magellen Maestro in my Subaru. Works pretty good but I need to update it because of all the construction around here. I just wouldnt trust it in the rain and I dont have a good bike to hook it up to yet...:(:(

The newly redesigned 2009 Subaru Forester is available with an optional Navigation System.
End of commercial.:D
The TomTom GO 720 (which I have) seems to be the best value "cross-over" GPS for cars and bikes if you don't want to spend the big bucks on a dedicated bike GPS like the Rider or Zumo. I haven't "weather tested" mine yet on the bike, but I'm pretty sure it'll need protection from rain.
I'll figure that one out.

Fazerbl

Reaction score
Visit site

Hi, thanks everyone for the fast answers.

Couple more questions, Do I have to connect the red and the black wire into the slot or only the red one and the black one goes directly on the black pole of the battery?

Fazerbl

Last edited:

steveindenmark

Older Member
Reaction score
Visit site

You could get a small flag connector and insert it into the fuse panel on top of the battery. There is already a flag connector in the slot I speak of, but another small one will fit in there with it. That is the slot I have my Radar Detector and an external speaker wired to. The bottom left slot only comes on when the ignition is switched to ON. The top left one on my bike is an empty slot, but it is always on (even when the ignition is off).

YouTube - RD on FZ6

Could you explain this in a bit more detail with pics if possible??

I do not know what a flag connector is.

Steve

Wavex

Reaction score
Visit site
Wavex: I've been looking for a Bluetooth receiver for my TomTom GO 720, and your Jabra unit is exactly what I was visualizing but couldn't find....thanks!
You mentioned that the Jabra-supplied earbuds stay in when you "install" your helmet....what brand helmet do you have?
I've got a RAM handlebar mount on order, so I should have all the bits ready for installation on my bike in a few days. I'll post a report here with pics once it's complete.

Ok I tested the setup this morning on my way to work and everything worked great. Even the sound was loud enough @ 80mph on the highway. The only little issue I seem to have is that the sound skips for a 1/10 of a second every 2-3 minutes. It's definitely the bluetooth connection skipping, but not sure if it`s the GPS or Jabra receiver... anyway, I really don`t care for my use, but I thought I`d let everyone know.

Yeah the earphones are fine with my helmet, when putting it on and taking it off.... I have a Shoei RF1000, which fits quite tightly on my head.

Looking forward to reading your review. :)

Wavex

Reaction score
Visit site
I turn the sound off usually when I ride and just glance at the gps when needed.

Or you could use a bluetooth earphones or regular earphones, if you prefer to listen to directions to avoid taking your eyes off the road.

OneTrack

Reaction score
Visit site
Ok I tested the setup this morning on my way to work and everything worked great. Even the sound was loud enough @ 80mph on the highway. The only little issue I seem to have is that the sound skips for a 1/10 of a second every 2-3 minutes. It's definitely the bluetooth connection skipping, but not sure if it`s the GPS or Jabra receiver... anyway, I really don`t care for my use, but I thought I`d let everyone know.

Yeah the earphones are fine with my helmet, when putting it on and taking it off.... I have a Shoei RF1000, which fits quite tightly on my head.

Looking forward to reading your review. :)

Glad to hear that your Bluetooth/GPs system is working well enough to be acceptable!
I also have an RF1000, but I am going to try out the flat "pad" speakers that attach to the inside of my helmet as well as Sony earbuds to see which works best. I couldn't locate a Jabra BT3030 today in any of the usual stores, they only had the BT320s, which is similar but with fewer features on the receiver. Retail in Canada is $99. Online from the US is $49.
Some things never change.

Wavex

Reaction score
Visit site
heh sorry to hear man...

I hacked my gps today to get all kinds of additional PDA applications... word, excel, pdf...etc its windows ce. more details here:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJzhakF_VlI"]YouTube - mio c520 - stopword hack 2.0b1[/ame]

The media player seems to play movies without any lag at all (NOT the case on the normal player...).

2386257667_4cbff20502_b.jpg

2387088578_45082665fb_b.jpg

2386257853_95030c57e1_o.jpg

jniedermeyer

6 Time SuperBowl Champs
Reaction score
Visit site
this is the tomtom one 3rd edition. only had it a week but so far i like it. used it in my car with the suction cup and bought a mount for the bike from ebay. $160 pretty much anywhere. the only reason i picked tomtom over garmin or magellan was the online support. i installed 2 waterproof cigarette lighter adapters hidden under the right fairing.

Last edited:

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
this is the tomtom one 3rd edition. only had it a week but so far i like it. used it in my car with the suction cup and bought a mount for the bike from ebay. $160 pretty much anywhere. the only reason i picked tomtom over garmin or magellan was the online support. i installed 2 waterproof cigarette lighter adapters hidden under the right fairing.
Where did you get the mount from mate?

Nel

killernoodle

Making stuff
Reaction score
Visit site

I connected a weatherproof 12v socket screwed to the underseat glove box to the signal fuse. That way, it is switched to be on only when the bike is on, and if that fuse shorts out, I only lose turn signals.

So far, it has worked flawlessly.

Wavex

Reaction score
Visit site
Got power!

Powerlet :: Kits

- Lift the tank up,
- unscrew the battery terminals,
- insert power lugs from the powerlet cables (black '-' and red '+')
- screw terminals back on battery (used ziptie to lift up the square PITA bolts......),
- hide wire between airbox and frame, all the way to underseat compartment,
- plug "cigarette socket power adapter to USB" cable (came with my Mio) into powerlet cigarette socket, & anchor under seat,
- run back wire from power/USB cable back to front of tank,
- drop tank

Power for GPS and my cellphone!

2397347557_c1792930b4_b.jpg

2398179676_0436cb4d6b_b.jpg