GPS Reviews

mstewar1

hot diggity
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Dumb question here.

I notice that most folks mount gps units on a dedicated mount. I presume that this is for reasons of security, stability, and visibility.

My question is this, has anyone just put one in the clear map holder thingy on a tank bag? The reason I fear this is a dumb question is that I know most computer-type devices shouldn't be around powerful magnets, such as you would find in a magnetic tank bag, as that'll wreak havoc on memory storage media.

grommit

...M
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Dumb question here.

I notice that most folks mount gps units on a dedicated mount. I presume that this is for reasons of security, stability, and visibility.

My question is this, has anyone just put one in the clear map holder thingy on a tank bag? The reason I fear this is a dumb question is that I know most computer-type devices shouldn't be around powerful magnets, such as you would find in a magnetic tank bag, as that'll wreak havoc on memory storage media.

I put my phone and GPS puck in a magnetic tank bag. never had any problems.

necrotimus

Stop looking at my title!
Reaction score
Visit site
Most modern electronics are electronically shielded enough that magnets will not effect them. In fact some cell phone cases sold by the phone companies have magnetic closures. Also most modern displays are not effected by the magnets.

I have verizon and have just started using vz navigator with a blue tooth headset.

bard

Secret Soi Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
I use a Garmin 60 cx, with RAM mount which works excellent.

Reason for me going with the Garmin is they have maps from every country in the world, something TomTom and others still do not have, so in Asia such as Thailand Garmin is the best/only solution.

The 60 cx has realistically 2 full days of battery usage, waterproof, easy to use buttons while riding, fits in your pocket when you stop for a snack, all in all a great product. I bought it from recommendations from the touring experts in Thailand who is GT-Rider (Golden Triangle Rider) and have never ever regretted the buy, got it refurbished from ebay for 207 US$.

Cheers Bard

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Time to dredge up this thread again. :D

Has anyone bought, used and would like to comment on the new TomTom Rider 2? I'm looking at this one along with the Zumo 550 as they both compare in features. This would be tied to the Scala Q2 Multiset and my phone. I know it comes with the Scala headset, but I want to Q2 set for the distance it offers. I'd likely sell the regular Scala BT headset right out of the box.

I'm wondering if the price difference between these two makes the Zumo worth the big difference. The biggest feature being the MP3 player, but I don't listen to music while riding. Personal choice. :D

Thanks all!!

steveindenmark

Older Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Got power!

Powerlet :: Kits

- Lift the tank up,
- unscrew the battery terminals,
- insert power lugs from the powerlet cables (black '-' and red '+')
- screw terminals back on battery (used ziptie to lift up the square PITA bolts......),
- hide wire between airbox and frame, all the way to underseat compartment,
- plug "cigarette socket power adapter to USB" cable (came with my Mio) into powerlet cigarette socket, & anchor under seat,
- run back wire from power/USB cable back to front of tank,
- drop tank

Power for GPS and my cellphone!

2397347557_c1792930b4_b.jpg

2398179676_0436cb4d6b_b.jpg

This is the simple way BUT do you have a fuse before the power hits your GPS because I fried my GPS on the Intruder by doing it this way.

Steve

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Time to dredge up this thread again. :D

Has anyone bought, used and would like to comment on the new TomTom Rider 2? I'm looking at this one along with the Zumo 550 as they both compare in features..........

I'm wondering if the price difference between these two makes the Zumo worth the big difference. The biggest feature being the MP3 player, but I don't listen to music while riding. Personal choice. :D

Thanks all!!

Eric I don't know much about the tomtom rider 2 but I have the Zumo 500.

Whilst looking into GPS's a while back the main differences were that the garmin plots a route based on waypoints, whereas tomtom plots a route based on via points. The Garmin can use an endless (or a very high number of) waypoints to map a route whereas a Tomtom is limited to a certain number of via points, which quite often means that a longer route has to be split down into smaller routes (to include enough via points).

Another neat feature of the zumo is tracklog, you can basically record the route you have ridden so you can download it when you get home. You can also exchange routes (with another garmin user) via bluetooth.

The route software supplied with the Garmin (mapsource) is said to be much better than that supplied with tomtom, that is why many people use the freeware TYRE program to plan a route for a tomtom. I have used the garmin software and I find it a good program.
Because the garmin works on waypoints (coordinates) it is also handy for sailing, cycling or hiking (as long as you have a spare battery or use it sparingly through out the day, Tip, don't use bluetooth as this uses more power). Although you officially have to buy seperate maps for these activities you can also use a previously "recorded" tracklog (to follow a cyclepath for example.)

My wife has a standard tomtom for in the car and I must say I find it easy to use and I find the information given slightly easier to follow than the Garmin. In Holland Tomtom has been tested as the best GPS system to get you from A to B, and give you the best instructions to do it. The Garmin is the most versatile allowing you to plan the route exactly how you want to.

I may have a few things wrong as I have never used a Tomtom rider 2 (anybody please correct me if I'm wrong), but this is the way I understood it.

BTW I use the Plantronics pulsar 260 headset. It seems to work good, the mic is tucked away when in use but I don't want to call when riding anyway. The in ear buds aren't too bad but you have to be careful putting your helmet on, they don't really reduce much background noise. The headset simply plugs onto the bluetooth set so you can easily change it for another one if you want. I realise this is no good for talking to your passenger, but I rarely carry a passenger.

Last edited:

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks Martin! My first choice is the Zumo 550 but it all depends on what my bonus amout is. I have to buy the new trailer first, then the Scala Q2 Multiset then, if I have enough left over to get the Zumo, I will but the difference in price is $250 and the large missing feature of the TomTom is MP3 playback. I do know the TomTom Rider 2 has fixed some of the shortcomings you've mentioned. But I also know that motorcyclists prefer the Zumo so I'm hoping the bonus is enough to get the better unit. :D I really appreciate your imput! Thanks!!

Here's a link to the new TomTom Features: http://www.tomtom.com/products/features.php?ID=354&Category=1&Lid=4

TomTom by default has a lot of the features disabled to keep the screen glove/motorcycle friendly. But you can enable them.

Zumo has a specific motorcycle mode though, the lock feature that requires the PIN or taken to a secure "unlock" area you define. It also has the "Need Gas" feature and auto-routes when it knows you are low on fuel. And, while not so important for me, it has MP3 and allows outgoing calls while moving. TomTom allows outgoing when stopped only.

It comes down to money and I might have to settle for second best. :(

rider1a

Reaction score
Visit site
I use a Garmin 60 cx, with RAM mount which works excellent.

Reason for me going with the Garmin is they have maps from every country in the world, something TomTom and others still do not have, so in Asia such as Thailand Garmin is the best/only solution.

The 60 cx has realistically 2 full days of battery usage, waterproof, easy to use buttons while riding, fits in your pocket when you stop for a snack, all in all a great product. I bought it from recommendations from the touring experts in Thailand who is GT-Rider (Golden Triangle Rider) and have never ever regretted the buy, got it refurbished from ebay for 207 US$.

Cheers Bard

+1

I also use the Garmin 60 Cx (w/RAM mounts), mainly for it's ability to work up to 20 hours on two AA batteries, waterproof, Mini SD memory expansion for unlimited storage, shockproof, small, able to be used for multiple outdoor activities including hiking, mountain biking (with special TOPO maps for terrain contour display) and of course motorcycling.

Due to it's size, the screen may be a bit too small for some people wanting a large GPS display screen. That to me is the only negative. Oh, it does not have a MP3 player for those wanting to listen to:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTqsln_RVCg"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTqsln_RVCg[/ame]

Fred

specialk

Reaction score
Visit site
does the garmin 60 cx or csx have bluetooth? how do you know when to turn? are you forced to stare at the screen?

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
There's a new Zumo 660 that's just waiting for FCC OK to release for sale. You might check it out https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=135&pID=15000 and decide to be somewhat patient (I know it's hard when you've decided on a new toy...).

I can't justify spending over $800 for a GPS when you can get one for $100 that does almost the same thing. Just because it's motorcycle specific, is it worth another $700?

I just picked up a new Garmin Nuvi 1200 for $105 at Best Buy and just bought there extended warranty for another $15 just in case anything happens due to vibration, heat exposure, moisture, etc.

Smersh

The Pillaging Tatar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
TomTom Rider 2 Rant

I bought Rider II when I got my KLR 650 in 2008. Since then, i've put 6000 miles on the Tractor, most of the time Rider was mounted on it. I also drove about 5k miles in my car using the GPS.
To summarize, I would love to use this GPS, it pretty much met all of my needs, but I am forced (by TomTom, believe it or not) to look elsewhere.

Here is what i like about it:

1) Made like a tank - i dropped it multiple times from about 4 feet onto asphalt - no problems.

2) Interface - i really like TomTom interface - very intuitive

3) Versatility - can mount it on the bike, can mount it in the car

4) Bright screen - never had a problem seeing it on the sunniest of the days

5) Waterproof - This GPS laughs at rain

Now, the problems (as they showed in chronological order):

1) Power button - when out of the cradle/mount, you can turn off the unit normally, but good luck trying to power it up by pressing the power button. Maybe there is a trick to it, but i havent found it - i just plug it into the power-delivering cradle, and it fires up.

2) Bluetooth/Phone - the unit cowardly refused to work with my blackberry storm. I cannot hear them, they cannot hear me. Not a biggie for me - most of the stuff you hear under my helmet is "Wwwwweeeeeee" and "Yaaaaahoooo" - i doubt somebody is very interested in that.

3) Bluetooth/Directions - after a while (about an hour) voice directions stop coming (this does not happen when using the unit in the car), as if battery on headset has died. If you restart the unit, everything is back to normal. After a while i just stopped carrying the headphone.

4) Freezing - rarely, maybe once every three months or so, the unit needs to be reset. Once I had it completely stuck, where i had to connect it to computer and reset the software. According to Murphy's Law it happens exactly when you need to jump on the bike and go.

5) And of course, the main reason why I have beef with this GPS:
My bike got stolen with the original mount on it. There is a RAM mount that you can buy, BUT it does not have the "shoe" (that's the actual piece onto which the GPS unit is mounted).

I could try to use it on batteries and mounting it in my tank bag, or some universal mount, but #1 on this list prevents me from it - if you can't turn it on, it's not super-useful.:(

I could purchase an auto-mount (like the one I already have in my car), take it apart and then use that "shoe" (now, it would also talk loudly, as the auto-mount has a built-in speaker), but that runs about $200 on ebay. Alternatively, there are mounts that would require me to open the SD/power door, but that would compromise the weather-seal :(

Apparently, TomTom is going to release Rider III (aka UrbanRider), but they have yet to do so in US. I still hope that they do it soon and accessories will be compatible. Overall, however, I wonder why TomTom would not carry replacement parts, and read it as a sign of bad customer service. I am seriously considering switching to other brands, where mounts are a little more universal and do not require me to spend days researching trying to figure out a way to mount a $700 piece of equipment onto the bike. :spank:

I am thinking nuvi 550. I realize i dont need bluetooth for my riding.

PS: there are used units sold on e-bay. most of them dont include the shoe!!!

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
TomTom Rider 2 Rant

I bought Rider II when I got my KLR 650 in 2008. Since then, i've put 6000 miles on the Tractor, most of the time Rider was mounted on it. I also drove about 5k miles in my car using the GPS.
To summarize, I would love to use this GPS, it pretty much met all of my needs, but I am forced (by TomTom, believe it or not) to look elsewhere.
............Apparently, TomTom is going to release Rider III (aka UrbanRider), but they have yet to do so in US. I still hope that they do it soon and accessories will be compatible. Overall, however, I wonder why TomTom would not carry replacement parts, and read it as a sign of bad customer service. I am seriously considering switching to other brands, where mounts are a little more universal and do not require me to spend days researching trying to figure out a way to mount a $700 piece of equipment onto the bike. :spank:

I am thinking nuvi 550. I realize i dont need bluetooth for my riding.

PS: there are used units sold on e-bay. most of them dont include the shoe!!!

This sucks big time, I came across several similar request on for sale/wanted sites, I hope for you that tomtoms new mount is the same as the old one.

Thanks for the review :thumbup:

DavidG-757

Reaction score
Visit site
i have a garmin nuvi and it works just fine minus the battery life but im working on fixing that by getting it hard wired to my battery. so this review is on the ram mount i bought to hold it. i went with the aqua box in preparation for the rain that seems to show up when i go out. seems to work great in dim light such as dusk dawn and of course night. during the day though you have to look hard to see through the water proof clear plastic. tried to save and get a regular gps but i may have to just get a water proof gps and regualr mount.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I am now using Nokia Ovi maps on my E72.
Advantages:

Its a free app.
Updated regularly.
Good POI.
Very portable.
Great battery life.

Cons:
Small screen

Nelly