Half a tank in 45 miles!!

TripNip

Men of Mayhem
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm looking at the display, but it's definatly getting that because I have to fill up everytime on the way home. (90 miles)

@Fizzer6

When you say that, I dont get 150 to a tank, and I didnt go above 90. Admittedly sat at about 80-88

Smersh

The Pillaging Tatar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
sorry to hear this, man - this definitely sounds like half the mpgs you should be getting. Does the engine feel underpowered? I'm no expert, but maybe cylinder misfiring? i'd check spark plugs and wires.
Also, call me a complete idiot, but: any possibility of a leak?

When did you notice this first?

Randomchaos

Flaming Hot Doughnut
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Try dropping your speed some and see if that changes the MPG much. Check for fuel leaks in the lines and around the tank. How exactly are you filling the bike up and figuring up your mileage? Any sputters from the bike or odd sounds? About how much throttle would you say you are having to give it to keep it at the 80-88 speed? Checking the tire pressure is a good idea as stated earlier. I have an 07 with aftermarket exhaust and -1 tooth on the front and I get over 40MPG with a mix of city and interstate, almost 50MPG for mostly interstate. My bike has the fairing though and I run the speed between 70-75 on the interstate.

Bates121

B l a c k L e a d e r
Reaction score
Visit site
It could still be a TPS I had this issue of low mileage but it was also coupled with power issues and stalling. The tps passed the diagnostic replaced it anyway and it fixed the problem. Not sure how much the sensor is since this was on my 04 and they did it for free (once for the recall and the recall sensor was bad but still passed the diagnostic so they did it again).

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
88mph - 141 km/h - that's a fair speed to sit on the motorway :eek:

Done any mods to your bike lately? Are you sure your bike was full? Maybe there is a problem with your gauge? Fuel blockage somewhere? Faulty sensor? I'm lost.

Still, 141km/h? What's the speed limit on a motorway? We'd get caught in Perth - that's 40kms over the limit - couldn't ride 45 miles/73 kms on a freeway here at that speed and get away with it - bit jealous ;)

ohgood

Reaction score
Visit site
i tried the diagnostic mode thing, and had a problem:

after holding reset + select, turn key on = diaG (after about 8 seconds)

release reset+ select, punch select = nothing
punch+ hold select = nothing

start over, hold select = nothing

start over, hold reset = nothing

tried pressing select multiple times = nothing

otherwise, the display works fine, all the LCD sections 'test' when key is turned on.

what'd i do wrong ?

2005 fz6

C

CoolATIGuy

88mph - 141 km/h - that's a fair speed to sit on the motorway :eek:

Remember too the mph gauge diff - If it says 88 it's prob closer to 80 - when it read's 80 you're prob under 75.

I regularly get 47-50 mpg. I routinely go 180 miles before fillup, and that's like 3.5 gallons. I've gone 200 miles before and never had a low fuel indicator.

Parking brake on? ;)

Full Throttle

Reaction score
Visit site
Riding at 80+ I get about 42 MPG and about 170 miles to a tank.

When I ride like I'm supposed to, I get 52 MPG. I have Two Brother's exhaust.

Kazza

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Remember too the mph gauge diff - If it says 88 it's prob closer to 80 - when it read's 80 you're prob under 75.

I regularly get 47-50 mpg. I routinely go 180 miles before fillup, and that's like 3.5 gallons. I've gone 200 miles before and never had a low fuel indicator.

Parking brake on? ;)
Not with me - I've got a Speedo Healer :rockon:

going going.....gone

Reaction score
Visit site
i tried the diagnostic mode thing, and had a problem:

after holding reset + select, turn key on = diaG (after about 8 seconds)

release reset+ select, punch select = nothing
punch+ hold select = nothing

start over, hold select = nothing

start over, hold reset = nothing

tried pressing select multiple times = nothing

otherwise, the display works fine, all the LCD sections 'test' when key is turned on.

what'd i do wrong ?

2005 fz6

I just done the same an from what I gathered doing it

Enter select+reset keys on then wait

Release select+reset keys

Then I pressed ad held them again
So select+reset again

Into diag mode.

Right I did that and my reading were 16 closed - 96 open. is that ok it says above 97 open does mine need changing.

Dan

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=52.975100,-0.030124

Shortybiker

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi TripNip,

I have a FZ6 Fazer S2 09 model which I filled up on Wednesday, it had just gone over to the reserve on the LCD display. I brimed it by putting in 15.13 litres which cost £19.96 and I had done 173.3 miles which equtes to 52 MPG and I still had just under four litres left!

So yes yours does seem to be drinking it but as has already been said you are working it hard, is there another route to and from work you can use and see what it is like then.

Regards

AndyM

Kazza

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
A really strong headwind will also make you guzzle a lot more fuel. Not taking the P155 but you're sure you're in 6th?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I just done the same an from what I gathered doing it

Enter select+reset keys on then wait

Release select+reset keys

Then I pressed ad held them again
So select+reset again

Into diag mode.

Right I did that and my reading were 16 closed - 96 open. is that ok it says above 97 open does mine need changing.

Dan

---
I am here: Google Maps

Your readings are good. Did you turn the throttle slowly and observe the numbers? They should gradually change with no jumping. :D

novaks47

Yeah!
Reaction score
Visit site
Does the bike really use that much fuel, or is the gauge messed up? I ask because my gauge went through a spell where it would show I used half a tank in 30-45 miles, when in fact, my 47mpg mileage hadn't changed a bit! It's still slightly off, but better. Run it down to almost empty, then fill up and see how much it takes. If it's near empty, and only takes 3.5 or less gallons to fill, the gauge is messed up. Or, fill it when it shows half, and see how much it takes. If it takes a gallon or less, it's off. I often cruise at around 80mph myself, conditions providing of course, and I still get 45+mph. Then again I'm a light dude, so that helps. lol Just the same, you should definitely be getting better!

Last edited:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Does the bike really use that much fuel, or is the gauge messed up? I ask because my gauge went through a spell where it would show I used half a tank in 30-45 miles, when in fact, my 47mpg mileage hadn't changed a bit! It's still slightly off, but better. Run it down to almost empty, then fill up and see how much it takes. If it's near empty, and only takes 3.5 or less gallons to fill, the gauge is messed up. Or, fill it when it shows half, and see how much it takes. If it takes a gallon or less, it's off. I often cruise at around 80mph myself, conditions providing of course, and I still get 45+mph. Then again I'm a light dude, so that helps. lol Just the same, you should definitely be getting better!

Great idea! :rockon: I have no fuel gauge on my bike. I watch the ODO So I always know the mileage I'm getting.