Handlebar Upgrade Questions

RainCityRider

Reaction score
Visit site
As I prepare for my upcoming upgrade spree I wanted to get some feedback on handlebars.

I purchased the bike with 1" Pro Taper bar risers and aluminum handle bars, and I'm not a big fan.

handlebar shot.jpg

They may have fit the previous owner well but feel too wide for me. This problem may be compounded by my forks which will be getting replaced with R6 forks as soon as I find the time.

I would like to keep the HVMP bar ends if possible. I poked around for an FZ1 unit but haven't found anything yet. Are FZ1 bars the definite answer? Will the bar ends thread in?

RainCityRider

Reaction score
Visit site
Well of course they are on Partzilla.

I retract one question and throw out another. What grips would you be recommended that would play nice with my heated grips?

Looks like spider grips are a popular choice, how well would they stand up to the heat? Would FZ1 bars work well with my risers?

Last edited:

Ohendo

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The wrist angle on those bars looks perfect vs. the FZ6 bars. Even better than the FZ1 IMO. If it's just the bar width you have issues with, you can cut them and shorten them up. An inexpensive tubing cutter can get the job done quickly and accurately. It appears that you have plenty of room to slide the clutch/brake controls more towards the clamps. And you can keep the HVMP bar ends, just reattach them to the bars after cutting. (Unless they are the thread in type, not the compression fit type...then nevermind).

RainCityRider

Reaction score
Visit site
The width and distance from my torso force me to extend quite a bit.

I believe the bar ends are bolted on. Could be possible to trim them but I think something with more of an angle towards me might help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Those bar ends make the bike very wide! No hope of lane splitting there! :(

This just me but those bar ends seem overkill especially if they are there to reduce hamonic vibrations. Look to the ignition wires at the cap for the cure (source of the vib) and you can ditch the heavies...

As said above, a pipe cutter and file and you can trim those down. Grab a round file too so you can deburr the inside too.

Just so you know, stock Yamaha bars are threaded and the bar ends interchange on many models. Thus aftermarket bar ends are not easily fitted to oem bars without a lot of work.

RainCityRider

Reaction score
Visit site
Yes they are wide, very wide.I bought the bike with the bar ends. I would probably be fine without them.

I could move the grips inward and shorten the bars but the angle is as much a problem as the width. They aren't sporty and don't inspire control in the bike.

Like I said I'm sure my R6 forks will help. I'm curious if the bars are also part of the equation.

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Desktop comparison. . . FZ1 PN 2D1-26111-01-00

And for whomever i stool the photo from, thanks! Others feel free to add to this. . .:thumbup:

FZ6 vs FZ6R
CIMG6355.jpg

FZ6 vs Renthal 755
DSC_5024StockvsRenth.jpg

DSC_5023StockvsRenth.jpg

FZ6 vs FZ1
IMG_1177.jpg

FZ1 Vs Renthal 755
SSC_4788FZ1BarsVsRentahl.jpg

SSC_4788FZ1BarsVsRentahl.jpg

Perhaps that will help you....

IMG_20150518_145923_211.1_zpsydbiyrwi.jpg

No good top down pictures but these are FZ1 bars... pictures from past before all the silver was powder coated black.
attachment.php

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Perhaps that will help you....

IMG_20150518_145923_211.1_zpsydbiyrwi.jpg

No good top down pictures but these are FZ1 bars... pictures from past before all the silver was powder coated black.
attachment.php
Hi mate,
What diameter are the stock bars and what size thread is the bar ends?
My bars have a slight bend in them from a drop years ago and I want to get new bars.

Nelly

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
As I prepare for my upcoming upgrade spree I wanted to get some feedback on handlebars.

I purchased the bike with 1" Pro Taper bar risers and aluminum handle bars, and I'm not a big fan.

View attachment 67542

They may have fit the previous owner well but feel too wide for me. This problem may be compounded by my forks which will be getting replaced with R6 forks as soon as I find the time.

I would like to keep the HVMP bar ends if possible. I poked around for an FZ1 unit but haven't found anything yet. Are FZ1 bars the definite answer? Will the bar ends thread in?

67542d1485319798-handlebar-upgrade-questions-handlebar-shot-jpg

Comparison - FZ1 bars and yes, I got a ride in after being parked for 3mo! Gravel everywhere!

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

RainCityRider

Reaction score
Visit site
Wow thank you so much for all the shots! What made you choose the fz1 bars over the Renthals? How do you like your spider grips?

I definitely would like narrower, sporty bars. Think it would improve the whole experience. Maybe someone on the forum would like to trade...

Also, bar ends are the least of my splitting concerns:

27bae6ed9a6c74735e4c5c2ffe3dd809.jpg

Last edited:

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Our intended use of these bikes may vary a bit, I'm out to play and seldom commute anymore. That said I find the bars forward but not uncomfortable. They definitely have more sweep than yours. I'm 5'10" 32" inseam so the bike fits me pretty well.

SpidiGrips, I like them. They come in different densities, colors and all that... that said because I picked a soft compound, they are wearing and will need replaced. Also when installing they are orientation specific. So depending on what you use to stick them the clock is running to get them in the proper position.

The Renthals had too much rise for my liking so I sold them. These seemed just right. New from yamaha are like $35 but you'd need the original top clamp or different risers as these bars smaller at the mount.

Last edited:

RainCityRider

Reaction score
Visit site
Our intended use of these bikes may vary a bit, I'm out to play and seldom commute anymore. That said I find the bars forward but not uncomfortable. They definitely have more sweep than yours. I'm 5'10" 32" inseam so the bike fits me pretty well.

SpidiGrips, I like them. They come in different densities, colors and all that... that said because I picked a soft compound, they are wearing and will need replaced. Also when installing they are orientation specific. So depending on what you use to stick them the clock is running to get them in the proper position.

The Renthals had too much rise for my liking so I sold them. These seemed just right. New from yamaha are like $35 but you'd need the original top clamp or different risers as these bars smaller at the mount.

I do commute often, but I also want a sporty feel and therefore more sweep. The previous owner was much taller than my 5'9'' frame and the position suited him much better. Would my heated grips fit under the Spidis?