Hells Canyon, Joseph Or, Lewiston Hwy.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
From Cambridge Idaho took Id Hwy 71 towards Hell Canyon Dam.

Hwy71.jpg

Hwy71-2.jpg

Once you get to the turn off, it's a 24 mile private road up to the Hells Canyon Damn. I guess the road belongs to the power company?

HCDamn.jpg

HCDam-52.jpg

HCDam-2.jpg

HCDamn-3.jpg

HCDam6.jpg

HCDam7.jpg

HCDam8.jpg

HCDam9.jpg

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Headed towards Joseph Or via National Forest Road (NR-39). The road was paved all the way, with it's occasional share of pot holes. Road is kind of technical, being that it's not that wide, the yellow lane divider was primarily absent and very little or no curve signs. But fun! The road by far was dominated by motorcycles! Very few cagers. Took a 3 mile detour to the Hells Canyon Overlook. The overlook was kind of disapointing but the 3 mile road to get there made up for it. It was in great condition, recently paved.

HCOverlook-3.jpg

HCOverlook.jpg

HCOverlook-2.jpg

There was more danger in Open Range than wildlife for me. Came across several encounters with open range. They don't move, they just like to stare right at you.

NF-39.jpg

The town of Joseph Oregon was dominated by motorcycles. After a nice lunch, it was just a short 2 mile ride down to Wallowa Lake.

WallowaLake.jpg

Wallowalake-2.jpg

Last edited:

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I've heard from several riders, that the Lewiston Hwy from Enterprise Oregon to Lewiston Idaho is not to be missed. I have ridden all of the roads in Malibu Canyon, Palomar Mt, ACH, Ojai, Sonora Pass, etc the list goes on and this has got to be the top motorcycle road I have ever ridden! It was just recently paved on the Washington side, so the pavement can't be more than a couple of months old.

A quick look at Oregon Highway 3.

Hwy3.jpg

From Oregon Hwy 3 turns into Washington Hwy 129. You can see the Welcome to Washington sign.

Hwy3-5.jpg

Hwy3-2.jpg

Washington Hwy 129, just repaved! It just went on for miles and miles, and after a while, I was actually begging for some straightaways. It was just sick! The road did finally straigten out once you get back up onto the plateau, but you go back down to get to Lewiston. So in summary from the Hells Canyon Scenic Byway, you're way up on the plateau, then you go down through a series of winding hair pin turns, and multiple switchbacks. Then you go back up where it flatens out ontop, but then you go back down. So you go through three series of this.

Hwy3-4.jpg

Hwy129.jpg

Hwy129-2.jpg

Hwy129-3.jpg

Hwy129-4.jpg

The familiar Hwy 95 and the Salmon River in Idaho, approaching sunset and here comes the bugs. Riding at dark does not bother me, and I'm use to it as this is really the time you can beat the heat if you ride anywhere it's scorching hot. However, the desert never had any bugs. Fortunately, I only had to put up about one hours worth.

Hwy95-2.jpg

Hwy95.jpg

So I did this ride in one day. Left at 0730 and got back at 2200. 640 miles. Not technically touring and travelling huh?

Last edited:

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
That looks particularly fantastic, as I am in Florida right now and there are no mountains OR curves! Not a one.. of either!!

Mudkipz137

Reaction score
Visit site
Awesome ride...check PM because uh... I wanna do this ride too.

Just did a quick google maps of basics on route, and from where I'm at it's roughly 400 miles. Thinking I'll head over and stay night in Cambridge (never been there), and next day wake up and head home.
Thoughts? From Lewiston on, the ride looks absolutely amazing, really want to do this.

Not sure if anyone else is around the eastern WA, ID area but would be cool if we got multiple people interested.

Mud

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Was there a pot of gold at the end of any of those roads, Kenny?

Yes there was, and it was that there were very little traffic on a Saturday. It's realy not a major travelled highway. Enterprise to Lewiston?

Awesome ride...check PM because uh... I wanna do this ride too.

Just did a quick google maps of basics on route, and from where I'm at it's roughly 400 miles. Thinking I'll head over and stay night in Cambridge (never been there), and next day wake up and head home.
Thoughts? From Lewiston on, the ride looks absolutely amazing, really want to do this.

Not sure if anyone else is around the eastern WA, ID area but would be cool if we got multiple people interested.

Mud

Not sure if you really want to go to Cambridge Id, not much there. Idaho Hwy 71 is good between Cambridge until you hit all the resevoirs though. I would recommend staying in Joseph Or. It's like the United States version of the Swiss Alps, that's what the scenery reminded me of.

I'm going to be heading back to Vegas for the Labor Day weekend, maybe the weekend after that if you are interested, or anybody else for that matter. The Lewiston Highway, what a hidden gem, best kept secret.

Mudkipz137

Reaction score
Visit site
Yes there was, and it was that there were very little traffic on a Saturday. It's realy not a major travelled highway. Enterprise to Lewiston?

Not sure if you really want to go to Cambridge Id, not much there. Idaho Hwy 71 is good between Cambridge until you hit all the resevoirs though. I would recommend staying in Joseph Or. It's like the United States version of the Swiss Alps, that's what the scenery reminded me of.

I'm going to be heading back to Vegas for the Labor Day weekend, maybe the weekend after that if you are interested, or anybody else for that matter. The Lewiston Highway, what a hidden gem, best kept secret.

Thanks for the input, I spent a few minutes in google maps, would like you to tell me your opinion of this route.

My Proposed Route

Don't worry about all the 'stops' or 'destinations' I only used those to ensure it tracked the route I wanted to take.

My priorities for it:
1) NOT straight, I'm from California and hate how all the roads around me are straight and flat.

2) Avoiding major Highways (as in I-82, BOOOOORING)--also... less cops off major highways and when I'm going for a roll it's for fun.

3) Nice scenery

4) Places to stay along the way. it's showing 844 miles, I think that's a good 2 days maybe 3 if I decide to stretch it out. Where would you recommend stopping? I want to see cool things, not really caring about being in the biggest city.

Other people's input also requested :D anyone else in the area tell me if you'd be interested in doing the route, or stretches of it.

Mud

mxgolf

Motoup
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the ride report Kenny! I was there last year for a blues concert in Joseph. Took the cage not the motorcycle. Might have to take the motorcycle some time. Looks like fantastic roads. :thumbup:

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the ride report Kenny! I was there last year for a blues concert in Joseph. Took the cage not the motorcycle. Might have to take the motorcycle some time. Looks like fantastic roads. :thumbup:

You should plan on heading up on the 2nd week of September. I think Mudkip wants to go and meet up in Joseph or nearby. Even though I just did the ride, I must go back. The pavement is not even two months old, I want to ride it before it gets all torn up again.

There are some interesting lodges and cabins you can stay at Wallowa Lake. Nothing like the Oregon Caves Lodge, where there was nada, LOL.

CALLING ALL NW RIDERS!