Help me design my tattoo

paulman

Reaction score
Visit site
Ive been wanting to get a tattoo for a long time but could never really pick out anything important enough. I know we have some creative and artistic people on here so I figured Id throw an idea out there and get some opinions, help or advice.
The tat would be going on the outside of my arm and could be as large as from just below my shoulder to just above my elbow. Ive been thinking about doing something with time such as a grandfather clock in black and gray and the phrase "you only live once" wrapping around it. Underneath would look something like 1984-20?? or something of that sort being the year I was born to the potential year of my death.
This would be somewhat of a motivational tattoo to me like when I am in a bad mood or feeling lazy I can look at it and be reminding u only get one shot at life which is the philosophy I live by. Its all up to debate right now looking for suggestions other than the grandfather clock to signify time, a different phrase around it, or something else instead of the dates or question marks. Opinions and Ideas are appreciated.

Sounds like you have already decided. :) Just go for it. I have a couple already and will be looking to add another sometime soon. Be warned - they are addictive.

I agree it sounds like you know what you want - in your shoes I might skip the actual years. Slightly OT I'm searching for a good shop/artist to get my first one done, so if you end up doing it in RI I'd love to get some feedback on who you used and the experience. Everyone I talk to seems to recommend skipping MA shops.

oooh...tattoos :) lol they really really are addicting...but worth it!!! imo just go up to a parlor and someone there should be able to draw up any type of idea you have...all of mine i have drawn except for my most recent one (which is ALMOST done peeling!!!! yay) i had my guy draw up my idea for me bc he does a better job haha

I have about 1/2 a dozen on my upper arms.Addictive is the word here ,lol
I also had a feeling of being unbalanced with one on one arm so went to the other then back to the first then back to the second and so on and so on . :D

You already have a good idea. Go into a parlor and talk to the artists and see what they can do for you. Mke sure to see their porfolio and talk to other people who have gotten tattoos there before to make sure they do good work. Dont be afraid to go to a few diffrent shops before you find the one you like.

They are addictive!! I have 14 and cant wait for the next one :rockon:

Enjoy and have fun

keep in mind that a tattoo is something personal that will be on you for the rest of your life so do something that you like and expresses you. Not what looks cool or nice because you might not like it in a couple of years and then what? Theirs no rush so think about it very well before you do it. It took me 8 years to decide before I got mine...

Last edited:
I wonder if this person regrets this one :eek:

ewwwww....can you imagine the nurse looking after him in the nursing home, sponge bathes and all?!?!? Sometimes you really need to think!!

That being said, I have 3 tats myself lol but not in places that will stretch or wrinkle :rof:

I agree..once you get get one you want 12...i'm on my third...just make sure it's something you can live with FOREVER~~

I like your initial grandfather clock idea. Dali's melting clocks are pretty cool too. Once you get your idea finalized, I recommend you do lots of research and ask around for a good tattoo artist. Visit the shop, check out his/her artbook and determine whether it fits your style. Only then after you:
1. get the object idea (theme)
2. pick an artist you like (color or black/grey)
3. consider the consequences

Then schedule an appointment and enjoy the experience.

Good luck and hope the tattoo GOD speaks to you.

Cheers.

I kinda like this Spidey tattoo :)

spidey_tattoo_1.jpg

I am on my 5th now, about to go in for my 6th for my birthday in the middle of November! All of mine in places people can't really see, as they are for me, and not for other people to look at... One on each top of my arm, both Egyptian symbols, one on the base of my back, a Chinese inspired design, and the most visible, a small latin phrase on the inside top of my left forearm... My next will be 'SPQR', as my family are from Rome, and I want to honor the heritage. Just need to pick a place!

Good luck with the tattoo, just be sure, and double sure on the design and place before you go in to have it done... you'll have it for a long time! :)

Ive been wanting to get a tattoo for a long time but could never really pick out anything important enough. I know we have some creative and artistic people on here so I figured Id throw an idea out there and get some opinions, help or advice.
The tat would be going on the outside of my arm and could be as large as from just below my shoulder to just above my elbow. Ive been thinking about doing something with time such as a grandfather clock in black and gray and the phrase \"you only live once\" wrapping around it. Underneath would look something like 1984-20?? or something of that sort being the year I was born to the potential year of my death.
This would be somewhat of a motivational tattoo to me like when I am in a bad mood or feeling lazy I can look at it and be reminding u only get one shot at life which is the philosophy I live by. Its all up to debate right now looking for suggestions other than the grandfather clock to signify time, a different phrase around it, or something else instead of the dates or question marks. Opinions and Ideas are appreciated.

hey I have a drawing for you give me a few hours and i'll have it up. Its a drawing of a wizard holding one of those old sand timer things. Anyways we name that drawing father time and that is what it looks like. My wifes father drew it before he passed away.

I kinda like this Spidey tattoo :)

spidey_tattoo_1.jpg

This tattoo is incredible!!! Wouldn't want it myself, but look closely at it....you can't tell if he JUST got it done and that is why the skin is red around it, or if the tattoo artist inked that in to make it look inflamed. And the shadowing "under" the skin?!? That is one talented artist.

That guy must love spiderman!! And that tattoo artist is super talented. I am a graphic artist so I pick apart artwork and photos for a living.

Make sure you see art on paper, but most importantly on other people's skin. I can draw with a sharpie on you, but I cant shade or ink you like my drawing may depict...

Back