HELP! New Helmet Smell give me a headache! What to do?

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
All,
I bought a new Alliance Icon helmet. My size and color came from a box vs being on the shelf. The problem is it stinks of chemical glue/resin/blah blah blah and simply sticking my nose in the helmet with out fitting it gives me headache.

I know some might think having it on, gives you plenty of fresh air or it doesn't fit right thus causing a headache but neither are the case.

I've had a fan blowing lots of air though it for a week now with all the padding removed. No Help!

I sat it on the heat register to warm it (about 180f). I made the room smell of the toxin within. Let it cool and placed the fan on it again for overnight. It still smells.

Any ideas? Is this where I take it back? It was made in October of 2010 and has likely been in its box most of the time.

I'd like to leave it cook in the sun but its not nice enough out to leave there.
Any ideas on what to do?

Thanks!

DDS

Reaction score
Visit site
cooking your helmet is an awful thing to do, you'll make the hard outer shell brittle.

good luck trying to take a used helmet back, its not like they can resell it. If you do don't tell them what you've tried to do to try and eliminate the smell!

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
cooking your helmet is an awful thing to do, you'll make the hard outer shell brittle.

good luck trying to take a used helmet back, its not like they can resell it. If you do don't tell them what you've tried to do to try and eliminate the smell!

My Mistake; I doubt the register temps are as hot as I said above. I was thinking of the temp "at the furnace", not the blown temp out the registers. Its not 180 as my kids would have burned toes! :( Prolly 140- 150??

Hint: the inside of car in the sun easily hits 150 to 160. Direct sunlight with its UV is more likely to make it brittle.

Jblk9695

Elite Member
Reaction score
www.MachiningbyBlake.com
Have you tried 409 or a mild detergent to clean the mold release out?? It may have missed that cleaning step in the manufacturing process. I wouldn't try any cleaning solution that is too aggressive as it might damage the helmet.

Jerry

nextfriday

Reaction score
Visit site
Try to neutralize the smell with some sort of spray or wash and air it out as best you can. Its just one of those things, you may be stuck with it unfortunately.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Though manufactured 2010 I'm thinking you just bought this helmet. The toxins are unacceptable! Get a return auth. number and return this for your money back. It's obvious some protocol was not followed or it may be that some factory in another country doesn't have to follow certain constraints with chemicals when manufacturing. Take it back! :eyebrow:

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Try to neutralize the smell with some sort of spray or wash and air it out as best you can. Its just one of those things, you may be stuck with it unfortunately.

Just called the manf. They said to do this, just wipe the interior with mild soap and water. Wipe dry and air it out with the fan as I have been doing.

If it doesn't dissipate to an acceptable level RMA'it and send it back. . .

So - let me do this and see what happens. Guy said he's been there for 4 years and has had about a dozen returned for smell. That's a very low return rate!

I'll keep ya posted. . .

Thanks!! :thumbup:

aziebell

Reaction score
Visit site
I would think you could return it as long as you never actually road tested the helmet. Where did you get it and what is their return policy? Maybe ring up someone in customer service where you made the purchase and see what options you may have. Explain the problem and see about an exchange (same color/size).

dxh24

Ambitious But Rubbish
Reaction score
Visit site
i've had dirt bike helmets with similar problems (according to friends), personally i really have "slow cousin eddy" smell receptors so i dont smell much :) anyways to fix it i did the soap and water thing and apparently its much better now. hope you get the same results :)

LERecords

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Just called the manf. They said to do this, just wipe the interior with mild soap and water. Wipe dry and air it out with the fan as I have been doing.

If it doesn't dissipate to an acceptable level RMA'it and send it back. . .

So - let me do this and see what happens. Guy said he's been there for 4 years and has had about a dozen returned for smell. That's a very low return rate!

yea.. i wouldnt use to many other chemicals (comming from a health safety chemical sale person) than soap and water on a helmet.. im sure someone out there sells somethign specific to wash your helmet liner... depending what you have acess too, you could try to find and odor NEUTRALIZER... otherwise i would just send it back.. nice to see that the company is going to take care of you.. says alot about a company that stand behind their products :thumbup:

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Just used some mild hand soap and wiped it out like 3 times. Letting the fan blow on it in between. That alone knocked the smell way down over the course of 24 hours. It made a huge difference!
Threw the leather gloves in for a day and wore it tonight and the smell is hardly there at all now! :thumbup:

I'll call it case closed!

As for the Icon - its got a little bit of wind noise but my ears weren't ringing or anything like that. It has several vents so I'm calling it a keeper!

As for the Sun comment above, I was saying that if left in the direct sun on hot day, its hardly any different than placing it on the air vent.

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
A quick update:
Helmet still has a bit of an odor, but that's not why I'm writing. The comfort, ventilation ports and visibility outward are very nice on this helmet!

While riding at temps in the mid 40F it was starting to get bit cool but sealed up, it was OK. I can't comment on hot weather but while riding in the mid 60F its very pleasant to wear as there is pretty good control over circulation. What is not obvious about this helmet: in the front on both sides there are fresh air inlet grills (Gills??) and inside the helmet is a dial to adjust the amount of air but it must be set before putting the helmet on. The other vents are obvious. . .

Around 70mph the wind noise does come in so sustained Freeway use could be an issue.

SSC_4024.jpg

2011-04-08_skullz3.jpg

2011-04-08_skullz2.jpg

Last edited:

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Update!
Something I failed to mention in the op was that I wear glasses and many helmets did not allow me to slip those glasses in to easily if at all. So, aside from proper fit, a primary concern was; could I get my glasses in there easily? Answer = Yes!

I'm guessing that's why the helmet has a bit of wind noise but over all, great fit for me, good air circulation on the 90+F days, looks nice, seems reasonable in weight, only partial complaint is that on long rides at 65+mph, it has shifted enough to touch my chin if I purposely extend my chin. As for fogging, only time it was an issue was an early morning ride with wet hair from the shower (50F or less outside).

I'm happy . . .