Hero for Hire
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
W

wrightme43

hayward makes great pumps.
pentaire makes great pumps.

I know nothing about the brand you posted. All my pump experince is from reef aquairums where a parts failure means the loss of thousands of dollars worth of livestock.

blchandl2

Reaction score
Visit site
Never heard of that brand either.

When you say "My pool pump went out" does that mean the bearings are bad, or is it an electrical problem? Bearings are an easy fix, I had to replace mine after about 4 years.

Cali rider

Reaction score
Visit site
Have the motor rewound and new bearings installed by a local electric motor repair shop. Motor will be at least as good as new. While you have it disassembled, replace the pump shaft seal.

It will cost about the same or more than buying a new unit, but there are times when mounting points, nozzle sizes and pressure/flow characteristics dictate repair over replacement.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Shreevy,

Did just the motor die? Half the time if the motor wont start but gets hot and hums it's the starter capacitor. If the winding are still good you might only have to change the capacitor. Also check voltages. Make sure all voltage is present. Is it a three phase or single phase motor?

Cliff

The Toecutter

Hero for Hire
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Never heard of that brand either.

When you say "My pool pump went out" does that mean the bearings are bad, or is it an electrical problem? Bearings are an easy fix, I had to replace mine after about 4 years.

I'm hoping all it is ,is bearing's...I went out earlier and fliped the breaker and I could see the motor jump under the torque,so I think my winding's and brushes (if it has brushes) are o.k. .I have worked with electric R/C motor's and completly understand how D/C motor's work,but this is my first into the A/C motor and I like to know my option's before I take on a project.sometimes it's just better in the long run to buy a new one....:D

The Toecutter

Hero for Hire
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Shreevy,

Did just the motor die? Half the time if the motor wont start but gets hot and hums it's the starter capacitor. If the winding are still good you might only have to change the capacitor. Also check voltages. Make sure all voltage is present. Is it a three phase or single phase motor?

Cliff
I don't think it's the starter capacitor.it was running when it stop.so I'm thinkin it's the bearing's...and I don't know what to look for to tell what phase motor it is.. :D

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I don't think it's the starter capacitor.it was running when it stop.so I'm thinkin it's the bearing's...and I don't know what to look for to tell what phase motor it is.. :D

Yes a bad capacitor will let it jump but it won't start turning. Can you turn the moto/pump by hand? Is someones sock in the pump?

Does it have 3 wires powering it or 2 wires. Don't count the green wire. That's the ground.

Does the breaker have 2 or 3 switches it operates at the box. Turn off breaker. Can you physically turn the pump by hand? Like maybe where the coupling is. It should turn freely but if not, You're probably right about the bearing. Then which bearing? You should be able to detach the motor at the coupling and then try turning the pump by hand and also turn the motor by hand.

Last edited:

The Toecutter

Hero for Hire
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I don't understand why you are running the pump 24/7? Your pool size should dictate how many hours a day you need to run the pump.
I bought this house in April of 2008.I have never had a pool it did'nt come with instruction's Nobody I know can tell me what or how I should maintain it.heres a pic what size is it? I think its 25,000 gal i'm not sure.

DaveMc

Reaction score
Visit site
This time of year, your pump should run 10-12 hours a day and do it in the daytime. Winter can be 6-8. But these run times are generic and also assume proper water chemistry. If I replaced it I would either go with Jandy or Pentair/Hayward. If you replaced it and like the idea of it running 24/7, look at some of the variable speed pumps on the market that can operate at really slow speeds to keep water moving but save energy. These pumps are DC, but they cost is substantially more. It depends on what it's worth to you.

The Toecutter

Hero for Hire
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I removed the motor from the pump housing.while it was laying there,I turned on the switch the motor hummed,I turned the impeller with the toe of my shoe and it starting running again and sounded normal...I flipped the switch off and it would not start again without me turning the impeller manually.it's a Centurion switchless Motor,no switch,no govenor.IS WHAT IT SAYS on the name plate.model#15718001 (any ideas?) :confused:

FizzySix

Drunken Philosopher
Reaction score
Visit site
I bought this house in April of 2008.I have never had a pool it did'nt come with instruction's Nobody I know can tell me what or how I should maintain it.

I'm new to pool ownership myself, and found the following two books at my local library to be very helpful: "What Color Is Your Swimming Pool" and "The Ultimate Pool Maintenance Guide." Start with the "what color" one to get the basics down, and the second is a virtual encyclopedia that gets far more in-depth.

The other thing you could do, which some friends of mine did when they bought their house with a pool: find a pool service technician who will come out to open or close your pool once, and also give you an education on how to maintain it. Some offer that service.

Finally, if you know who the previous owners bought the pool from, that dealer should have a maintenance plan, test kits, etc. to get you started (they won't hesitate to sell you chemicals!).

Back to your original question though, Hayward pumps have a fine reputation, but one dealer here told me that they actually use varying manufacturers and put their name on it. The one I saw was actually manufactured by AO Smith if I recall.

Good luck!

blchandl2

Reaction score
Visit site
Sounds like a motor start capacitor is bad. Our well pump did the same thing. It would hum until the thermal cut off switch cut out, once it cooled down it would hum again. Give the output shaft a little nudge while it was humming and it would take off. The capacitor was only $10.

This may help.

http://www.bestbuypoolsupply.com/media/motormanual.pdf

Last edited:

The Toecutter

Hero for Hire
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
THE POOL IS OPEN ONCE AGAIN!!! BIG THANKS TO NCCODER (Cliff) he diagnosed the problem over the phone,and yesterday I finaly found a starter capacitor for it ,and it is as blue as it ever was!!! :rockon: :thumbup: :thumbup: THANKYOU TO EVERYONE WHO REPLIED!! :Flash:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Yaaay! Kerplop! Splash! Bubble Bubble! Yaaaay!

That's so cool!

Cliff