hey squids

lazerfazer

Reaction score
Visit site
i need to know the process of getting another key, my bike was sold to me with only 1 key and no code to get another one from the factory/shop...
whats the process?? i see the Yamaha blanks on fleebay for 7 dollars, do i just get one and take it to a hardware store and have them cut it?

thanks

Marthy

Reaction score
Visit site
i need to know the process of getting another key, my bike was sold to me with only 1 key and no code to get another one from the factory/shop...
whats the process?? i see the Yamaha blanks on fleebay for 7 dollars, do i just get one and take it to a hardware store and have them cut it?

thanks

Sound like the right thing to do... As long as you still have 1 key...

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
i think that should work, i don't think the american FZ6's came with immobilisers which are keyed

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

thanks

No, that wont work, the key has a chip in it, hence why you need the red key to get a new key cut...The replacement key needs to have a chip in it, and it needs to be programmed by a Yamaha Dealer, or Locksmith, that has access to the code, to make your normal black key work...

The E-bay keys have no chip!

:thumbup:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
No, that wont work, the key has a chip in it, hence why you need the red key to get a new key cut...The replacement key needs to have a chip in it, and it needs to be programmed by a Yamaha Dealer, or Locksmith, that has access to the code, to make your normal black key work...

The E-bay keys have no chip!

Not in the USA. We don't get immobilizers here in the US. We have to use other ways of protection. :D

lazerfazer

Reaction score
Visit site
this chip you speak of...is it visible? im not sure which key i even have...

when i bought my first bike (new) i got 2 keys and a little dog tag with a code on it (this was a kawi bike)
so i'm not sure if it will be the same, but the kawi dealer said if i ever loose a key, i can get a replacement with the code on that dog tag...

unfortunately i don't have said dog tag w/ code; not even sure if Yamaha does this...the chip idea is kinda weird, but i need to know if i have the key with the chip or if i got shafted and got the key w/o the chip

no way i would replace ignition, gas cap, helmet lock, seat lock, that's too much work for someone who isnt friends with a locksmith...

Last edited:

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
I was beginning to think it was a super invisible chip

Sent from my R800x using Tapatalk

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
In our keys in Australia, we have a very small piece at the top of the key, that when removed, reveals the chip for the immobiliser.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

thanks

You know that "Hey Squid" worked! I clicked right away! :rof:

You can try Home Depot but you will have to tell them it's the key for your Yamaha electric piano because they have a policy not to make keys for motorcycles. That's what I told the guy, "It's for my Yamaha Electric Piano!" Don't know why because I can get keys made for all my stolen cars all day. :rolleyes:

You might just go to a regular lock shop. Be careful that the blank's thickness is the same cuz I got one made from a blank that was the same key but the key was thicker than the Yama key.

CBRF3RIDER

Reaction score
Visit site

thanks

Take it to a locksmith, you shouldnt have any trouble getting one made. I made duplicates on my Honda with no problems. I ordered a blank through my dealer then took the blank and my key and the blank to the locksmith. I think I paid 10 bucks for a blank from the dealer and another 10 to have the key made.

EDIT: Some locksmiths even have them in stock, just have to call around or go in and ask. Make sure you bring your key so you can make sure your getting the right length.

Last edited:

FB400

Reaction score
Visit site
the US version of this key has no chip to deal with. I bought 2 of the yamaha oem key blanks and had a local locksmith cut me a copy. very easy

trailhead

Motorcyclist
Reaction score
Visit site

thanks

Don't bother with eBay. Who knows where the keys are made and whether they are actually the right fit. Just go to the local dealer and get one there.

As far as going somewhere to get it cut, not sure what to say. I just had one cut at a local hardware store and it didn't work out. Fortunately the key wasn't cut deep enough so I can still get it recut. I think this time I'm going to try a proper locksmith.

Just my $.02.

trailhead :iconbeer:

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
Not in the USA. We don't get immobilizers here in the US. We have to use other ways of protection. :D

THIS!

We don't need no stinking immobilizers here. We deal with thieves the old fashion way (the way that actually works!)

remington870tacexpSmall.jpg

S197

Reaction score
Visit site
My FZ6 came with a dog tag that had numbers on it. Not sure what it's for but the salesman said I would need it if I needed to get a new key made.

this chip you speak of...is it visible? im not sure which key i even have...

when i bought my first bike (new) i got 2 keys and a little dog tag with a code on it (this was a kawi bike)
so i'm not sure if it will be the same, but the kawi dealer said if i ever loose a key, i can get a replacement with the code on that dog tag...

unfortunately i don't have said dog tag w/ code; not even sure if Yamaha does this...the chip idea is kinda weird, but i need to know if i have the key with the chip or if i got shafted and got the key w/o the chip

no way i would replace ignition, gas cap, helmet lock, seat lock, that's too much work for someone who isnt friends with a locksmith...

Last edited:

GTPAddict

Just a dude with an FZ6
Reaction score
theblattners.com
I bout some keys from EBay the blue Yamaha blanks for something like 1 dollar each. I took them to the hardware store and had them cut using the original. No problems at all, they work just as good as the original. A lot cheaper then going to Yamaha too. I had one made when I first bought the bike, but it was a plain silver metal key. Cost me about $18 for 2 keys! I have less then that in the EBay keys, cut and everything, and I have 4 of them!!

08fz6

Make no excuses!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
If you still have one of the original keys it should have, i believe it is a 4 digit code on one side of the key just under the black plastic. That is the code a Yamaha dealer would need to order you a key. The best thing anyone can do as soon as they get a car, motorcycle, etc anything with a specific key is write down the code that is on the key. When you buy new it is the little metal tag as mentioned before. I tape mine inside my owners manual which I keep with the title in a fire proof safe. For those of you that are forgetful write it down and put it with you house deed, birth certificate, etc somewhere you will be able to find it later.

Those members over seas I would assume your red key looks like:
001.jpg

The Keys our bikes come with here in the states looks like this, the code should be at the very top of the metal just under the plastic:
YH35rbplarger.jpg

The little metal tag looks just like the one with these keys:
images

Last edited: