HEY YAMAHA - Read this, FZ6 Owners talk about the FZ8

Right now this is what I am going to do.

• Keep my FZ6 or FZ6S

Votes: 132 95.0%
  • Buy an FZ8 or FZ8S

Votes: 7 5.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

fazer.rider

Reaction score
Visit site
i have a theory. maybe someone already said this. i think worldwide the fz1 never sold well and yamaha had all this overstock of fz1s. i guess the best way to get rid of them was to spin off the fz1 and make the fz8. so with the fz8 yamaha can slowly sell off all those overstocked fz1 parts. i mean... look at the two, the fz1 and fz8 are almost identical.

Rumpole of the Bailey

Reaction score
Visit site
Seems with these early statistics coming in, that Yamaha may not have done their homework ie
1. kept making the FZ6 and attract new customers and those wanting a new model
2. Now losing customers because the FZ8 and FZ1 maym not be an option and their once good customers may look to the speed triple or another Jap bike.

JMHO
:rockon:

dean2287

Easy Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Umm - why would I sell my beloved, tried and true, lean, mean, tastefully modded, super sexy red FZ6 to buy a Picasso looking bike made from left over Yamaha parts for thousands more, with no net gain?

Duh...

AutoXer

Reaction score
Visit site
Dear Yamaha -

All the FZ6 needed was a more real-world engine - more torque at a lower rpm. Nothing more. The FZ8 takes everything that was good about the FZ6 and throws it away (undertail exhaust, light weight, good price). I've owned two Yamaha's to date (both bought new) - looks like me next bike will NOT be from Yamaha.

jZ

Drinky

the Dutchguy
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Like I said in my FZ8 haters topic, most of your points make no sense.

Maybe in the US the price difference is too big, and too small vs a FZ1. For me in the netherlands it isn't.
Undertail exhaust melted my straps for luggage twice, and its only 8 kilo's heavier,
it has bigger disk brakes, front and back.

And just because you don't like this model, yamaha failed? I love it, and will own one before the end of august.

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Maybe in the US the price difference is too big, and too small vs a FZ1. For me in the netherlands it isn't.
Undertail exhaust melted my straps for luggage twice, and its only 8 kilo's heavier,

And just because you don't like this model, yamaha failed? I love it, and will own one before the end of august.
But you haven't ridden it yet. You may not like it as much as you like the look of it.

When you do ride it, tell us if you feel the same.

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

The undertail exhaust melted your straps cause you had them too close to the exhaust...i have done 20000km's of touring on an FZ6, and it aint melted nothing! Think about where you place your luggage straps, is the more relavent issue here!

My bet is that this bike is more than 8kg's heavier, look at the difference in the size of the frame, the swingarm, the forks....

The brakes have the same calipers, discs may be bigger, but i bet that is for big bike looks, more than anything...and with just a wee bit more power, but less than the older R6's that also used the same brake calipers, it does not need bigger brakes...period! The FZ6 brakes are good enough to post racing lap times, just 2 seconds a lap slower than Supersport 600 bikes! sometimes less in the right hands!

I am sure your FZ8 will bring you lots of joy, and it aint an absolute dud of a bike, it's just that it could of been so much more, especially on paper for a start!

Rumpole of the Bailey

Reaction score
Visit site
There is no option in this poll about 'hating ' the FZ8, we are mostly Yamaha lovers here.
What the poll says is that us FZ6 and FZ6S owners won't be buying the FZ8or FZ8S , currently 93%, which statistcially is significant.
It may also be something I believe Yamaha havn't considered in this marketing ploy.

The fact of the matter is I have seen this phenomenon before. I am old enough to remember 2 other bikes this has happened to.
1970's Honda CB350
1970's Suzuki 2 stroke 500cc twin (road bike)

Both were the biggest selling bikes in their time and only died because of marketers.

WE DON'T HATE THE FZ8
WE HATE THE YAMAHA MARKETING DEPT AND THEY DON'T DESIGN OR RIDE BIKES.

Rumps:Flip:

Caz

Reaction score
Visit site
You can please some of the people, all of the time, and all of the people, some of the time. But you can't please all of the people all of the time.

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
You can please some of the people, all of the time, and all of the people, some of the time. But you can't please all of the people all of the time.

Some of the people equals about 5.5% of people on this forum, who have voted = EPIC FAIL!

Caz

Reaction score
Visit site
Buying a motorcycle is a very emotional decision.
People buy a particular bike for many different reasons and they also DONT buy certain bikes for just as many reasons.
Working for a dealership is interesting. It definately put's things in a different perspective.
As far as marketing and models goes, we have zero input. Yamaha are very tight lipped about all info and up until last week when the FZ8 actually turned up in a box on a truck, we had no idea it was being released. Sure, our order had been placed but delivery dates had not been advised. The public will decide if the model will be a success or not, whatever we have to say here makes no difference at all.... they have already spent the money, the model is on the shop floor, aint no turning back now.

Personally I am happy with my FZ6, I have no intention of selling at this point.

I sat on both the FZ8 and FZ1 tonight after work, whilst shooting the breeze with the sales guys, then I got on my little beast and roared home. My opinion has always been that the FZ6 will always be a far better bike than I am a rider, and until that day changes, iI can see no reason to get another bike. I ride everything that comes into the workshop, nothing suits me better than what I already have. and now I have pipes, the love affair has started all over again lol.

Dealerships are in business to make money, they do what they can with the product/s they have. Time will tell I guess. Where as I work in the service department, my role is totally different. I foster long term relationships with my customers, moreso than the sales department who have no further or very limited contact with the customer once delivery of the bike has taken place. We even have customers that have bought alternative brands and continued to use our service centre because they have confidence in our team.
At the end of the day, for the FZ8, all I can really hope is that mechanically it's sound and doesn't bring me any headaches, being a Yamaha, I have full confidence.
The sales side of things, hmmmm, that's something only the punters can decide.

Drinky

the Dutchguy
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Well judging the 75 people that voted keep the FZ6, well ok, thats obvious.
Unless you've got money growing on a tree, the FZ8 will probably not justify the extra money.
But, being that its "made from spare parts", does mean it already has lots of items you can fit. Like my pazzo's from the fz6, akrapovic probably quickly engineerd a new mounting bracket and made the fz1 can available, and the latest FZ1 is a proven concept, it works, and is a solid bike.

grommit

...M
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Well judging the 75 people that voted keep the FZ6, well ok, thats obvious.
Unless you've got money growing on a tree, the FZ8 will probably not justify the extra money.
But, being that its "made from spare parts", does mean it already has lots of items you can fit. Like my pazzo's from the fz6, akrapovic probably quickly engineerd a new mounting bracket and made the fz1 can available, and the latest FZ1 is a proven concept, it works, and is a solid bike.

Why don't you buy an FZ1 then, it is a better bike than the FZ8.

I like the FZ8, its just priced out of its league.

Drinky

the Dutchguy
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Its like I said in other posts,
the fz8 costs 10k here, the fz6 8700, the fz1 14000!!
3500 more for the fz1 is a big step up...
If I had the choice I'd get the 1... but money is the problem there...

Last edited:

Corbets

Reaction score
Visit site

Price isn't as much of an issue for me at the moment, so I'm not too worried about that. But the liter bike just seemed like way too much power for me to handle at the moment...

ka$h

Biking Noob
Reaction score
Visit site
OK, so I'm new to this bike lark, but from what I can ascertain from a lot of reading up (and my local dealer), Yam aren't replacing the FZ6 with the FZ8, it's the XJ6 they are pushing in the 600 market.

If you are looking to compete with the other streetfighter/middleweights, then the FZ8 meets that market. Other manufacturers are going up to around 800cc in that market and Yam aren't to be left behind so released the FZ8 for that purpose. The fact they are removing the FZ6 at all is a shock, although I cannot complain too much as it saved me a few pound notes on my shiny new FZ6 S2 which I pick up this weekend :D

jtarkany

Ronin
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.vcoe.org
Seriously, is there even a question :confused:

Cost:
FZ8: 11k US
FZ6: 7k US

Average Mileage:
FZ8: 35 mpg
FZ6: 40 mpg

Performance:
FZ8: 0-60 in 3.64 secs 0-100 in 8.10 secs 0-120 in 13.14 secs top speed 141 MPH Standing quarter 11.93secs at 115.87 mph
FZ6: 0-60 in 3.44 secs 0-100 in 7.87 secs 0-120 in not found secs top speed 227.8 kmh or 141.55 MPH Standing quarter 11.30 secs at 119.42 mph
(Reference: Honda 599 vs. Suzuki SV650 vs. Yamaha FZ6 - Road Test & Middleweight Motorcycle Comparison Review - Motorcyclist Online & Yamaha FZ6 Fazer)

Styling:
Well, that one is subjective.

3 out of 4 good reasons why the FZ6 is head and shoulders above the FZ8 :D

Last edited: