How is the site speed right now?!

Scorphonic

No Man is an Ireland.
Reaction score
Visit site
was slow there for a while here in Ireland, but that could just be the fairies knocking back the guinness.

EDIT: Nope, they're all sober, the site is just darn slow.

Last edited:

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I've sent a message to Admin regarding the slowdown. Please be patient while he works on resolving it. Sorry alll for the inconvenience.

Admin

Staff member
Reaction score
Visit site
I am trying a new backup system for the site.. Right now its uploading itself to an offsite server.... So how is the site speed.. I cant tell as I view it on a LAN... Does it seem normal.....

And... that doesnt work... Back to the old method:thumbup:

Sorry guys

Admin

Staff member
Reaction score
Visit site
Aye Captian.. I dont know if I can keep her together.....

Extremity

Junior Mint
Reaction score
www.echoplaneonline.com
There are ways to back up the site that will not decrease speed for more than a few minutes every 24 hours. How were you backing it up? We can set up a custom cron job to backup content to an alternate host at midnight, and after one full dump we can have it only pull NEW content, effectively reducing the load by a tremendous amount. It wouldn't take more than 10-50 seconds to run and after that there would be no increased load.

Another way to DRAMATICALLY increase the speed of the site is to implement caching. There's a PHP module called memcache that is fantastic and allows you to store data in system memory using basic functions. If you have full root access to your server it's really easy to set up and will make a huge difference. Basically, you eliminate the read ("SELECT * FROM `blah`") queries when pulling user data, which is something that is pulled ALL THE TIME. Right now, the way it works is:

Reading Account Data
1. Pull information via MySQL query (a little slow)
2. Put data into an array

Writing (Saving) Account Data
1. Write to database using MySQL query (slow)

With caching, this would change to...

Reading Account Data
1. Pull information from cache (ridiculously fast). If cache data isn't found...
------- 1a. Pull information from database (a little slow)
------- 1b. Add account data to site cache for future reads, meaning this step will never have to be taken again with this account (ridiculously fast)
2. Format data into an array

Writing Account Data
1. Write to cache (ridiculously fast)
2. Write to DB via query every alternate save (Slow, but twice as fast as before)

The number of writes you perform will be the same or halved depending on your implementation, but the main improvement is that you will effectively never need to run a SELECT query on the database (regarding user accounts) unless the user does not exist in the cache, in which case they will be added to the cache after their first read and will no longer need to hit the database, unless the server or apache is reset... in which case the cache will automatically compensate and begin to repopulate itself.

The best way to do this is with readdata() and writedata() functions. I've built a few of them, and they're great because you can perform certain tasks any time an account is read or written. It's very, very convenient to be able to perform checks ANY TIME an account is accessed by editing a simple function.

Here is some data on the memcache module. It's free (and open source from what I can recall), very easy to use, and extremely powerful: memcached - a distributed memory object caching system