How long have you owned your FZ6? And what would be your next bike (or dream next bike)?

Paul Myrus

Reaction score
Visit site
I've had mine 6 years now, not bored, but have itchy feet, went to take a test drive on Triumph street triple 765 rs, I'm 6.3ft The bike was very cramped to be honest, a let down to say the least, I was going to go for one.
Ahh well.
Aprilia Tuono would be a dream move up for me, v pricey thou
What's your thoughts folks?

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I've had mine since 2009. Bought used off my friend (his son first bike, laid down several times) as a "beater" (4500 miles).

Fell in love with it after fixing it back up, pipes, etc. Liked it so much I sold my other 3 bikes ('04 FJR, 04 Goldwing, 05 KLR 250) and only have this one..

I can afford anything I want however THIS is my favorite bike...
Not stupid fast, handles great, bullet proof, easy on maintenance, etc... I like that it doesn't have all the new electronic crap, ABS, cruise, etc. Just more stuff to break, a basic bike that meets all my needs/wants..

Ben sIII

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I am in a similar boat, i bought mine in 2012, fixed up the suspension and brakes and it is a pretty good all rounder. I have been looking at alternatives for years but can not quite find anything that really fits the bill, maybe the MT09 SP, but it doesn't have enough gains over the fz to justify replacing it.

Ohendo

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Sold my FZ this past summer, upgraded to a BMW 850GS. I miss the FZ but the BMW fits my frame better (6’2). As I got older my knees yelled at me after sitting on the FZ for a few hours.

Cruise control is a game changer, and I appreciate the ABS for safety. But as I said, I do miss the FZ6.

agf

Go Naked- Its liberating
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Like Ohendo, I recently sold on my FZ but I moved to an XSR900. Primarily as I love the look of the bike, the ergonomics are close (but for me, way better than the FZ ) so my knees are really grateful. Cruise control I can live without but the other safety doodahs like ABS and traction control are what swung me across. I understand Scott's position about things that could go wrong..... but its a Yamaha!

gnyce

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
It is the all-rounder nature that keeps me engaged. But let's say I wrecked it - what would replace it? Like for like, I'd probably do a BMW F800ST or F800GT.... parallel-twin, belt drive, ST adds ABS and newer GT adds ESA and ASC, etc. But I am also intrigued by the mid+-2000's Speed Triples and the recent XSR900 - neither of which are idea for longer-highway trips. I don't love the looks of the Tracer/Tracer GT - "transformers".

Gary in NJ

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I so wanted (not needed) a new bike two years ago, but member Bigborer talked some sense into me. At the time I was really leaning towards a 790 Duke. There’s no doubt that the Duke is a better bike, but the reality is that it probably wouldn’t make me happy or improve my life in any way. It would set me back $10,000, even after selling the FZ. I’m with gnyce, if my FZ was gone, I’d replace it. But the FZ is my jack of all trades bike. I have lots of bikes (check my signature- it keeps growing) but the FZ is the “does everything pretty good” bike.

Now if someone could do me a favor and come steal my FZ (please leave some cash) I can go get that Duke…

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I so wanted (not needed) a new bike two years ago, but member Bigborer talked some sense into me. At the time I was really leaning towards a 790 Duke. There’s no doubt that the Duke is a better bike, but the reality is that it probably wouldn’t make me happy or improve my life in any way. It would set me back $10,000, even after selling the FZ. I’m with gnyce, if my FZ was gone, I’d replace it. But the FZ is my jack of all trades bike. I have lots of bikes (check my signature- it keeps growing) but the FZ is the “does everything pretty good” bike.

Now if someone could do me a favor and come steal my FZ (please leave some cash) I can go get that Duke…
I'm like you Gary. I REALLY want another bike, but I am an analyst by trade, and I have no issues in identifying 'better' and 'different'. Every time I wander down the new bike path, I ask myself what my FZ6 lacks, and I would improve with it's replacement. Short answer... nothing. I can get a different bike anytime I want, but a BETTER one is harder to find.

There are lots of bikes I WANT, but I can't sacrifice the versatility, ease of maintenance and performance of my old, crusty 2005 FZ6. I have had to do my share of repairs in the 9 years she has been mine. But she just does what she does.... every time I hit the starter.

I was reminded of this recently when I was on a group ride with a bunch of people I had never met. One of them had a new Harley Pan America... a really cool bike with lots of bells and whistles. Talking to the owner gave me a little new bike envy. Until we rode together on the 'big day'. His bike went into 'limp' mode twice during the ride. Really? I have 71k miles on my FZ6. He had less than 2K on the Harley...... The dealer will likely sort the issues out. Might need a replacement flux capacitor. All the while the fizzer just works.

Slow and steady always wins the race.

I might adopt a sister for my FZ (if I can somehow hide the transactions from the wife), but Rachel (that's her name) and I are forever together.....

gnyce

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I might adopt a sister for my FZ (if I can somehow hide the transactions from the wife), but Rachel (that's her name) and I are forever together.....

I have a bike with a noisy-engine that would look good in NJ! Just sayin' ;)

Missed the last part - "dream bike" - MV Agusta Superveloce. I just love love those lines, just gorgeous!

unnamed-2.jpg

DeepBarney

Reaction score
Visit site
Year or so now. Picked it up for winter commuting and to dip my toe into the sport touring waters (something my Bonneville hasn't complained about doing but I have).

If Yamaha ever brings the Tracer 700 to the states I could see myself ditching the FZ6 for that. Or possibly the Triumph Tiger Sport 660. Otherwise yeah I've yet to find anything available that fills the role the bike does for me that offers anything I'm interested in over what the FZ6 already provides. Wish we'd gotten the FZ8 with the half fairing here.

Paul Myrus

Reaction score
Visit site
Year or so now. Picked it up for winter commuting and to dip my toe into the sport touring waters (something my Bonneville hasn't complained about doing but I have).

If Yamaha ever brings the Tracer 700 to the states I could see myself ditching the FZ6 for that. Or possibly the Triumph Tiger Sport 660. Otherwise yeah I've yet to find anything available that fills the role the bike does for me that offers anything I'm interested in over what the FZ6 already provides. Wish we'd gotten the FZ8 with the half fairing here.
By Fizzy is the half faired version, makes a big difference on motorways, Yeah man the FZ8 Fazer, are like hens teeth over here!! rarely come up for sale!

bigdog9191999

High-tech Redneck
Reaction score
Visit site
i only rode the fz for a few months worth of riding got it fall of 08 ( had 2,500 i put 2,500 that fall, had 5,000 when wife started riding it the next summer and it has seems like just shy of 19k now) , but that is ok as i am a big guy and it is honestly a bit small for me, however the wife has been riding it the entire time and she still loves it, she cant ride as much as she would like to , but she does love it. and although we have discussed some alternatives for her until the fz gives out neither of us sees a reason t get her something different as it is honestly just about perfect for her, esp after some tweaks to fit her better ( shaved seat, lowering) .

i have ridden and owned several bikes overall and there have been some fun ones without a doubt. but it fully depends on what you would want from a bike as to what would be ideal.

bikes i have owned honda 919, tiger 955i, her fz6, tiger 1050, 1100 shadow sabre, 1500 goldwing and my current 1800 goldwing.

i loved the 1050 tiger great power from the triple, long suspension that soaked up Michigan roads pretty well handled well, i am a bit larger than my wife, and with her on the fz and me on the tiger we where about dead nuts even from a stop. but i was very happily surprised, after having the 1500 wing she could walk away from me on the fz (pretty sure i had some carb issues also) , but the 1800 wing is right back where the tiger was and if she isnt on her game 100% i will creep away. the cornering was only marginally better on the tiger than the big wing ( surprising us both) and the wing just fits me better and is honestly about the best all arounder that i have found for me yet, although i do lust after an adv style (thinking vstrom) a bit just because i want to try one out, but again the wing has surprised on dirt thus far also.

one that i rode as a loaner while my 1050 tiger was getting some maintenance was a 1050 speed triple, even though it was the same engine i was used to it was an absolute animal to ride. we came down an onramp and i eased it wot and was shocked with i grabbed the next gear that it set the front back down on the shift and was just flat quicker. not sure if the gearing is different, but the weight was not that different but it was quite the ride difference. and i knew then that as fun as it was it was not the bike for me as i would end up doing dumb things with it.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Currently have my dream bike, but a newer V4 model would be nice. 2014 Ducati Multistrada, purchased new in 2015. Sold my Fizzer a few years ago which I bought new back in 07. I think it had 107k miles on the clock when I sold it for $750.

Bill

Super Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I've had mine since 2009. Bought used off my friend (his son first bike, laid down several times) as a "beater" (4500 miles).

Fell in love with it after fixing it back up, pipes, etc. Liked it so much I sold my other 3 bikes ('04 FJR, 04 Goldwing, 05 KLR 250) and only have this one..

I can afford anything I want however THIS is my favorite bike...
Not stupid fast, handles great, bullet proof, easy on maintenance, etc... I like that it doesn't have all the new electronic crap, ABS, cruise, etc. Just more stuff to break, a basic bike that meets all my needs/wants..

I couldn't agree more. Besides an R1 rear shock swap, rearsets, and a slip on... normal maintenance, tires, and of couple batteries is all I've put into it... and a valve service a few years ago. This is the best (maintenance wise) motorcycle I own. IT JUST RUNS and runs good. I've had mine new since 2007. Had a lot of bikes before and some "better" ones since. But my FZ is an awesome bike. I'm 6'2 and yes it is cramped on long rides.

Not gonna lie. When I take my Duc out and I see the FZ sitting there in the garage I smile cause I know whenever the Duc is in the shop. The FZ will be there ready to go!

As for my dream bike / next bike I have it, 2016 Diavel.

Last edited:

7UPyours

Reaction score
Visit site
Have my bike about 12 years now and love it, my bike is mostly a commuter bike, it has been knocked over 3 times in the city while parked, my Corbin seat has seen much better days from sun beating on it to stitching letting loose and has bunch of scratched but one thing is for sure it has kept the thieves away (so far) as bike theft in Boston is crazy. I’m at about 35k miles and hopefully plenty more. Dream bike has always been 2008-2010 Kawasaki z1000 but I’m having hard time getting away from my FZ

LERecords

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I picked up mine new in Oct 2005. Currently has 43K miles. Needs a few new parts and bolts for "looks" reasons, otherwise still in top shape. Bike is really bullet proof!

MrMogensen

... That's me!
Reaction score
Visit site
Had mine since 2008 - bought it 2nd hand.
Added a few bits and pieces every 2nd year or so and mainly been used as a more enjoyable commute.
You are all going to hate me for it but I am maybe not far from pulling the trigger on something very else... an Energica Eva Ribelle RS. I very very rarely go on a longer trip that is past 1-200 km. And yes I have tried it... blew me away (in the good way).
We have a Model 3 and homecharger so simply makes sense for me to move on the EV bike as well. Tried a Zero SR/F but honestly the quality of just about everything I toughed and looked at seems less than my FZ6. Have read too many bad things about the belt drive aswell.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Had mine since 2008 - bought it 2nd hand.
Added a few bits and pieces every 2nd year or so and mainly been used as a more enjoyable commute.
You are all going to hate me for it but I am maybe not far from pulling the trigger on something very else... an Energica Eva Ribelle RS. I very very rarely go on a longer trip that is past 1-200 km. And yes I have tried it... blew me away (in the good way).
We have a Model 3 and homecharger so simply makes sense for me to move on the EV bike as well. Tried a Zero SR/F but honestly the quality of just about everything I toughed and looked at seems less than my FZ6. Have read too many bad things about the belt drive aswell.

Looks pretty sweet!

https://video.search.yahoo.com/sear...920dc49ed2e29bac25fdc60d34283191&action=click

pmmcanon

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi Townsend, my son tested the 2 or 3 versions of street bikes from Energica 2 weeks ago at Jerez circuit, he is a motorbike magazine journalist in charge of the proofing new bikes and make the article. They also blew him away :p .

cd4f1119-dc03-46a8-a484-058575000308.jpg

fa3767b5-4c5d-4962-9f26-14075bb9e134.jpg339faa27-0e5c-4e0d-9039-031436729589.jpgcaa36845-78b9-4146-be44-bea2f0862ec4.jpg
They also tested the Moto-e one in the circuit and was in love with she, lot of power and torque with top suspensions and brakes.
Coming back to the street bikes he says that you need to be tall to manage the weight when stopped but as soon as you move this weight feeling dissapear.
KR