• 1 Finger (Clutch)

Votes: 3 1.3%

• Total voters

Disco

A Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Always 4 on the clutch.

Depending on which motorbike I ride, its either 3 or 2 on the brakes.

To confuse matters, when im cycling its always only 2 on each lever.

crazy dave

Reaction score
Visit site
i use 4 fingers for my clutch and for my break i use my middle and ring finger. index for throttle and pinky usually sits in between. I dont know why, just seems comfortable

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
It's a bit complicated to change the poll as there has already been a number of responses.
Your idea of asking people to clarify why they use the number of digits they do is probably the best plan.

Nelly

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I always use 2 on clutch and 2 on a brake lever. From my point of view using 2 or less fingers on a brake lever is the key skill for any rider. Here is the explanation why below: Motorcycle Riding Techniques - Downshifting &"Blipping" the Throttle - Sport Rider
Thanks for posting the article, it would have added more weight to your initial argument if it were available. But lets not dwell on that.
I have to admit that I rarely ride hard enough on the road to warrant or worry about rear wheel chatter. This is because I am getting old lol.
I used to blip the throttle when I was a motorcycle courier because I rode very quickly. You know when you have miss timed the change down with engine speed because the rear wheel snakes all over the place.
I'm not sure not bliping the throttle like the AMA racer is an option on the FZ6, due to the really narrow clutch biting point.

Nelly

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
There is lots of info about trail braking and emergency stopping.
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJV9u43si8w]New 2009 DSA Test Part 10 Emergency Stop - YouTube[/ame]

How about some of the riding instructors chipping in with this one?

NELLY

YZF73

Reaction score
Visit site
It's a bit complicated to change the poll as there has already been a number of responses.
Your idea of asking people to clarify why they use the number of digits they do is probably the best plan.

Nelly

I agree, with the poll at this stage I think it wouldn't be the best idea to modify it.

Yamahaboyz

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have a radial pull brake lever, radial brake calipers, and braided lines, so only need one finger on the brake for breathtaking stopping power, but as for clutch, all 4 fingers, for deft and effective control.

:thumbup:

Wh0M3

Reaction score
Visit site
I was taught to use all fingers, and for the most part I believe that is what I do. I've thought about getting shorty levers because I would like to change up the position for the clutch. I don't like how the clutch lever is working right now, but I'm used to it.

FZ6_Dude

FZ6 Corner Carver
Reaction score
Visit site
i will use a mixture of two to three fingers on each side depending on the pressure that is needed for the situation... heavy braking and longer holds on the clutch get 3 fingers and lighter applications or quick shifts get 2 fingers... using pazzo shorty levers on each side...

foxbass

I prefer being on top
Reaction score
Visit site
Like almost everyone else here, I use a combo. I tend to start out the journey with convention - ie 4 all round but soon begin to quick-shift after 3rd so no clutch at all. Change-down then sees me with 4 on the clutch.
Throttle is mostly 4 except for hill starts when I will hold the front brake with 2 and roll the grip with my palm as I release the clutch - feel the back suspension load up then I'm off. This works particularly well 2-up and is dependent upon which foot is on the ground - usually both with madam fidgeting on the back so I can't hold it on the pedal!

DownrangeFuture

Electronic Repair Genius
Reaction score
Visit site
2 fingers on the brake, sometimes just one when I'm feathering it trying to go into base. That doesn't bother me because I have locked up the front with one finger so I know I can emergency brake like that.

3 or 4 on the clutch. Depends on if the pinky makes it there or not.

Grouse

Reaction score
Visit site
Use 2 or 4 on break depending on situation ( sh1t this is going to hurt is all 4). Only ever 2 on clutch as that is all I have, no pinky and only 1/2 of ring, due to alcohol and a firework when I was 15. Seems like a life time ago now but hay I can still pull a clutch ;)

Last edited: