How much charging overhead for electrical mods?

zixaq

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
So I'm looking at my next thing to fix/improve on the FZ. It needs to be cheap, because I've spent too much $$ on this bike already! The headlight mod seems like a winner, but . . .

My concern is about how hard it pushes the system. Adding an extra bulb on all the time is another ~55W draw. Enough people have done it that it should be fine, but given how cold my hands got commuting last winter, I may want to put heated grips on this year. Has anyone else done heated grips with the extra lamp burning? Will this overtax our charging system?

(If anyone has a link to the headlight mod with pictures, that would be super helpful as well. My search-fu failed me.)

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I have the dual headlight mod and have used both a heated vest and heated gauntlet gloves (Widder).

When slowing or stopping for traffic, I would simply turn off the heated gear. Once underway, crank it up..

Never had a problem in 5 or 6 years..

The BD43 headlight mod is a one wire mod that plugs into the factory harness under the battery tray.
The other end hooks up to your right bulb terminal (normally not used).

When switching from HB to LB or vise versa, ONLY ONE ELEMENT in the right side illuminates...
The left bulb is ALWAYS on-low beam...

Very slick set up..

And should you want more watts for some reason, simply unplug the RS bulb...

Last edited: