How to remove this...plug?

stark23x

Reaction score
Visit site
I just got a Givi topcase and mounting for my bike, and according to the instructions - which are horrible, by the way - I have to remove this part and replace it with theirs to mount the support bracket. The Yamaha part is 90338-21145-00 "PLUG,SPEC'L SHAPE."

65fRbp4l.jpg

Any ideas? I put vise grips on it and I can spin it but there's no earthly way to pull it out. I assume it has a hole for a reason, but I don't get how it might help me pull the plug out. That hole appears threaded but it isn't, that's just some kind of dirt or rust pattern.

I'm stumped. I assume someone on earth has had to pull this thing out over the years?

Last edited:

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I put the Givi top case on my 05 and I am trying to remember, bit I recall the part that needed removing was just a cap. Are you the original owner? I am guessing that there was a top case installed once. Maybe even a Givi! Try the Givi bolts I. The threaded holes.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I put the Givi top case on my 05 and I am trying to remember, bit I recall the part that needed removing was just a cap. Are you the original owner? I am guessing that there was a top case installed once. Maybe even a Givi! Try the Givi bolts I. The threaded holes.

^^ Agreed. Looks like something was there. My 08 has a foam plug!

So I do have to ask, what are you trying to put in the hole? It sure seems like this is pretty similar to what you might be installing?!? But if you must remove it -

A bolt into those "fake threads??", Vice Grip over the bolts shank at the head, and HAMMER the Vice Grips right next to the bolt! BAM! They Like it! Its like a slide hamster only different! :thumbup:

Marcin

Reaction score
Visit site
Or make a tread inside the hole, put a screw and pull out. But if it sits so tight than maybe it is a givi mount already? Remember, givi mounts dont have the tread from start, but a bit deeper.

2007Fizzer

Senior rider
Reaction score
Visit site
BE VERY, VERY CAREFUL! I recently put Givi side bag racks on my FZ6. The mounting rack for the side cases requires that you install a Givi "351 kit" first, which includes EXPANSION BOLTS that fit into the rear end "holes" of the subframe. On my 2007 FZ6, those 2 subframe end holes were plugged with plastic plugs. I pulled them out and inserted Givi expansion bolts made up of 3 separate pieces - the center bolt, the "outside beveled, tapered plug", and the "inside beveled, tapered cone". If you search for the instructions for the Givi 351 kit, you'll see that parts number 3, 4 and 5 are exactly these items, and exactly like the items in your picture (the instructions apply to 2004 through 2009 models, IIRC). Those expansion bolts basically anchor the entire Givi mounting system to the bike, along with part #1 which is a huge, C-shaped bracket that goes around the muffler on both sides. Once those expansion bolts are properly tightened, I doubt that you'd ever get them out. And you may well screw up your subframe tube ends trying to. Just run an appropriate tap through the expansion bolt, if necessary to clean up the threads; then, provided they're tightly in place, you can utilize them instead of having to install the ones from the Give "351 kit". I have no other clue about what steps you actually need to take to mount a top box, since I didn't mount a top box, just the side cases.

FWIW, I have both the Givi E21 cases (small, top opening, for short trips) and the Givi E360 cases (much larger, side opening, for longer trips and/or more junk). Both cases fit interchangeably on the same rack, so I can go broad or narrow, at my convenience. IMHO, the best way to travel, since any substantial weight in a top case would make my FZ6 even more top heavy! YMMV.

fazil

Reaction score
Visit site
One year ago i bought a yamaha oem rack for my fz6 but it had already givi rack installed, and i couldn't uninstall that plug out of that hole almost tried for an hour with hammer and screw driver. Tried to bolt on the original screw also to help it out but no way. Stuck.
I left it there.

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
I remember fitting mine, I managed to drop the plug inside my frame. Emailed givi and they sent me out another free of charge :D

MattR302

Awesomeness, Inc.
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey, I'm also from Hamden!
That looks like the piece for the Givi rack. There's a hollow sleeve, and then a threaded cone which expands the hollow sleeve. See if the screw threads in, it will thread in about 2" deeper than the opening.
If you need a hand installing it, I could help ya out next week.

stark23x

Reaction score
Visit site
Many thanks to y'all...this is exactly the Givi part you've all described and everything bolts up nicely. Special thanks to 2007Fizzer who's PM showed up right after I bought a slide hammer but before I used it :)

MattR302, you don't happen to have a red FZ do you? I saw a guy just a few days ago on a red one and almost tried to pull him over to say hello! :)

*edit Of course I just saw your icon so no, the red one isn't you. I blame the lack of coffee today.

MattR302

Awesomeness, Inc.
Reaction score
Visit site
Mine is blue with full Givi top/side bags. There's another guy on here, TeacherJoe, who's also from Hamden.
FYI, bandofriders.net is a forum of primarily CT guys, I'm the same screenname on there.