Hurricane Aftermath Pics

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I've never been placed in this kind of situation, but you know ahead of time that flooding is certain because of the storm surge, and you will have no power, you would think people would plan ahead.

I would make sure all my vehicles were full of fuel and possibly park it in an upper parking garage. I'd figure a lot of garages would be empty being that they would belong to most businesses and the employees would be gone. I would not risk leaving my vehicles at home or on the streets where you know it's going to get flooded.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I would make sure all my vehicles were full of fuel and possibly park it in an upper parking garage. I'd figure a lot of garages would be empty being that they would belong to most businesses and the employees would be gone. I would not risk leaving my vehicles at home or on the streets where you know it's going to get flooded.

I don't think anyone expected what we got. We've been through loads of hurricanes and have NEVER gotten flooded like this in most of the areas that did get hit. Usually the trees come down and there's occasional power loss for a day or 2 at the most. This one was very different.

Definitely a great idea to top off fuel tanks, stock up on water, etc, but you can't possibly account for everything. Imagine you park your vehicle up-high in some garage and the whole structure crumbles?

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Definitely a great idea to top off fuel tanks, stock up on water, etc, but you can't possibly account for everything. Imagine you park your vehicle up-high in some garage and the whole structure crumbles?

Did any parking garages come crashing down? Yeah, you can't possibly count on everything to go, but everyone should cover the obvious. I think topping off fuel would be one of them. Still, it was a major storm, and there were a lot of chances for people to prepare, or ignore it. It's not like a Tornado or an Earthquake where you have very little warning. Those kind of disasters are really tough.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Just found out my cousin-in-law lost everything :(

He was living in a walk-down apartment (not a full basement, but 3 steps down). He said water started coming in quick.. he rushed his 3-month old kid up the stairs (my father-in-law lives in same building on 3rd floor), by the time he ran back down to try to salvage some valuables, water was up to the TOP of the door :eek:

Now the walls are gone and there's about a foot of sand / dirt on the floor. Awful.

My uncle in Queens was asked to leave his building, yesterday, for 20 days.. they were going to put him in a shelter. I got him a plane ticket to FL.. he's gonna spend the 3 weeks with my parents in the sunshine state :D

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry to hear about these losses. Lisa and my family are dealing with material loss as well as lost services. The damage in some areas is very bad.

Sent from Moto's Droid using Tapatalk 2

edgeofnj

Reaction score
Visit site
Just found out my cousin-in-law lost everything :(

He was living in a walk-down apartment (not a full basement, but 3 steps down). He said water started coming in quick.. he rushed his 3-month old kid up the stairs (my father-in-law lives in same building on 3rd floor), by the time he ran back down to try to salvage some valuables, water was up to the TOP of the door :eek:

Now the walls are gone and there's about a foot of sand / dirt on the floor. Awful.

My uncle in Queens was asked to leave his building, yesterday, for 20 days.. they were going to put him in a shelter. I got him a plane ticket to FL.. he's gonna spend the 3 weeks with my parents in the sunshine state :D

Sorry to hear about your cousin-in-law's losses. Goes to show how quickly the surge came. I just heard from my building that all of the hot water heaters will need to be replaced at price tag of $1000 per owner, if done through condo association. That seems a bit high to me. Any local licensed plumbers/HVAC technicians?

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry to hear about your cousin-in-law's losses. Goes to show how quickly the surge came. I just heard from my building that all of the hot water heaters will need to be replaced at price tag of $1000 per owner, if done through condo association. That seems a bit high to me. Any local licensed plumbers/HVAC technicians?

Ouch! :( that sucks

NorCal FZ6

Just some dude
Reaction score
Visit site
To all the North Eastern members. I hope all is well in light of the Sandy aftermath. You have my deepest concerns. Especially in light of growing up in LI as a teen and having a big family there. Seeing the pictures filter through, it is unbeleivable.... I can't imagine a hurricane, never been through one. I still haven't gotten though to some of my family.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I read an ariticle that New Jersey or at least the electrical union is refusing or preventing non union utility crews from out of state in assisting to help restore power to the area. Sp people in the area still without power, this is probably part of the reason. Why would you refuse help in this time of need?

This is why unions are becoming less popular. Peoples should set aside their differences, whether it's politics, religion, etc and just agree to help the cause, union or non union.

edgeofnj

Reaction score
Visit site
I read an ariticle that New Jersey or at least the electrical union is refusing or preventing non union utility crews from out of state in assisting to help restore power to the area. Sp people in the area still without power, this is probably part of the reason. Why would you refuse help in this time of need?

This is why unions are becoming less popular. Peoples should set aside their differences, whether it's politics, religion, etc and just agree to help the cause, union or non union.

Most of those reports are wrong. In the case that probably started the rumor, the crew never made it to NJ due to a confusion over paperwork from the crews' own state.

Confusion causes utility crew to return from recovery effort - WAFF-TV: News, Weather and Sports for Huntsville, AL

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thoughts to out to everyone there. Hope everyone on the forum is safe over there.

Friends of ours left Perth a week ago for New York - they were competing in the Marathon for charity. Obviously that was cancelled. Only had a few texts from them but they are now leaving for Las Vegas :(

Very sad for everyone - hope they recover soon.

Last edited: