Hurricane Aftermath Pics

edgeofnj

Reaction score
Visit site
Here are some pictures I took of the hurricane damage.

10/30/2012 Morning after storm. View from my balcony of the street behind my building, which became a big lake.
DSCF0012.jpg

Buildings on that street where water flooded the basements and the backyards.
DSCF0015.jpg

Street in front of my building. No flooding, but notice most of the red plywood billboards (1 still up) on the scaffolding had blown off (damaging cars before being tucked into basement stairwells across the street).
DSCF0014.jpg

Street level view of the "lake" of rain and sewage water.
DSCF0019.jpg

Downed tree which took out light pole. The tree in the foreground had split overnight and was already cleared.
DSCF0020.jpg

One of the major roads into town completely covered.
DSCF0027.jpg

Another view of the "lake" from a different angle.
DSCF0028.jpg

One of the first stores that reopened after the storm. Of course, in Hoboken, it's a liquor store!
DSCF0039.jpg

CNN truck filming the "lake" with the mayor (not pictured).
DSCF0041.jpg

10/31/2012 The next morning, after constant pumping, the "lake" had been drained.
DSCF0042.jpg

The cavalry (National Guard) arrived to help rescue stranded residents and hand out MREs.
DSCF0049.jpg

DSCF0056.jpg

DSCF0057.jpg

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
One of my sons told me his company pipes everything to server farms and the server farm emergency generators were on upper floors but the fuel tanks that fueled them were in the basement. The tanks took on water and the employees tried to get fuel to the gens a gallon at a time but not good enough and they failed. Luckily his company has a backup plan and they only had a small down time.
We're getting some reports from family on and near the shore and it is heartbreaking to hear some of the loss.:(

edgeofnj

Reaction score
Visit site
Most important question is how is ur bike?

bike is stored at a garage in a friend's apartment complex in jersey city. it was okay when i checked on it yesterday. i just hope that nobody vandalizes or steals it since the garage doors are now open all the time (no power).

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the pics...pretty crazy! Was your flooding from rain water or ocean surge?

rdrManny

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the pics...pretty crazy! Was your flooding from rain water or ocean surge?
Storm surge. we had much bigger rain in tristate area than Sandy. Irene brought more rain. But Sandy was very very windy and that cause ocean surge and downed trees/power lines. Looks at jersey shore! Monday night we could see bluish light glowing all over due to live wire/transformer blowout.

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
+1 on the pics!! Hard to undestand the damage when you see it on tv, but when someone you know shows you.....

edgeofnj

Reaction score
Visit site
Storm surge. we had much bigger rain in tristate area than Sandy. Irene brought more rain. But Sandy was very very windy and that cause ocean surge and downed trees/power lines. Looks at jersey shore! Monday night we could see bluish light glowing all over due to live wire/transformer blowout.

in my pictures, what you see is mostly rain water, now mixed with backup sewage. however, since the tide was at a high, combined with the storm surge, the sewage system and the city's flood pumps had difficulty pumping out the excess water. that is, the ocean and hudson river didn't directly wash across hoboken and create these enormous puddles, at least not these.

mxgolf

Motoup
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the war zone pictures. Mother nature is pretty powerful. What a shame. So much distruction. I hope you, your family and friends are making due with the bad situation. My thoughts and prayers to all the good people affected by this terrible Hurricane. Too bad they named it Sandy. Sandy was my favorite aunt who passed a couple of years ago. She was just the opposite if the hurricane.

edgeofnj

Reaction score
Visit site
Too bad they named it Sandy. Sandy was my favorite aunt who passed a couple of years ago. She was just the opposite if the hurricane.

I think there will be lots of little girls in about 9 months named Sandy. :BLAA:

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Amazing all the destruction and it wasn't even classified as a Hurricane by the time it hit the NE. Just think what a Cat 3 or 4 would do? I know for many, people don't have a choice where to live, but for many, part of the consequences for living in an area that is susceptible to mother nature. Forest Fires, earthquakes, erosion, landslides, etc.

I took a lot of physical geography and geology classes during college, and a lot of places where people have decided to live are just not very desirable locations when it comes to the laws of nature. Unfortunately, there are a lot of people who are uneducated or have the lack of knowledge of what physically could happen due to the natural process over time.

FB400

Reaction score
Visit site
My garage is prone to flood with storm surge as I have had water in my garage before.. maybe 5-6 inches.

This time I got 30" in the garage. I was in a panic as I saw the water rising.

I had jacked the bike and my 2 firebirds up as high as I could get them.

Imagine flood water up almost as high as the door knob on the entry door.

My house also got 16" on the first floor so we moved everything up high but the place is still trashed.

Spent all week cleaning up, ripping out carpet and shoveling away storm debris

But the best news all week was the FZ6 and Firebirds survived unscathed!! :D

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
My garage is prone to flood with storm surge as I have had water in my garage before.. maybe 5-6 inches.

This time I got 30" in the garage. I was in a panic as I saw the water rising.

I had jacked the bike and my 2 firebirds up as high as I could get them.

Imagine flood water up almost as high as the door knob on the entry door.

My house also got 16" on the first floor so we moved everything up high but the place is still trashed.

Spent all week cleaning up, ripping out carpet and shoveling away storm debris

But the best news all week was the FZ6 and Firebirds survived unscathed!! :D

Terrible.. but awesome that bikes weren't damaged!! :thumbup: