I have a digital dialog and the other day it went blank?

tkdgio

Reaction score
Visit site
I have a yamaha fz6 naked '04, and the other day while i was riding the display that shows your speed, rpm's, fuel gauge (digital) and turn signals when blank it still shows the backlight when i turn it on and when i put the high beams on it shows the high beam light on the display but thats it, so Im wondering if its a blown fuse? and where would the fuse box is located for that malfunction? and where to buy the right fuse for it?

Capo79

Viking spirit
Reaction score
Visit site
To me, this sounds like a faulty LCD panel in your instrument cluster. I'm not an expert on LCD panels, but I've seen other panels like TV's and laptop screens go blank with only the backlight showing. In those circumstances, I believe it's necessary to replace the panel. In your case, the whole cluster.

The tell tale signs of a faulty LCD panel could be black spots, as if there's been a "leak". Most often on the edges of the panel. Such damage could be caused by someone pressing against the panel.

I highly doubt this is due to a blown fuse. If that was the case, the whole cluster would be "dead" showing nothing.

Hope this helps!

Edit: You also say the turn indicator is gone. That might indicate there's a faulty connection somewhere, either in the harness or in the instrument cluster itself. It might also have something to do with your ECU. What if you disconnect the battery for 10 minutes and then reconnect. See if that helps.

Last edited:

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
I have to think there's a loose connection somewhere..... as someone converted that bike to 'naked', I'd start with where ever those alterations were made. There are also reports of corroded connections starting to develop; but those are in England, where the climate is much more damp than AZ.....

Chaosratt

Reaction score
www.computing.zone
I do recall from the older model riders, that theres a wire or cable that runs near the cluster that rubs on iy. After a few k (or dozens of k's) it'll wear through the cluster housing and let in moisture.... zzzaaap. Dead cluster.

I could be wrong on that, but remove the cluster and check it for any unusual markings.
If it is dead, that cluster design cannot be repaired (theres no way to open it).

Capo79

Viking spirit
Reaction score
Visit site
I do recall from the older model riders, that theres a wire or cable that runs near the cluster that rubs on iy. After a few k (or dozens of k's) it'll wear through the cluster housing and let in moisture.... zzzaaap. Dead cluster.

I could be wrong on that, but remove the cluster and check it for any unusual markings.
If it is dead, that cluster design cannot be repaired (theres no way to open it).

That could be a problem on bikes with the round cluster. I've noticed on my own bike that the brake fluid hose is rubbing against the cluster, which in turn has made a groove in the cluster plastic. On the other hand, this isn't a "hidden" problem as this is very visible and it's easy to fix. All you need to do is nudge either the cluster or the master cylinder.

Chaosratt

Reaction score
www.computing.zone
I thought so. It may be an easy problem to fix if it hasn't broken anything yet, but if its already broken the seal and let in water I think the OP may be SOL.