I wasn't paying attention :(

Wh0M3

Reaction score
Visit site
I have been using a master lock to secure my helmet to my bike because there isn't a under seat option. I wasn't paying attention last night when I locked up my helmet to the back and when I came out to leave I found my mistake. I put the lock on backwards. I didn't know you could even do that. So my key wouldn't fit in and I was stuck with my helmet locked. I ended up cutting my strap to free my helmet so I could at least wear it on the ride home.

I'm now looking for a new helmet because I don't think I can just replace the strap. Lucky for me it wasn't that expensive of a helmet (HJC CL-SP).

zmeiaspas

The tall one
Reaction score
Visit site
I wonder who on Earth was the ****ty engineer who came up with this terrible design. How can someone sell a product that can so easily screw you over is beyond me.

Well at least be glad it wasn't a $800 Arai or something. On the bright side - time for new helmet shopping!! :D

Wh0M3

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm starting to wonder how hard it would be to create my own under seat lock for my helmet.

on a side note, I do remember it being kinda tough to get on, I guess that should have been my first clue.

LCR

Reaction score
Visit site
Depending on the route home I would not have worn it and cut the lock later. In my case I live like 3mins from work and its through a neighborhood @30mph.

luck you gets to go shopping and upgrade. I remember a friend reataching straps though, I'll see if it was a redneck thing or a legit safe way and get back to you.

Last edited:

LCR

Reaction score
Visit site
His helmet had the straps screwed in. He went and bought nylon webbing from a fabric store and simply took the screw out and replaced the webbing. He used loctite on the screws but said maybe it wasn't a good Idea if he had to replace it again.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Bummer!
I use one of these ($6)
443251.jpg

Wh0M3

Reaction score
Visit site
Could you have cut the lock shank with a carborundum disc?

One of the guys I was with offered to have me ride up to his shop 10min away so he could cut it off. I live about the same distance the other direction but both were highway riding. If I could have done it back streets and in a shorter time I would have gone that route.

I looked at the helmet and tried to see what it would take or if it was possible to remove and get another strap. The strap anchor is under the foam padding so it wouldn't be able to remove without destroying the helmet's safty. I could cut the strap out from the anchor but I don't know if it's possible to buy another strap that would connect to it.

I believe I could "fix" it for a backup and sew the strap together at the cut and add in a couple rings too. It's just a question of is it worth it to try to save a $100 helmet...

tejkowskit

Gold Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Here is what I did with mine. All you need is a hose clamp. (The blue shop rag was just to keep the frame from getting all scratched up)

First you gotta remove the blue side cover. I did mine on the right side of the bike. Left could also work. Grind 2 thin slots into it where the ring of the helmet would go just deep enough to fit the ring. Mine is about 6 inches from the front. Put the hose clamp around the frame and tighten it down. Then you just gotta bend the loose end of the hose clamp in the opposite direction to act as a hook (make sure where you put the hose clamp lines up with where you grinded the 2 slots out of the plastic). With the seat on you cant even tell it was done. Here's some pics!

Here it is completed and put together.
Image02172012123219.jpg

Image02172012123210-1.jpg

With the seat on you can't even see the 2 slots.
Image02172012123254.jpg

Here it is with the helmet hooked on.
Image02172012123353.jpg

Image02172012123408.jpg

And finally, the helmet hooked on with the seat back on.
Image02172012123429.jpg

Image02172012123440.jpg

I have been using this setup for a year now and it has been working perfectly! Doesn't put stress on the plastic while the helmet is sitting there. I have also tugged and pulled on it to make sure it holds up. It even works if you want to transport a spare helmet with you. The back of my knee wraps around it perfectly.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Here is what I did with mine. All you need is a hose clamp. (The blue shop rag was just to keep the frame from getting all scratched up)

First you gotta remove the blue side cover. I did mine on the right side of the bike. Left could also work. Grind 2 thin slots into it where the ring of the helmet would go just deep enough to fit the ring. Mine is about 6 inches from the front. Put the hose clamp around the frame and tighten it down. Then you just gotta bend the loose end of the hose clamp in the opposite direction to act as a hook (make sure where you put the hose clamp lines up with where you grinded the 2 slots out of the plastic). With the seat on you cant even tell it was done.

I have been using this setup for a year now and it has been working perfectly! Doesn't put stress on the plastic while the helmet is sitting there. I have also tugged and pulled on it to make sure it holds up. It even works if you want to transport a spare helmet with you. The back of my knee wraps around it perfectly.

Very cool idea! I love this forum! :BLAA:

Wh0M3

Reaction score
Visit site

First you gotta remove the blue side cover. I did mine on the right side of the bike. Left could also work. Grind 2 thin slots into it where the ring of the helmet would go just deep enough to fit the ring. Mine is about 6 inches from the front. Put the hose clamp around the frame and tighten it down. Then you just gotta bend the loose end of the hose clamp in the opposite direction to act as a hook (make sure where you put the hose clamp lines up with where you grinded the 2 slots out of the plastic). With the seat on you cant even tell it was done. Here's some pics!

Here it is completed and put together.
Image02172012123219.jpg

Image02172012123210-1.jpg

With the seat on you can't even see the 2 slots.
Image02172012123254.jpg

Here it is with the helmet hooked on.
Image02172012123353.jpg

Image02172012123408.jpg

And finally, the helmet hooked on with the seat back on.
Image02172012123429.jpg

Image02172012123440.jpg

This will be my next mod for sure. I love this idea. Thanks!!!:thumbup::rockon:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Here is what the strap looks like now this used to be the loop where the two D rings were.

Get a thimble, some nylon thread and sew it! That's what I would do. If you have to go to some one who sews and explain the importance of a proper repair. I could sew that and you'd pull the the mounting out of the helmet before you'd break the repair!

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
For the sake of $100, I would NEVER try to jerry-rig or bodgy up your helmet.

Take it as a lesson learned and get a new one - for the sake of the hundred, your helmet could come off in an accident and kill you.

Not even an option, in my opinion.

Cheers,
Rick

phranK2k11

Chat Camper :)
Reaction score
Visit site
Get a thimble, some nylon thread and sew it! That's what I would do. If you have to go to some one who sews and explain the importance of a proper repair. I could sew that and you'd pull the the mounting out of the helmet before you'd break the repair!

Not just an electrical genius but a seamstress too, is there anything you cant do?

The hose clamp helmet lock is next on my mod list too!! :thumbup:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Not just an electrical genius but a seamstress too, is there anything you cant do?

The hose clamp helmet lock is next on my mod list too!! :thumbup:

When my Momma sent me into the the world it was with a spool of wire and spool of thread! :rolleyes:LOL!