Is my bike an import?

alanjonesbath

Reaction score
Visit site
First post, so hopefully it's not a stupid one!

I just bought an 2005 model (54 plate) FZ6 Fazer. I'm in the UK, and bought it from a large chain dealership, so expected that it would be a proper UK model. When I got it home on Saturday, I started reading through the manual, and a few things just don't seem quite right.

First, the bike doesn't appear to have an immobiliser. The light on the dash cluster doesn't come on, and there is no 'key' symbol there either, and I only have two black keys - the older style like I had on my 1994 Diversion. But, the manual says I should have an immobiliser, and three new-style keys.

Second thing I noticed is that it doesn't have the auxillary lights (side lights as we'd call them in the UK).

I thought all UK FZ6 Fazers would have had both of those, or were there models that didn't? The other thing it said in the manual is that on UK models only, if you hold the 'Select' button for more than 2 seconds, the display switched between mph and kph, which mine does.

Also, I though UK spec FZ6 Fazers had the wording 'Fazer' on the panels either side of the seat, whereas mine says 'FZ6', and also, I have two stickers on the swingarm - one about 'Tire Information', and the other about some US-looking conformity regulations.

I'm starting to wonder if my bike has been imported from the US at some point? I haven't had the registration document back from the DVLA yet, which I assume will tell me, but the 'first registered' date is in December 2004, which ties in with the copyright date on one of the swingarm stickers, which says 2005 (2005 model year bike I presume).

Can anyone shed any light on it for me please? If it is an import and I haven't been told, I'm going to be getting in touch with the dealer asap to see what they have to say.

Hi Alan, Mines an 04 plate Fz6 so I hope I can help.
First off, I do have an immobilizer and a red 'master' key.
2nd, it has a side light at the top of the headlight, but it's on all the time. When you first turn the ignition on it comes on, then the headlight lights when you start the motor.
3rd, haven't tried the kph / mph thing yet but I hope it works as I'm off to France at the end of May!
I had FZ6 stickers on my side panels but removed them. No stickers on the swinging arm.
Enjoy your FZ!

...The other thing it said in the manual is that on UK models only, if you hold the 'Select' button for more than 2 seconds, the display switched between mph and kph, which mine does.

ONLY. really? i have an '06 in the states and i did that on accident a few weekends ago on a ride and scared the mess out of myself for a second. looked down and i was doing 90. thankfully i was with a group so i just kept up. next stop i switched back to mph. weird that i'd say only on uk models since mine is a us model and clearly does it.

just curious... are you just wondering or are you going to feel like you got a bit of a downgrade if it's an import?

Is your bike the faired or naked model? Didn't they call the FZ6S the "Fazer" in Europe and the FZ6N just that, the FZ6? I'm trying to recall.

If it's the faired version, which I'm pretty sure it is, then when you say "side lights", you're probably referring to what we here in the US call "pod lights". The small lights inside the headlight housing that are above and to the outside of the main headlights, correct?

As far as I know, NONE of the US model FZ6's came with pod lights and most, if not all of the European version DID. I can remember that being a big mod that a lot of US FZ6 owners did way back when using the pod lights from a R6 (or was it R1?).

And, again, as far as I know, none of the US versions came with an immobilizer. We also only got two keys like you did (we didn't need the red key). I didn't even know about the red key until just a little while ago when someone mentioned it here and I thought I'd been shorted a key I needed by the dealer. Turns out, obviously, I didn't need it...lol.

Hope this helps. And, oh yeah, you're right about the pods next to the seat. On the US version it says "FZ6" and on the European version, "Fazer".

Do you think there would be some quality issue if the bike didn't come from the UK?

Hardly, Yamaha, no matter where they are assembled, are a quality product.

As Dean said, what makes you think the quality goes down if it's an import?

Unless Yamaha has a factory in the UK then of course it is an import! :spank:

Do you think there would be some quality issue if the bike didn't come from the UK?

Hardly, Yamaha, no matter where they are assembled, are a quality product.

As Dean said, what makes you think the quality goes down if it's an import?

Quality is not the issue but parts and service availability can be. In this country there are hundreds of "grey import" 400s and others that the dealers won't touch and for which parts can be impossible to find.

Well, if I would be you I would make sure it is not an import. Here in US/Canada, models are the same as the S2 but lack the pod lights (not big problem), the ABS (a nice bonus in Europe) and other small/insignificant changes. If it is a US model, all parts should be the same but then again, you live in UK, pay in UK and therefore should make sure you get the UK/European version with the extra bonuses that comes with the bike... but again, this is my opinion (ak: US model is a downgrade).

Thanks for all the replies so far. It certainly sounds like it is an unofficial import.

To answer the questions, yes it is the half-faired model, and it does sound like what we call side lights are known as POD lights in the US. I'm not worried about quality if is an import, I'm more worried about insurance, as we have to declare it as an import if it is one. Also, I paid for a bike which I believed (and the insurance company would believe) to have an immobiliser fitted as standard. So yes, it does feel like a bit of a downgrade, although had I known before paying for it, I might still have bought the bike. Now I'm feeling like I've been ripped off a bit :-(

To check if you have side lights use the ignition key to put the steering lock on you should be able to turn the key one stage further to put the side lights (parking lights) on, this should illuminate the tail light and the side light. Not sure of the legality for UK if you don't have this facility.

US bikes have reflectors on the side, one on the fork leg, and one under pillion seat.

US bikes have all the controls on the wrong side, throttle/brake on left, clutch on right, brake on left, gear selector on right, and sidestand on right :ban:

You need to talk to the dealer if it is an after market import as this will affect the price you should have paid, as you say may cause issues with insurance, and may prevent you getting a full MOT (you may only be entitled to a day time MOT, unless you fit side lights).

You should def have an immobilizer if it's a UK bike, as well as the POD lights. As everyone has said, the components will all be the same so overall quality is not the issue. You could check by calling your local Yamaha dealer (maybe not the one you bought it from!) and asking them to run a check on the frame number - they may be able to give you some info.

I would definitely be on to the people you bought it from if it turns out to be an import though. That's quite shady to make you think you are buying something which you are not!

Thanks. It hasn't got reflectors on the forks or on the back end.

Not having position lights isn't a problem - the MOT manual says they aren't required if the bike is fitted with a headlight.

I've sent the dealer an email, though I haven't had a response yet.

Were there any other markets where the FZ6 Fazer could be sold that wouldn't have the reflectors and also wouldn't have the immobiliser or position lights? Or were there any UK models that didn't have them? This all seems very odd!

Were there any other markets where the FZ6 Fazer could be sold that wouldn't have the reflectors and also wouldn't have the immobiliser or position lights? Or were there any UK models that didn't have them? This all seems very odd!

The reflectors are easily removed as they are on brackets, so having them is a good indication, not having them just means they may have been removed.

And this quote suggests you would only get what is effectively a daylight MOT

"This inspection applies to: all machines, except those which have neither front nor rear position lamps, or have such lamps permanently disconnected, painted over or masked that are
. only used during daylight hours, and
. not used at times of seriously reduced visibility

If this situation occurs the machine presenter should be issued with a VT32 (advisory notice) recording the above."

Your dealer doesn't have to tell you if a VT32 has been issued, and lets be right if they cover up the import they won't give you a VT32.

To check if you have side lights use the ignition key to put the steering lock on you should be able to turn the key one stage further to put the side lights (parking lights) on, this should illuminate the tail light and the side light.

I've checked the ignition barrel, and there isn't a 'Parking' position after the 'Lock' position. Doesn't surprise at the moment to be honest!

The reflectors are easily removed as they are on brackets, so having them is a good indication, not having them just means they may have been removed.

And this quote suggests you would only get what is effectively a daylight MOT

"This inspection applies to: all machines, except those which have neither front nor rear position lamps, or have such lamps permanently disconnected, painted over or masked that are
. only used during daylight hours, and
. not used at times of seriously reduced visibility

If this situation occurs the machine presenter should be issued with a VT32 (advisory notice) recording the above."

Your dealer doesn't have to tell you if a VT32 has been issued, and lets be right if they cover up the import they won't give you a VT32.

I guess that's where the MOT regulations get confusing, as the next section says this:

"A motor bicycle (with or without a side car) fitted with a headlamp need not have a front position lamp (but must have one on the side car, if a side car is fitted)."

...which suggests it's OK not to have the lamps, as long as you've got a headlight. The MOT Test Cert says no advisory notice was issued, and checking through previous MOTs online, none were issued before, so I think that will all be OK.

Thanks to everyone who's chipped in so far. It's definately looking like an unofficial import :( The dealer I've bought it from is also investigating it now as well, so I'm going to check back with him tomorrow. Does anyone know what my options are (legally) if it does turn out to be an import, rather than just some weird spec UK bike? Or is there any sure fire way of finding out? I'll try contacting a Yamaha dealer, and haven't sent Yamaha UK an e-mail as well.

i don't really have any solid advice but i'm curious to see how this turns out.

i guess if you like the bike and it's an import you could see how much trouble it'll be (insurance, inspections and such) and see if it's worth it. factor that in and ask the seller to give a partial refund (the amount you would have paid had you known that you didn't get the "goodies" that come with a uk bike... plus helping offset whatever hassles you'll have to go through to get it legal.

it's pretty crazy that the dealer wouldn't have known though.

i don't really have any solid advice but i'm curious to see how this turns out.

i guess if you like the bike and it's an import you could see how much trouble it'll be (insurance, inspections and such) and see if it's worth it. factor that in and ask the seller to give a partial refund (the amount you would have paid had you known that you didn't get the "goodies" that come with a uk bike... plus helping offset whatever hassles you'll have to go through to get it legal.

it's pretty crazy that the dealer wouldn't have known though.
From what I do know, it's been in the UK since December 2004, and has been MOT'd (our annual test in the UK for vehicles over 3 years old) without problem for the last 3 years by the previous owner, and was declared new when it was registered in the UK. The dealer isn't a Yamaha main dealer (though they are a main dealer for 4 other brands), so wouldn't have the detailed knowledge of what should/shouldn't be on the bike as a UK spec, but like you say, I'd still expect them to know and therefore tell me if it isn't a UK spec bike!

I have a 2008 FZ6, I know that the immobilizer is an optional item that not all these bikes have, my bike has the "side Lights" built into the turn signal lights that turn on with the key, and mine also can change from MPH to KPH by holding select, along with being able to change the bike tempature to air intake tepature by holding the reset button for a few seconds.

This is what I get back when I run the VIN through that site:

"2005 YAMAHA

FZ6-S*
VIN:
World region:Asia
Manufactured in:Japan
Year:2005*
Make:Yamaha*
Model:FZ6-S*
Body style:Road / Street*
Drive type:RWD*
Cylinders:4 Cylinders"

Doesn't mention which market it wad built for :( , unless that's what the "world region" bit is. Would an immobiliser, position lights, etc. have been standard if it was built for the asian market?

Back