Kawasaki Versys?

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
Has anyone had a chance to ride one of these? I know I could poke around and find the related forum here.... I'd rather hear from people who have the same reference point as me.:thumbup:

Wind protection, power, and ride quality? MPG? Handling?

Thoughts?

rjo3491

Missing The Fiz-Sometimes
Reaction score
Visit site
When shopping for my first bike, I almost bought one instead of the FZ6. Other than the one I was considering (which was less than a mile from my home), I've never seen one on the road. It's a nice looking bike.

Randomchaos

Flaming Hot Doughnut
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Test rode a 2011 model at a recent kawasaki demo day. Peppy little engine at low speeds, comfy, lightweight feeling. Wind protection was ok considering how small the front fairing is. It did feel like it was out of steam when I got over 60mph, and the engine braking is pretty hardcore at low revs, caught me really off guard, and made rolling off the throttle slightly in low speed manuvers kinda tough and take alot of focus. Other than that, not too bad of a bike, doesn't hold a stick to the fz6 in my book though. Fz6 feels more refined and stable.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I rode a the Ninja with the same motor. I know the gearing might be different but I thought the motor pulled nicely out of the hole and think it would be even more of a design advantage with the Versys. Nice low end power!

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
I rode a the Ninja with the same motor. I know the gearing might be different but I thought the motor pulled nicely out of the hole and think it would be even more of a design advantage with the Versys. Nice low end power!

At the price point for a left over '09, or '10.... it's tough to beat as a commuter bike. 5 Gallons of fuel, adjustable suspension, 'real world' power. I can't make up my mind about the ~6" of suspension travel. That's only a bit longer than typical OEM street bike levels.

A taller bike that lets you see over cars, and can take a pot hole without totally falling apart, with neutral ergos..... seems like a fairly decent stab at a street bike to me.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
At the price point for a left over '09, or '10.... it's tough to beat as a commuter bike. 5 Gallons of fuel, adjustable suspension, 'real world' power. I can't make up my mind about the ~6" of suspension travel. That's only a bit longer than typical OEM street bike levels.

A taller bike that lets you see over cars, and can take a pot hole without totally falling apart, with neutral ergos..... seems like a fairly decent stab at a street bike to me.

They are obviously entertaining the ADV rider with suspension travel and seat heights. I'm shorter and find it a challenge on those tall bikes. Sometimes I have to be careful on a super sport! I don't think you can beat the price performance combination of that bike and I think it's got a great motor.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Here's another option You might consider...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXYSlNu1H3Q]YouTube - Suzuki V-Strom Adventure Motorcycle Review[/ame]

macem29

Banned
Reaction score
Visit site
good friend that rides with me all the time owns one, but I've never ridden it,
he loves it, neutral handling, hooligan torque at the bottom, comfy ergos,
only complaint he has is the seat, the stock pan has two "bars" along the
outside of the rider portion with very little padding, they are there to allow
room for frame members underneath, he's tried a Corbin and it's better but
those 2 bars are still there and he can feel them after an hour or so, any seat
built on the stock pan is gonna have that problem unless it has a ton of foam
in it but that raises what is already a pretty high seat

rsw81

Keep it Kosher
Reaction score
Visit site
I've ridden a friend's Versys a few times. That 650 parallel twin motor is pretty nice on the bottom end, but kind of sounds like a tuned up lawnmower and runs out of breath on the top end. The riding position is very comfortable and the wind protection is decent enough for a half-fairing bike. I don't feel that it would be a move up from an FZ6 in my opinion except for the adjustable suspension. The Yamaha motor is much more refined. The riding positions are similar enough for long touring duties. I don't know much about the fuel economy of the bike, but a simple google search shows similar numbers to the FZ6.

In my opinion, going from an FZ6 to the Versys is a lateral move, not moving up or down. Each has minor advantages over the other in various categories, but is basically a push. I have a little trouble reaching the ground on the Versys due to it's high seat height (I'm 5'10"), but you're taller this shouldn't be an issue.

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
I've ridden a friend's Versys a few times. That 650 parallel twin motor is pretty nice on the bottom end, but kind of sounds like a tuned up lawnmower and runs out of breath on the top end. The riding position is very comfortable and the wind protection is decent enough for a half-fairing bike. I don't feel that it would be a move up from an FZ6 in my opinion except for the adjustable suspension. The Yamaha motor is much more refined. The riding positions are similar enough for long touring duties. I don't know much about the fuel economy of the bike, but a simple google search shows similar numbers to the FZ6.

In my opinion, going from an FZ6 to the Versys is a lateral move, not moving up or down. Each has minor advantages over the other in various categories, but is basically a push. I have a little trouble reaching the ground on the Versys due to it's high seat height (I'm 5'10"), but you're taller this shouldn't be an issue.

Thanks. I've ridden dual sports many times over the years, and am quite comfortable with only one foot on the ground, even having to slide off the seat to plant that foot.

If the Versys will romp up to around 80 without undue fuss, using about the bottom 2/3 of the RPM range in each gear, it's probably quick enough for what I want to do with it.

I've owned a 1971 Triumph 650 Tiger.... the Versys should leave that bike for dead. If the Versys is making around 60 RWHP, it's got enough gumption for what I need. More will just get me in trouble faster. Twins generally have more torque than equivalent 4 cylinder designs, and as a result have more engine braking. Due to less, bigger cylinders, it's not as easy to get it to breathe as well higher in RPM. But it makes it less necessary to row through the gears, as well. At least in typical commuting mode.

I've given thought to the FZ6R, as well. The underseat exhaust on the FZ6 made the seat too uncomfortably hot over time.... the FZ6R eliminates that. I just don't want any more fairing than what the FZ6 had. Too much turbulence. And I'd still have to deal with the budget suspension. At least I know what ails it..... And I''d lose that top end that I was already familiar with.

The DL 650 should be on my short list; if it had fully adjustable suspension, it would be. The fact that it comes to the US this year with ABS puts it in competition..... but the price point is not the same.

If the KTM Duke had a bigger tank, I'd think about that as well. Having had a small cruiser, I know how much I dislike having to fill up every 120 miles or less. 180 or so gives you many more options.

The Street Triple R is on the RADAR; if I can get a ride on one I'd be more inclined to consider the elevated price relative to a left over Versys.

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
good friend that rides with me all the time owns one, but I've never ridden it,
he loves it, neutral handling, hooligan torque at the bottom, comfy ergos,
only complaint he has is the seat, the stock pan has two "bars" along the
outside of the rider portion with very little padding, they are there to allow
room for frame members underneath, he's tried a Corbin and it's better but
those 2 bars are still there and he can feel them after an hour or so, any seat
built on the stock pan is gonna have that problem unless it has a ton of foam
in it but that raises what is already a pretty high seat

Thanks, that's quite useful. A tall seat means more leg room. Long suspension means even with that leg room, I should still have good clearance between pegs and road when in the twisties.

rsw81

Keep it Kosher
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks. I've ridden dual sports many times over the years, and am quite comfortable with only one foot on the ground, even having to slide off the seat to plant that foot.

If the Versys will romp up to around 80 without undue fuss, using about the bottom 2/3 of the RPM range in each gear, it's probably quick enough for what I want to do with it.

I've owned a 1971 Triumph 650 Tiger.... the Versys should leave that bike for dead. If the Versys is making around 60 RWHP, it's got enough gumption for what I need. More will just get me in trouble faster. Twins generally have more torque than equivalent 4 cylinder designs, and as a result have more engine braking. Due to less, bigger cylinders, it's not as easy to get it to breathe as well higher in RPM. But it makes it less necessary to row through the gears, as well. At least in typical commuting mode.

I've given thought to the FZ6R, as well. The underseat exhaust on the FZ6 made the seat too uncomfortably hot over time.... the FZ6R eliminates that. I just don't want any more fairing than what the FZ6 had. Too much turbulence. And I'd still have to deal with the budget suspension. At least I know what ails it..... And I''d lose that top end that I was already familiar with.

The DL 650 should be on my short list; if it had fully adjustable suspension, it would be. The fact that it comes to the US this year with ABS puts it in competition..... but the price point is not the same.

If the KTM Duke had a bigger tank, I'd think about that as well. Having had a small cruiser, I know how much I dislike having to fill up every 120 miles or less. 180 or so gives you many more options.

The Street Triple R is on the RADAR; if I can get a ride on one I'd be more inclined to consider the elevated price relative to a left over Versys.

Well, having owned an FZ6 and a Street Triple R and having ridden the Versys, I'd say you have an apples and oranges problem when it comes to performance. I'd say the FZ6 and the Versys are pretty comparable in terms of their intent. Mini-fairing, comfy ergos, reasonably soft suspension to soak up the road imperfections, enough power to easily cover highway miles. The STR is quite literally a Daytona without the fairings and put the bars on risers. The suspension is a bit tight, the engine is AMAZING, but there is literally no wind protection unless you add the flyscreen (which I did) - even then there is little wind protection. If you're looking for something to do some touring on, I'd say the FZ or Versys if frankly the better bike. If most of your riding is around town, some twisty roads, and maybe even the occassional track day... get the Triumph. You won't regret it. It's easily the best handling naked bike I've ever ridden. I found it easier to lean in than Monsters, MV Agusta Brutale, Versys, FZ6... the list goes on. It's just awesome.

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
Well, having owned an FZ6 and a Street Triple R and having ridden the Versys, I'd say you have an apples and oranges problem when it comes to performance. I'd say the FZ6 and the Versys are pretty comparable in terms of their intent. Mini-fairing, comfy ergos, reasonably soft suspension to soak up the road imperfections, enough power to easily cover highway miles. The STR is quite literally a Daytona without the fairings and put the bars on risers. The suspension is a bit tight, the engine is AMAZING, but there is literally no wind protection unless you add the flyscreen (which I did) - even then there is little wind protection. If you're looking for something to do some touring on, I'd say the FZ or Versys if frankly the better bike. If most of your riding is around town, some twisty roads, and maybe even the occassional track day... get the Triumph. You won't regret it. It's easily the best handling naked bike I've ever ridden. I found it easier to lean in than Monsters, MV Agusta Brutale, Versys, FZ6... the list goes on. It's just awesome.

As hot as VA is, I don't want or need a fairing in the summer. Make that anytime after about April, to roughly early November. A fly screen or a bar mounted windscreen will block what's needed after that.

The Trip R appeals for a lot of reasons. It's British. It's a triple.... a configuration I haven't spend a lot of time with. It's got very good breeding. High quality components all the way through.

I can give up HP for handling without any concern. Most of my riding here in the east will be relatively straight droning. I had ideal commuting out west, travelling 40 miles one way to work through highway and farmland, over hills going to 1200 feet. Deserted roads that I could rip on without fear of hitting anything other than the occasional deer or elk.:eek:

If I have top notch components, I will want to use them. It's my nature.

I liked how quick the FZ6 could be tossed from lane to lane.... especially after I upgraded the suspension. Rake and trail, wheel base, HP and weight all contributed to what should have been an ideal ride.... except for the buffeting from the fairing, and the sh*tty suspension. Oh yeah... the heat in the seat s*cked after a couple of hours in the summer as well...

If I spend the money for a new bike (which I will) it's either got to be top of it's form, or cheap enough that I can get it where I need it to be, without breaking the bank.

A slower bike that handles well, is almost as appealing as a fast bike that handles even better..... I know I could thrash on the Versys, without hitting speeds fast enough to have my license evaporate on the spot. If it sounds like a constipated lawnmower, all the better. No one will hear me coming. :)

rsw81

Keep it Kosher
Reaction score
Visit site
As hot as VA is, I don't want or need a fairing in the summer. Make that anytime after about April, to roughly early November. A fly screen or a bar mounted windscreen will block what's needed after that.

The Trip R appeals for a lot of reasons. It's British. It's a triple.... a configuration I haven't spend a lot of time with. It's got very good breeding. High quality components all the way through.

I can give up HP for handling without any concern. Most of my riding here in the east will be relatively straight droning. I had ideal commuting out west, travelling 40 miles one way to work through highway and farmland, over hills going to 1200 feet. Deserted roads that I could rip on without fear of hitting anything other than the occasional deer or elk.:eek:

If I have top notch components, I will want to use them. It's my nature.

I liked how quick the FZ6 could be tossed from lane to lane.... especially after I upgraded the suspension. Rake and trail, wheel base, HP and weight all contributed to what should have been an ideal ride.... except for the buffeting from the fairing, and the sh*tty suspension. Oh yeah... the heat in the seat s*cked after a couple of hours in the summer as well...

If I spend the money for a new bike (which I will) it's either got to be top of it's form, or cheap enough that I can get it where I need it to be, without breaking the bank.

A slower bike that handles well, is almost as appealing as a fast bike that handles even better..... I know I could thrash on the Versys, without hitting speeds fast enough to have my license evaporate on the spot. If it sounds like a constipated lawnmower, all the better. No one will hear me coming. :)

Yeah, the suspension on the Versys is certainly better than the stock FZ6 suspension. In terms of the power, I honestly thought the FZ had the better motor. But again, apples and oranges, 2 cylinder vs 4 cylinder.

In all peformance categories, the Triple is the by far the best bike in the naked middle weight bikes. It's got an incredibly motor with a hugely flat torque curve and tons of top end, great geometry for handling with suspension to match it, top notch brakes with steel braded lines, a comfy seat, easy to read gauge cluster with gear indicator, awesomely smooth transmission. It's only flaw is no center stand for basic maintenance, but it can be added as an aftermarket part. Go test ride one if you are even remotely thinking about getting one, you won't regret it.

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
Yeah, the suspension on the Versys is certainly better than the stock FZ6 suspension. In terms of the power, I honestly thought the FZ had the better motor. But again, apples and oranges, 2 cylinder vs 4 cylinder.

In all peformance categories, the Triple is the by far the best bike in the naked middle weight bikes. It's got an incredibly motor with a hugely flat torque curve and tons of top end, great geometry for handling with suspension to match it, top notch brakes with steel braded lines, a comfy seat, easy to read gauge cluster with gear indicator, awesomely smooth transmission. It's only flaw is no center stand for basic maintenance, but it can be added as an aftermarket part. Go test ride one if you are even remotely thinking about getting one, you won't regret it.

The seat has been the biggest nit I have heard the magazines make on the Trip R.... I'm somewhat surprised to hear you praise it. Not a bad thing, just surprising.

Me like braided lines. Me like stable chassis, and whippet quick handling.

rsw81

Keep it Kosher
Reaction score
Visit site
The seat has been the biggest nit I have heard the magazines make on the Trip R.... I'm somewhat surprised to hear you praise it. Not a bad thing, just surprising.

Me like braided lines. Me like stable chassis, and whippet quick handling.

I've literally taken my Triumph from Orange County to San Francisco in one sitting (only stopping for gas), which is about 500+ miles. For a stock seat, it's pretty darned good. The non-R seat is horrible, much like the stock FZ6 seat.

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
I'll raise that buy the whole length of CA.... I've ridden from San Diego to Salem, OR in one setting. That was on a V65 Sabre, in 1986 or '87. No problems with that seat, either.

dxh24

Ambitious But Rubbish
Reaction score
Visit site
Has anyone had a chance to ride one of these? I know I could poke around and find the related forum here.... I'd rather hear from people who have the same reference point as me.:thumbup:

Wind protection, power, and ride quality? MPG? Handling?

Thoughts?

I know this thread is 2 years old but I'm interested to know what happened, did you end up trying one out? :D

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I know this thread is 2 years old but I'm interested to know what happened, did you end up trying one out? :D

And I'm interested to know where and how you've been?! Haven't seen you on here in a while (sorry if I've missed your posts.. pretty busy lately :( )