Lane-Splitting Bill Proposed in Arizona

Wavex

Lazy Mod :D
Reaction score
Visit site
Lane-Splitting Bill Proposed in Arizona

Arizona is considering a bill that would allow Arizonian motorcyclists to lane-split when traffic is stopped. The proposed bill should make motorcyclists happy and help relieve some traffic congestion; however all is not well in the Grand Canyon State. After the proposal of bill HB 2475, the local ABC affiliate went to the streets to ask citizens what they thought of the proposal, and the reaction they got was not a positive one.

Motorcyclists here in California have been enjoying the privilege of lane-splitting for some time now, a fact that seems to be escaping many anti-lane-splitting advocates who view lane-splitting as an unfeasible and unsafe hypothesis. As such, Arizona seems to be just another state that is meeting the concept with strong resistance and pre-conceived notions.

It’s unclear how popular HB 2475 is in the Arizonian legislature, but if the proposal should go through, it would see a one year test of the law occur in Maricopa County (Phoenix, Scottsdale, Tempe, etc) during the 2011 calendar year. Presumably if the test was successful (we’re not sure what would define success in this matter), it would then be expanded to encompass the entire state in 2012.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm not surprised that most drivers view splitting with such negativity, as most don't understand the full reasons why it's done.

They must be educated before they just say yes or no. So maybe commercials on tv would help. Maybe showing a bike getting rear ended vs a bike sitting up at the front of the intesection.

We have no crumple zones and I think every driver will agree that if they were to rear end somebody, they are better off rear ending a car vs a bike. Minor fender bender with a car you're probably just exchanging insurance information and you're on your way. Hitting a bike, you're calling 911 for police and medical and your lawyer because the nightmare is just beginning. Makes you want to vote yes now.

Doorag

Reaction score
www.4dbrown.com
Someone needs to trot out a heap of safety data from Europe where you can do it most places.

FYI - if traffic is stopped, it's called "filtering". "Lane Splitting" is something you do when traffic is moving.

Last edited:

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
Well, good luck, Arizona. In a country where one must be 21 to drink or buy alcohol (actually, rare by world standards), most bars must close at 2 am (what?), "exposing" a woman's breast on public tv/beaches (OMG!) is considered a crime, more people per capital are imprisoned here than most (all?) countries, paying or asking money for sex is a crime (except a few NV counties), there is probably little chance that Arizonians are going to risk ridicule and criticism from other US states (except CA) in adopting a temporary bike lane splitting law. I suppose I'm inserting remarks deemed by some to be controversial here---I just don't consider mainstream America to be "cosmopolitan" and can't imagine other states pulling away from a--what I consider---rather conservative cultural mentality.

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I don't have a problem with lane splitting but ONLY heading up to stationary traffic at lights.

Saying that, I don't do it myself. I don't have the confidence.

I do have a problem with people lane splitting through moving traffic - that's just plain stupid.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Well, good luck, Arizona. In a country where one must be 21 to drink or buy alcohol (actually, rare by world standards), most bars must close at 2 am (what?), "exposing" a woman's breast on public tv/beaches (OMG!) is considered a crime, more people per capital are imprisoned here than most (all?) countries, paying or asking money for sex is a crime (except a few NV counties), there is probably little chance that Arizonians are going to risk ridicule and criticism from other US states (except CA) in adopting a temporary bike lane splitting law. I suppose I'm inserting remarks deemed by some to be controversial here---I just don't consider mainstream America to be "cosmopolitan" and can't imagine other states pulling away from a--what I consider---rather conservative cultural mentality.

That's why I live in Vegas.

Anywhere else in the US seem to have silly laws. But the most ridiculous law we have in this country is our legal drinking age. We have men & women who are serving our country, many coming back wounded or disabled, and when they return, they can't have a drink in a bar, go to a nightclub or gamble because they're not 21? Yeah, they can drop bombs and kill hundreds of people, operate multi-million dollar equipments, but can't consume liquor legally when they return fighting for our freedom? Either the military needs to up their minimum entry age to 21 or the US lowers the drinking age to 18. Last I checked, you're considered an adult when you're 18 here in the states.

Sorry, severe hijack!