Leo Vince Install

chunkygoat

Reaction score
Visit site
Good luck with that bolt, i had the exact same problem, with the same bolts. On my 08, it looks like they welded the nuts on the other side, maybe to try to prevent you from taking them off.

For whatever reason, I just skipped that step and bent the plastic to slide the old pipe out, and the new one in. I wouldn't suggest it, because you can break the plastic if you bend it too far...but it worked for me.

Good luck.

Shiloh

Squire to Lord Bouche
Reaction score
Visit site
Good luck with that bolt, i had the exact same problem, with the same bolts. On my 08, it looks like they welded the nuts on the other side, maybe to try to prevent you from taking them off.

For whatever reason, I just skipped that step and bent the plastic to slide the old pipe out, and the new one in. I wouldn't suggest it, because you can break the plastic if you bend it too far...but it worked for me.

Good luck.

Same here. I had an impact driver that after a few whacks, I could turn them.

Can't understand why so tight.:confused:

marke14

running on empty
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Can't understand why so tight.:confused:

I'd bet it's the heat cycling that the bolt and nut go through so many times (like every time you ride the bike to full temperature). After a while they sort of freeze together like that.

I had a wheel nut on my old Civic's front wheel that wouldn't come off, same thing (from the brakes).

krim

Reaction score
Visit site
Meng

It took me 2 days to put them on . ( i don't have a garage and i come late from work).

I took the morning off to put them on and oh BOYYY. On idle the sound is so deep.
I live in a condo and surrounded of buidling so the sound echos.;)

I have to thank Shiloh for selling me his pipes. They still smell like new.

Thanks to Jman for the info

:BLAA:

Jman

Metamorphic
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Meng

It took me 2 days to put them on . ( i don't have a garage and i come late from work).

I took the morning off to put them on and oh BOYYY. On idle the sound is so deep.
I live in a condo and surrounded of buidling so the sound echos.;)

I have to thank Shiloh for selling me his pipes. They still smell like new.

Thanks to Jman for the info

:BLAA:

Glad it all worked out for you!

ollper

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi!

Has anyone had problems aligning their Leos? Mine come too close together at the rear part of the pipes and makes it hard to fit the fender holding part in between the pipes. Both pipes are now in contact with this part (not good, resonating between the pipes and to the fender).

I was surprised how loud they were even with db killers in place, so I think I'm going to install that disc that came with the pipes to bring down the growl (I sometimes have to go to work 4:30 in the morning and I don't think my neighbors will thank me after I start the bike under their window...)

So I'm going the take them apart once again anyway, and if someone has ideas please post them.

Thanks Jman for the instructions, those provided by manufacturer were not very specific.

-Olli

Bikebiz

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Ha you = me. I just installed mine last night. 3 hours because of the annoying fit. Mine were also too close for that fender part. I also found that the fender bracket was touching the base of the pipes so had to put washers in.

I too found them obnoxiously loud with DB killers in. They drone at 3-4k, then again at other rpms. I'm going to fit the spark arrester in tonight and hopefully that does the trick.

My plan C is to take the stock cat pipe to a muffler shop and get them to splice and modify it to fit the leo pipes with a clamp or something. I'm determined to get it right, but for a commuter bike that mine is, if you're putting along at some slower speeds it's just not comfortable at all.

Let me know what you end up doing and how you go. I'm going to space the pipes out with washers so they sit a little more apart as well.

Oh and thanks OP, the manufacturer booklet was merely a parts diagram and some hogwash! Yours made it clear as day. Last comment for any future LV punters! Because there are so many variables to the mounting position, make sure everything has been test fitted (including the tail) before you torque up the bolts so you can manipulate if you need.

ollper

Reaction score
Visit site
I too found them obnoxiously loud with DB killers in. They drone at 3-4k, then again at other rpms. I'm going to fit the spark arrester in tonight and hopefully that does the trick.

Mine do the same right there above 3000 rpm. Sound isn't that bad actually until I put my helmet on...? I take it that the disc with holes in it is called spark arrester? Initially I thought I had a leak somewhere but that wasn't the case. Don't take me wrong, I do like the "Leo sound" but living here in a nice quiet suburb I don't want to draw too much attention.

Bikebiz

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Just finished installing the spark arrester. 1hr. Got 2 washers on each side to space the pipes wider but the plastic fender still hits! The other thing that doesn't align is the bottom of the fender unit to the base of the replacement fender hanger. I'm going to have to dremel it out.

Sound at idle is noticeably quieter but still raspy and nice. Haven't ridden it yet and that's where the proof will be. I'm optimistic.

I also wore different earplugs tonight on my ride home and found the sound of the pipes not as bad as this morning. Maybe just some air getting through on my old ones?

Also loaded a different map for the ride home and it hauls butt. Great power increase with the PC3. Loving that aspect. Will report back after my roost in to work tomorrow.

Last edited:

Bikebiz

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Rode to work, it's probably 10% louder than stock now (ie now too quiet!). Going to remove it, drill it out and reinstall. About an hour to change so not too bad.

If anyone has a better solution (ie make the removable db killers a tad more noise restrictive) that would be something to explore.

gjpollman

Reaction score
Visit site
Ha you = me. I just installed mine last night. 3 hours because of the annoying fit. Mine were also too close for that fender part. I also found that the fender bracket was touching the base of the pipes so had to put washers in.

Let me know what you end up doing and how you go. I'm going to space the pipes out with washers so they sit a little more apart as well.

If you are talking the center portion of the fender that goes in between the pipes (both plastic part and the metal bracket) mine too is touching the pipes but going on 1 month with the pipes and 600 miles and no issues the plastic seems to not be fazed by the pipes heating up... i felt the pipes after a 2 hour ride and while hot i wouldnt be concerned about that center piece of fender or the bracket.

philosopheriam

aka: Mr. Awesome
Reaction score
Visit site

I'm not trying to be a jackass, but did you consider what the silencer disc is doing to the performance of this system - I haven't run before/after tests on a dyno, however, I can't imagine that restricting your exhaust flow 40% or more helps the HP department. The disc is a restrictor, plain and simple....

If you wanted quiet, why didn't you stick with the stock exhaust system? With the DB killers and the silencer disc installed, you may have just spent close to $600 for a set of "show pipes." The Leo Vince exhaust system is designed for performance and sound, plain and simple!

I run my bike with the the disc and DB killers OUT - to be quiet, get into 2nd gear early and keep off the throttle.... It will be fine!

Last edited:

Bikebiz

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I put the disc in to try, and yes it saps the power to pretty much stock levels. Crazy. My intention with the pipes was to get maybe 25% more noise, but also a better tone (and of course looks and weight saving).

The disc isn't staying though, trust me. I'm either going to drill it out to the extent that it will be a halfway restrictor to what it is now, or leave it out and cop it. The power was sensational with it out. Then again perhaps I can just learn how to 'ride it quiet' through the heavy traffic.

Last edited:

philosopheriam

aka: Mr. Awesome
Reaction score
Visit site
May I make a suggestion (once again, not trying to be a dick...)

Give up on the disc, put the DB killers in, and ride more carefully around your neighbors...

After you drill the snot out of the silencing disc, have you considered that it might collapse/disintegrate over time, come loose, and start rattling inside one of your mufflers?

PS: Who gives a flyin f*** if your bike is loud in heavy traffic - maybe it will wake up some inattentive drivers and prevent them from rear ending you...

Last edited:

Bikebiz

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I hear you loud and clear. It's not that I mind upsetting anyone else, it's that it drones at the rpm I cruise at which really gets to my ears.

Here's what I did today. Drilled it with another 4 holes, test rode, still quiet-ish and not much chop. I expected better. Took it out and ran it just to compare again. And again just too droney at the revs I like. Drilled out some more and it's absolutely spot on. It's swiss cheese, but the noise is spot on.

So now I can get to a custom map. In the meantime the map I ran with it out works very well. I was surprised I had to drill it this much.

krim

Reaction score
Visit site
The other day i tried to take the DB kille out and i wasn't able too.

I did unscrew the bolts but the DB killer seemed to be really stuck in the pipes

Is there anyone having the same problem as me ?

do i have to yank it or wiggle it to get them out?

Bikebiz

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Like the pipes themselves, after time and a few heat cycles they will bed in. Best bet is to take some vice grips and lock them on, then wiggle around until it un-sticks. Once past the sticking point they should slip out easily.

Don't be afraid to shake aggressively.

Bryan-

Reaction score
Visit site
Seems i´m having the spacing problems aswel.. time to put washers in... stupid bracket

Last edited: