'Light' Front End

Doorag

Reaction score
www.4dbrown.com
Right. After riding my bike for a few months, I'm starting to notice that the front end feels light. I don't know how to explain it but it just doesn't feel really planted on the road. Is this common? Is it why everyone says the forks need new springs/oil/etc...? Maybe my riding position?

I haven't done anything to the suspension yet. It's still set on #3 pre-load on the rear. Would changing that have any effect on the feel of the front?

I'm 6'1" and about 97kg (~215lbs) without gear.

CanadianFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
Sit close to the tank....;)

Seriously...
If everything is fine with tire wear & pressure, stearing head bearings, and forks, then it's probably just your imagination...:)

W

wrightme43

I dont know man. Mine feels very planted. Let me ask you. Are you speaking about in turns?
If it is in turns are you accelerating? I dont know your riding history or what kinds of training or books you have had or read.

I can make the front end skim the ground under hard accel which is great but it feels real light then. LOL

You might up the preload to get less sag in the rear you do wiegh alot more than me.

Doorag

Reaction score
www.4dbrown.com
I dont know man. Mine feels very planted. Let me ask you. Are you speaking about in turns?
If it is in turns are you accelerating? I dont know your riding history or what kinds of training or books you have had or read.

I can make the front end skim the ground under hard accel which is great but it feels real light then. LOL

You might up the preload to get less sag in the rear you do wiegh alot more than me.

Sometimes in turns but also on the motorway. There's one very long turn that I take at speed and any small undulation in the road makes the front seem very flighty. Not under accelleration mind, just steady cruising at 70 - 80.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Right. After riding my bike for a few months, I'm starting to notice that the front end feels light. I don't know how to explain it but it just doesn't feel really planted on the road. Is this common? Is it why everyone says the forks need new springs/oil/etc...? Maybe my riding position?

I haven't done anything to the suspension yet. It's still set on #3 pre-load on the rear. Would changing that have any effect on the feel of the front?

I'm 6'1" and about 97kg (~215lbs) without gear.
It will definately help a little. It took me ages to get confident in my front end. I am small and I think my problem was that I was not understanding the amount of sterring input required to corner smoothly. Some riders dislike the OME Dunlops and fing the Bridgestones a better tyre.
How fast are you going when you start to feel a bit unplanted?
I find that at 60mph and above the front starts to bounce a bit. You are a good few pounds heavier and taller than me so your suspension has more to deal with. You know all about that anyway as you race.
I am going to do thicker fork oil first to see if that helps.

Nelly

W

wrightme43

Sometimes in turns but also on the motorway. There's one very long turn that I take at speed and any small undulation in the road makes the front seem very flighty. Not under accelleration mind, just steady cruising at 70 - 80.

I sure dont know man. I came from a ninja 250, so this bike feels glued to the road to me. In over 15k miles I have never felt anything but confident in the front end and rear tires. I have lost traction one time, leaned over with to much throttle. I just relaxed, and let the bike do what it wanted and it went right back to where it was supposed to be.

I mean you may have a actual real live problem. They are rare, but things happen.

Are you close enough to a friend on here that you could both swap bikes for a bit and see if they feel the same?

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I am about 240lbs and i have the rear set to 6 and could probably go up to 7 and my front end feels very planted.... unless i am under hard accelleration, then it feels very light...:D