Loose key in ignition

extreme601

Reaction score
Visit site
Right then, here's an odd one.

My key sits quite loosely in the ignition. To turn it on, you have to push the key slightly to the outside of the lock. Not only this, but when the bike is turned 'on', you can remove the key altogether.

Today I rode home from work with the key in my jacket pocket.

I'm posting because I'd like people's take on this, would you say it's something I need to get on top of right away, or just a problem that I can live with for the foreseeable future until I can get it fixed at my convenience?

Thanks very much.

DDS

Reaction score
Visit site

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Is it possible someone messed with the ignition switch? I would try a lubricant like silicone or a dry libricant. WD-40 is great but it tends to gum up later.

extreme601

Reaction score
Visit site
I've not done anything with it yet. I'll give some lubricant a go and see if it makes a difference.

It's possible someone's tried to tamper with it in it's past, it looks all very normal and there's nothing in it's history so I'm assuming it's just worn down from use.

Nice to know new locks pop up on *certain online stores* from time to time, I'll keep my eyes open :)

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I've not done anything with it yet. I'll give some lubricant a go and see if it makes a difference.

It's possible someone's tried to tamper with it in it's past, it looks all very normal and there's nothing in it's history so I'm assuming it's just worn down from use.

Nice to know new locks pop up on *certain online stores* from time to time, I'll keep my eyes open :)

I'm not familiar with what seem to be immobilizers in European countries. If you do plan to change anything out, make sure you research it if you have one of those immobilizers.

extreme601

Reaction score
Visit site
Ah yes that's a good point, I've heard about incompatibilities with the ignitions of UK/US bikes because of the immobiliser on the one's over here.

May have to get the shop to take a look.

PhotoAl

Reaction score
Visit site
Had a SAAB that would do that. I fixed it by dumping Coca-cola down it! Before any of you try this at home the rest of the story is I had to pay the mechanic to replace it plus enduring the redicule from my kids (their car).

Get it fixed before it quits working altogether.